Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just bought a 2009 GS450h

Mossypossy

Hi

After 25 years of Saabs thought I should dip my toe into another pond.

Bought car yesterday and drove 80 miles home, averaging 36mpg.

Perfectly happy with that.

Owner's manual says tpms reset button under steering wheel. It ain't.

Currently has some lairy big 20inch rims and skinny tyres. Are OEM wheels easy to get hold of?

Needs 100k service. Any advantage with Lexus main dealer over Toyota? Or any good indy in West Sussex.

• Like 3

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new to you Lexus.

For the TPMS reset on the drivers side, check next to the OBD port - ref; 

There is also another on the passenger side under dash panel.

Maybe use a mirror as they are really well tucked under.

There are several sets of OEM gs450h alloys on eBay at the moment but by the look of them they will need a refurb.

Meanwhile, enjoy getting familiar with your new steed.

Cheers, Lee

• Like 1

Steve welcome to LOC.
As Lee says there is another TPMS button on the passengers side. This is for a summer or winter set of tyres. Each TPMS monitor has to be registered in the TPMS ECU.

John

The only advantage I have is that I do not know what the ride is like on stock wheels. Feels ok on these to me.....if I avoid pot holes!

It gets worse. Calipers are painted yellow!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

The only advantage I have is that I do not know what the ride is like on stock wheels. Feels ok on these to me.....if I avoid pot holes!

It gets worse. Calipers are painted yellow!

A can of black spray paint will soon cure that.

The wheels do look great, but I think they will destroy the ride comfort.
Wheels to look out for that are virtually the same specification as the OEM are Mazda RX wheels. There are plenty on the market making them cheap to buy because of the rotary engine problems causing cars to be scrapped. They do require spigot rings because the centre bore is different "larger" but they are 81/2 J x 18" with the same stud PCD as the Lexus wheels.

John.

6 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Love a cheaper alternative.

Lexus wheels seem quite prone to corrosion?

As Churchill the dog would say......Oh Yes!, admittedly not helped in the UK by road salt.

Found the TPMS reset button next to obd port.

Pushed it with car in start mode. Nothing. Pushed it for 20 seconds. Nothing.

Not an MOT fail on my age car. Can tpms be programmed out so warning does not occur? I have a set of external tyre pressure senders from last car.

Are you sure that monitors were fitted in the 20" rims. If they are fitted it may be that they were not registered into the TPMS ECU. The tyres would need to be removed to find the serial numbers of each of the sensors unless you can find a tyre shop with a portable reader. The numbers would then need to be programmed.
Another possibility is that the old sensors were used, and the batteries have gone flat. These can be changed see my thread on "TPMS system fault"

John.

I may be able to check with my newly purchased Carista obd reader.

Should tell me if sensors are fitted and if one is dead.....according to Carista pr.

Off for two week holiday so Lexus tucked up in garage.

How long can a gs450h remain dormant without Battery going flat?

Steve, my GS sits for most of the week and has done so for a couple...then fires up on the button. 

The 12v aux Battery is Panasonic so most likely original and I can't see any evidence within the LSH that indicates it's ever been changed.

I wonder how much longer it will last?

• 2 weeks later...

After two weeks and not many miles I have a slow puncture in one of my crappy tyres. As rears are 280 wide and a bit over circumference they show signs of rubbing.

Decided to keep the 20 inch wheels as they do look nice and are solid forged aluminium so should not flake like stock wheels do.

However, I will maintain as close a rolling circumference to OEM as possible. Will have to be 245/30 R20.

Going to spend big on tyres. Cannot bring myself to buy Landsail at £80 a tyre fitted.

4 bits of quality rubber are going to to cost the best part of a grand. 

My local down the road garage cannot fit 20 inch wheels on their tyre machine either. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2020 at 5:19 PM, Mossypossy said:

Hi

After 25 years of Saabs thought I should dip my toe into another pond.

Bought car yesterday and drove 80 miles home, averaging 36mpg.

Perfectly happy with that.

Owner's manual says tpms reset button under steering wheel. It ain't.

Currently has some lairy big 20inch rims and skinny tyres. Are OEM wheels easy to get hold of?

Needs 100k service. Any advantage with Lexus main dealer over Toyota? Or any good indy in West Sussex.

Welcome, I don't know about toyota dealers but I can speak from dealing with Lexus Glasgow that their service levels are great and they have a different price list for services of older cars vs newer ones 🙂

In my area, the Lexus and Toyota franchises are owned by the same group and they do push you back to the Lexus dealership. Don't know if that's common around the country but I would suspect that there is lot of cross-franchise ownership.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Driving it again!

Managed to show 49mpg after a 15 mile hypermile effort.

Definitely going to put original wheels back on. Had a chat with a tyre place today.

• Like 1

Just bought a set off eBay.

Might be able to recover a bit of cost by flogging the huuuuge ones to a drug dealer.

Actually a bit embarrassing rocking up at the tyre place with aftermarket wheels.

• Haha 1

I always buy from tyreleader they have some great deals, last purchase was yokohama prada spec 2, 245/50/20 at 115 euro a piece as they were dot 16