Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Roof and boot not opening

tim hunter

This appears to be a fairly common problem, but my searches so far have not revealed anything concrete to troubleshoot and resolve.

So, The car was parked up, indoors, in September and Battery disconnected.

Just now, reconnected fresh Battery and she sprang  to life immediately, of course, and everything is fine except the boot and roof will not operate from the switches.

1) The valet switch is in correct position (and has never been touched in my ownership)

2) pressing boot switch does nothing, no audible clicks. It opens fine on the key fob.

3) Pressing roof switch gives the blinking red light and nothing else.

4) The cover inside the boot is in place and looks like it is closing the micro switches

5) All the 20 amp fuses under the bonnet and in the boot are okay.

Any suggestions as to a next step please?

I have obtained the list of all possible fault codes related to the roof mechanism - there are 55 of them - and so today I connected a professional code reader, assuming it would diagnose the problem.
It correctly communicated with the car and interrogated four screen fulls of status conditions - all appear correct.
Did not expect that!

I am now wondering if the fault could be in the valet switch? For a normally operating car, if the switch is used, does that produce exactly the same symptoms I have - can someone please confirm or otherwise?
I have attached screen shots of what the code reader told me, in case anyone can spot anything there.

s1.jpg

s4.jpg

s3.jpg

s2.jpg

I'm not sure but I suspect it's the main boot lock switch/solenoid assembly and that might correspond with the boot not opening on the dash switch. Check connections around the boot lock and on the back of the switch itself.

If it operates from the key fob, that does suggest the boot lock/unlock function itself is okay but if the dash switch part of the circuit is not working perhaps that reports a fault to the roof ECU.