Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exhaust - rear section replacement

So it’s finally given up, drivers side has sheared on silencer box joint and on inspection it’s got a couple of pin holes blowing further up the pipe.

Ive spoken and visited a couple of stainless providers today and decided against going the full hog on a stainless replacement (around £700ish)

I nearly decided to change the old beast last year but I do have a bit of a soft spot for her as in 75000 miles over 7 years she has cost me 1x rear brake caliper above normal servicing. The exhaust is all original and frustratingly the two rear silencer boxes are still totally sound.

Anyway I’ve decide to go for the mild steel replacement available on eBay for under £200.

Ill probably be done with this IS within the next five years so should last me that long.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112521866538

Any one else bought one of these?

Any issues I should be aware of?

Phil

I do recall someone ( on this forum) having a mare getting this to fit properly!

Can’t remember who but suggest you spend some time searching to see exactly what problem they had and done!

@scudney thanks....I have seen pre fab’d for around £450-500 ish....I’m a bit reluctant on both price and not knowing what “noise” it makes. ( just want quiet 😉) If any one has bought one I’d be interested in feedback. Appreciate the fact I have no idea either what the mild steel one sounds either! But hopefully not as prone to resonating like SS can.

@Texas thanks.... I did about a dozen or so pages on a total forum search “exhaust” could not find anything specific on fitting.... some clamp / gaskets etc. May be delve a little further before pushing the button. I saw @Shackattack asked a similar question but did not see the thread confirmed or denied. I’ll try a DM.

Hi Phil there are stainless steel exhaust manufacturers that will custom make you one and you can tell them what you want,I did the same when I changed the exhaust on my IS200 sport

• 2 weeks later...

bobmc - when I bought my GS, it had a stainless system fitted with big tail pipes and it droned like crazy and i hated it.... There is a fix..... They can sleeve the back boxes with a small length of pipe and this removes the drone, defo worked for me, I also had smaller tips added.... Can stilll hear the V8 rumble but sensible and no noise at all inside to worry about....

• Like 2

Had a custom stainless steel exhaust on my IS200 sport and specifically asked that it be as quiet as the OEM and it was almost as quiet with no drone whatsoever,will so down the same road when the exhaust on my IS250 f sport goes🙂

Did you buy one off the shelf or did you go to a stainless steel exhaust fabricator had have it custom made(with the added option of choosing your own tail pipes,back boxes and resonator)?

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, napstr007 said:

I have the same issue. How much will this be if I get done at the dealer?

Definitely not a dealer job, it is not clear what is your car model, but I assume it is not 2020 if you have issues with exhaust falling-off and by the time it does (~10-15 years old car) the dealer job will be more than it is worth (literally). Simply get pattern exhaust from eBay (~£180-300 for back section) or get it custom made, dealer back section is £1800 for IS250 just for parts + labour, so you looking at ~£2000.