Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brief Review of UX250h

I have had a UX on loan to me while the fuel filler flap on my LC was replaced. My partner has an NX for her daily driver and so I was able to compare the two.

The UX was a 2WD with the "fake" leather seats. These are comfortable and I could get a good driving position easily but I would have liked lumbar support adjustment. The automatic seat heaters and auto steering wheel heating was a good feature in this colder weather.

Over the 3 weeks I had the UX I averaged an indicated 46mpg. This compares to about 38mpg for the NX on the same usage.

My overall view is that the UX succeeds in living up to its name as an Urban Crossover. It is good for local journeys. It is easy to park in town. However it is not as quiet and smooth as the NX on longer motorway journeys.

My main criticism is the lack of boot space and the restricted legroom in the back seats. I am not that tall but the rear room behind me was quite limited. There is no way that the UX could accommodate 4 occupants and their luggage for a weekend away and I am pleased that we went for the NX.

• Like 4

I think that is very fair comment. The UX is really not much more than a 2+2, but I guess if you’re 5’6” then rear passengers will be ok. I’m nearer 6’5” so we are never going to fit anyone behind me!

The boot/trunk is miserly too, but it is what it is, as they say.  My wife’s much ‘smaller’ Seat Arona has much more usable room.   The economy of the UX is a big draw though.  I did mid-50s on my 24 hour test drive. 

I sat at the back of UX, I am 1.8m tall and my head was touching the roof, the same story was with IS, I had enough head room in ES and RX though. Boot another story - UX boot is a joke!

I think people make the mistake of ignoring the market segment at which the UX is aimed when commenting on the vehicle.

The OP stated

"There is no way that the UX could accommodate 4 occupants and their luggage for a weekend away and I am pleased that we went for the NX".

This is an accurate statement. The vehicle isn't aimed at that sort of use. To quote the brochure the UX is

" a new compact SUV created for cities like Tokyo".

I've been driving my UX for 5 weeks now and it is perfect for my wife and myself. On the one occasion my 5' 10" son sat in the back he did not have any issues. The boot accommodates our weekly shop. We are in the segment targeted for this vehicle - 2 people only with mainly urban driving.

If you want a vehicle to carry 4 adults and their luggage on road trips you shouldn't even be looking at the UX as it's not aimed at that market. The vehicle isn't suitable for this use because it's not supposed to be. 

I agree wholeheartedly with Lexus, the UX fits our needs perfectly. Mostly just the two of us, sometimes young grandchildren. Overcome lack of boot space by removing both plastic box/liner and replacing them with a Lidl boot liner!! 

On 3/9/2020 at 11:08 AM, Lexux said:

I think people make the mistake of ignoring the market segment at which the UX is aimed when commenting on the vehicle...

To quote the brochure the UX is " a new compact SUV created for cities like Tokyo".

I did say in my original post "My overall view is that the UX succeeds in living up to its name as an Urban Crossover. It is good for local journeys. It is easy to park in town... 🙂

2 hours ago, malcolmw said:

I did say in my original post "My overall view is that the UX succeeds in living up to its name as an Urban Crossover. It is good for local journeys. It is easy to park in town... 🙂

I did quote an extract from your review and state it was accurate. I wasn't trying to 'get' at you at all. Apologies if it seemed that way. Your review was balanced and made the point that you needed a bigger vehicle, the NX.

I was just making the point that reviewers(even the professionals, not you) pick on the lack of space in rear/boot as if that's something terrible, whereas the space suits the purpose for which the car was designed. I watched one YouTube review where the reviewer actually said that it was a pity that people focused on the boot space because it meant they would miss all the good points of the car - one of the few positive reviews!

I have to say that the UX is the best car I've ever owned. When it comes time to change I won't have to look far beyond the next generation UX. When it comes time to go electric I'm pleased I won't have to look beyond the UX. (Although I will do a tour of the dealership in case I fancy going for a saloon)

Never been a fanboy of any make of vehicle before but it's only taken me a few weeks to become a Lexus Fanboy! The experience of the dealership and then of driving the vehicle has me grinning every time I even look at the car.😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 4:58 PM, malcolmw said:

I have had a UX on loan to me while the fuel filler flap on my LC was replaced. My partner has an NX for her daily driver and so I was able to compare the two.

The UX was a 2WD with the "fake" leather seats. These are comfortable and I could get a good driving position easily but I would have liked lumbar support adjustment. The automatic seat heaters and auto steering wheel heating was a good feature in this colder weather.

Over the 3 weeks I had the UX I averaged an indicated 46mpg. This compares to about 38mpg for the NX on the same usage.

My overall view is that the UX succeeds in living up to its name as an Urban Crossover. It is good for local journeys. It is easy to park in town. However it is not as quiet and smooth as the NX on longer motorway journeys.

My main criticism is the lack of boot space and the restricted legroom in the back seats. I am not that tall but the rear room behind me was quite limited. There is no way that the UX could accommodate 4 occupants and their luggage for a weekend away and I am pleased that we went for the NX.

I agree with yourself regarding the rear seats, boot space and on road refinement!
However, I do love the UX rear bar tail light!
I recently got a 2020 NX as a loaner from Lexus and I couldn't believe how comfortable it was!!

I actually made a wee video on it if you would like to see the NX?

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2020 at 3:50 PM, Chris Krix said:

I agree wholeheartedly with Lexus, the UX fits our needs perfectly. Mostly just the two of us, sometimes young grandchildren. Overcome lack of boot space by removing both plastic box/liner and replacing them with a Lidl boot liner!! 

Hi Chris, I am looking at a UX, main issue is the boot size. (Other contenders being Macan and new GLA.)

Please are you, and/or others able to post pictures, with measurements, of their 'solutions' to this? It would be really helpful.

Particularly in view of having to make an appointment to look at any car or visit dealership!

Good Evening everyone. I currently havd an MY17 CT. Thinking of changing to a UX. My question is. Would the change be worthwhile. The NX is toooo big for me. I am a retired 70 old year and there is only me and SWMBO. Your thoughts would th appreciated. Live long and prosper.

2 hours ago, Charlie Alder said:

Good Evening everyone. I currently havd an MY17 CT. Thinking of changing to a UX. My question is. Would the change be worthwhile. The NX is toooo big for me. I am a retired 70 old year and there is only me and SWMBO. Your thoughts would th appreciated. Live long and prosper.

I guess it depends on what you want from a car. The UX is more modern, refined, quieter and more comfortable than a CT, and debatably a safer driving position (higher up). CT is a little more economical but really not much in it at all.