Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX 400 2007 Black box and odd speaker

Have lifted nearside rear carpet to assist in removal of water from roof drain leak. It reveals a small speaker under the nearside seat. Cable runs back to a small black box fixed by cable tie to the underside of the cross member behind rear seats. The cross member is the support for fixing cabin carpet and rear trunk matting. Any ideas what the box is for. Does not look original as there are multi section in the speaker cable.

Sure it's not a Levinson amp & sub?  I have an IS, my sub runs the length of the back shelf and I suspect the amp is stashed somewhere nearby.  I've not seen many RXs up close but in pics and vids I've never seen a sub in plain view in the boot or on the back of a seat as they're folding (but the IS has non-folding rear seats so they're ideal for locating a sub behind).  If an RX has a sub I'd wager that it's out of sight somewhere as there's not many places to fit one into the visible interior.

If it's held in by cable ties, doubt it'll be a Lexus install. 😉

Probably someone wanted to make a seat rumbler by putting a subwoofer under the seat. Not sure sound quality would be any good without an enclosure, but it'd keep the wife happy.