Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LC500 going into Dealer - upto 4 issues

Pritchard

hey. 

i am booked into the lexus dealer to fix a broken speaker.

However.... since booking up 2 weeks ago i now seems ot be getting a list of issues: 
- blown(?) speaker. 
- Safety Recall for fuel pump

and two new issues - 
i had a dashcam (nextbase) supplied and fitted by my locla lexus dealer, about 2 months ago. it happily beeps when the car turns on to let you know its recording. Well, i drove at night this week, so see that the dashcam is violently flashing all of its lights. After connecting to it via the app, it shows that it isnt recording AND has seemingly wiped all of my saved footage. This is of course a Nextbase and not Lexus product, but jesus can you image if i had an accident and found there was no footage. the device still gives its happy little beep when i turn the car on and off. 
So, as supplied and fitted by lexus - they can take a look and replace. 

Finally.
I now have a knock on full steering lock. noticed it the other day in a carpark. Its coming from the front, and sounds like a knocking driveshaft as a loose description. I can feel the clunk through the steering wheel, and also audibly hear it. it sounds like once per one full wheel rotation, something is catching. but i cant think what it is, or on what. i have no wheel wobbing and everything feels well balancing on the motoway. 

kind of half rant... sorry. 
i wonder what else will go wrong before i get there. ...

Sorry to read about your issues.

The fuel pump issue was raised in the States back in January but with no detail of remedial work.Today,my dealer would only confirm there is a pre recall notification for my car.

As you say,the dash cam is not a factory item although it should still work!

Dont know if the speakers differ between standard system and Mark Levinson.Which system do you have?

Steering knock certainly needs investigating and no doubt you will keep us posted.

Not the start to Lexus life that was hoped for.

• Like 1

Could the knock on full lock be the infamous "tyre skip" many owners (myself included) of low profile wide tyred cars complain about? Something to do with the tyre compliance, or lack thereof, at lower temperatures?

• Like 1

meh, i am used to new cars going in for niggly things. 
will keep updated. 

not sure what that the 'tyre skip' is. i'll take the car out this evening if schedule allows and ill try to record the sound - or even better probably ill get the missus to drive circles around me. 

Interesting, never come across this as an issue, nor in converation with other car guys. 

but, with the aple complaints i have had myself with the Pilot Run Flats, having this as an issue doesnt surprise me. 
i went for a drive last night, threw the car around a dozen corners and got the tyres up a couple of decimals up above normal pressure (warm) then went to a carpark again - this time i couldnt replicate the issue. 
I am very tempted to bin the run flats to try a normal tyre when i come to replacing these. 

thanks for sending me that thread though. was an interesting read.

• Like 2

I have experienced this "skipping" on some of my cars with very wide low profile tyres and, in the past, on our IS as per the thread quoted above.

My LC has the 20 inch wheels with Turanza tyres which are more compliant than the 21 inch options especially in colder weather. I have had no issues with this on the LC and the slight squeak I had from the front offside suspension on right lock combined with suspension deflection seems to have disappeared.

• 3 months later...

Had the tyre skipping issue whilst at full lock on my Alfa Romeo Giulia. As others have said, it's a known problem with certain cars, when the tyres warmed up it was fine.

Just a quick update on the suspension squeak noted above. It has reappeared but is no worse than before. I think it must be anti-roll bar bushes creaking as it only occurs when the suspension is unevenly loaded for example, when driving over an uneven surface with right lock applied.

Of course, that is if the LC has anti-roll bars... (given that it has active suspension).

• Like 1