Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everyone!

I guess this is my first post here after snooping for the past couple weeks.

I'm looking to get myself into a Lexus later on this year (september most likely) and I am beginning the search for information. Now, from what I understand LS400s are up to £3k for a good one and LS430s are up to £5k? Is this about right? 

I'm coming from a 2017 Audi S3 (huge world apart, I know). I've seen that some of you guys have owned both the LS400 and LS430 and I'm curious to see your opinion on both? The LS430 seems to have more toys however is less comfortable? If so, how bad is it compared to the 400? This may just be more to go wrong but I do think it's cool to have the rear seat controls etc. I would say I prefer the simple, classic looks of the LS400.

As you can probably tell, I've never actually had an older car (my oldest being my first car, a 2010 Audi A3, then a BMW 320d, BMW M140i, BMW 320d and now this Audi S3). So I'm new to the market.

Any help is greatly appreciated, from what I've seen these cars are absolutely brilliant and I'm excited to potentially get one!

Thank you

less toys and gimmicks on the Ls400 and therefor less to go wrong one perceives !

If you get a good Ls430 with all the known issues sorted, or better still, get one that needs the issues sorted coz then you will know they have been done by yourself,

then you will have a brilliant car that will cost you a fraction of your Audi S3 to maintain and will last you for very many incredibly comfortable and reliable motoring years

There's a mountain of useful info on this forum, just delve into it ........  all participants here would recommend your move to here

AND 

Welcome

Malc

• Like 3

Horses for courses, both brilliant cars. I've had both and each has an advantage over the other.  I disagree that the 430 is less comfortable, I think it's more comfortable plus much more space for rear passengers.  Try them both and you'll be able to make your own mind up.

• Like 1

My experience is 430 is a lot more luxurious, the rear passenges have more room, but it feels more 'enclosed' compared to 400, more like sitting in an aircraft where you cannot see over the seat in front.

On pricng £5K to £6K will get you a sorted 430, that should be less trouble, though the air suspension will get you forking out at some point. My 400 for two new front shocks was £700(ish) fitted, a lot cheaper than 430. 

If looking at 400s, give the rear arches a good poke with screwdriver, this is a weak rust point. The 400 has stainless exhaust, and apart from Y-piece repairs should last forever.

Also best to drive one or two of each model to get a feel, and try not to jump at the first one and aim for a Mk4 with the 400 (not sure which is best 430 to go for, my mates early facelift model seems like a fair buy at £6K, with around 68K on clock).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FarhanZ said:

I would say I prefer the simple, classic looks of the LS400.

I originally started looking at the LS430 which was the model that fired my interest. But after researching and looking, I decided that the LS400 was the one for me for the same reason, classic looks etc. If you decide on the LS400 then buying a 'good' one could be a challenge, to reiterate the very sound advice from 'Cotswold Pete' - give the rear arches a good poke with screwdriver, this is a weak rust point. I can 100% testify to this with my car and didn't know this could be an issue when I was looking for one. I did a post about my buying experience, link below, which may help you in your search for a LS400 - if that's what you decide.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

I originally started looking at the LS430 which was the model that fired my interest. But after researching and looking, I decided that the LS400 was the one for me for the same reason, classic looks etc. If you decide on the LS400 then buying a 'good' one could be a challenge, to reiterate the very sound advice from 'Cotswold Pete' - give the rear arches a good poke with screwdriver, this is a weak rust point. I can 100% testify to this with my car and didn't know this could be an issue when I was looking for one. I did a post about my buying experience, link below, which may help you in your search for a LS400 - if that's what you decide.

Thanks, I think the Ls400 will end up being the one but im still not 100% hahaha 

I'll be sure to check for rust!

2 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

LS430, for me as newer and more goodies.

Never had or driven either though.

James.

Then maybe it's time to rectify that motoring error!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Click on the "Lexus owner Reviews" seen under the Sub forum above. Should give you an indication of what you want to know.

Thanks, will do!

15 hours ago, Malc said:

less toys and gimmicks on the Ls400 and therefor less to go wrong one perceives !

If you get a good Ls430 with all the known issues sorted, or better still, get one that needs the issues sorted coz then you will know they have been done by yourself,

then you will have a brilliant car that will cost you a fraction of your Audi S3 to maintain and will last you for very many incredibly comfortable and reliable motoring years

There's a mountain of useful info on this forum, just delve into it ........  all participants here would recommend your move to here

AND 

Welcome

Malc

Yes, this is what I am thinking however I cannot seem to get away from the novelty of the toys in the LS430 haha I guess it will be a case if trying both out to see which suits me better. I hope to learn a bit through the forum before purchasing! Still have a few months and I am sure I will manage to work my way through each page by then

15 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Horses for courses, both brilliant cars. I've had both and each has an advantage over the other.  I disagree that the 430 is less comfortable, I think it's more comfortable plus much more space for rear passengers.  Try them both and you'll be able to make your own mind up.

Ah right, I have just heard that the LS400 quality is unmatched, maybe not then I guess. I agree that I will have to try both and see which one is more for me. Split down the middle at the moment in early stages... 

12 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

My experience is 430 is a lot more luxurious, the rear passenges have more room, but it feels more 'enclosed' compared to 400, more like sitting in an aircraft where you cannot see over the seat in front.

On pricng £5K to £6K will get you a sorted 430, that should be less trouble, though the air suspension will get you forking out at some point. My 400 for two new front shocks was £700(ish) fitted, a lot cheaper than 430. 

If looking at 400s, give the rear arches a good poke with screwdriver, this is a weak rust point. The 400 has stainless exhaust, and apart from Y-piece repairs should last forever.

Also best to drive one or two of each model to get a feel, and try not to jump at the first one and aim for a Mk4 with the 400 (not sure which is best 430 to go for, my mates early facelift model seems like a fair buy at £6K, with around 68K on clock).

Thanks for the reply Pete. 

If I were to be getting an Ls430, it would definitely be a facelift model so I'll budget for around there. Now to have a look around what to expect in terms of equipment with each model

7 hours ago, FarhanZ said:

Ah right, I have just heard that the LS400 quality is unmatched, maybe not then I guess. I agree that I will have to try both and see which one is more for me. Split down the middle at the moment in early stages... 

Also bear in mind that the 400/430 engine is fundamentally the same superb V8. The facelift 430 has a fine 6 speed transmission which makes it slightly better fuel wise.  The 400 has a stainless steel exhaust whereas the 430 doesn't, unless you get a Celsior like mine which may well have one.   I really think if I was looking again I'd seriously consider (although not facelift) the white Celsior on eBay, especially as it doesn't have air suspension and is only on 37k!

• Like 1

Just had an interesting comment from a mate who owned two 400s now has 430 facelift.

He said the 430 is smoother, nicer etc, etc, but always feels like something is about to falter.  Even he could not quite explian what that really meant, but he did non-stop drive from Dounreay to Cirencester and the car was  faultless, relaxing, but always a tinsey-wincey bit on edge.

Having only been a rear seat passenger in a 430 (which is IMHO, much better then being a passenger in a 400), and so not having driven a 430 I do not quite get what my mate is saying.

Anyway more grist-to-the-mill of 400 v. 430

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Just had an interesting comment from a mate who owned two 400s now has 430 facelift.

He said the 430 is smoother, nicer etc, etc, but always feels like something is about to falter.  Even he could not quite explian what that really meant, but he did non-stop drive from Dounreay to Cirencester and the car was  faultless, relaxing, but always a tinsey-wincey bit on edge.

Having only been a rear seat passenger in a 430 (which is IMHO, much better then being a passenger in a 400), and so not having driven a 430 I do not quite get what my mate is saying.

Anyway more grist-to-the-mill of 400 v. 430

I don't get that either. I've driven mine to Austria, doing it again late April (virus permitting) and Lands End on Monday for the second time this year and I certainly won't feel on edge. Now if I was doing that in an ageing Mercedes I'd probably take along the valium!

• Like 1

I think it really boils down to a personal thing.

I've had the mark 3 and 4 of the LS400 and for me the favourite is the Mark 4 LS400 out of the 2

When I bought my 430, initially I had reservations, I think my expectations were that the 430 would be quieter and smoother than the 400 - but it is not - I think noise wise the 430 is the same but due to the wider larger tyres it looses that wallowing effect which when you get used to - you don't notice it - I certainly think if you went straight for the 430 without owning the 400 you would find it very quite and smooth. The gear change is a lot smoother than the 400.

There are other things that for me if I was to go and buy a 400 would be a step back such as

1) Modern ageless looks and cabin

2) Better higher seating position (ls400 are less corseting and smooth that you slide around)

3) Brighter headlights

4) Keyless entry and soft close doors

If possible I would try to drive both marques and then make your mind up.

• Like 1

Hmm, so I guess it is mostly just personal preference at the end of the say as both are generally great cars? I think i will definitely have to drive both then.

4 hours ago, Malc said:

it's the lack of air suspension that sways me all the time towards the Ls400  ( in the Uk coz some did have air elsewhere  )

Is this because the air suspension is known to fail and is expensive to replace?

3 hours ago, Greer said:

I've got an LS400 (99) GREAT CAR!.........I would not buy an LS 430 'cause of what seem to be 'prolific' suspension probs, some of them are also supposed to have some rad probs but I dont have any info on that

Just to clarify, the suspension problems are not "prolific" and many owners cover mega miles without issue. My LS400's we're great cars, but having moved to LS430's there's no going back for me, and I would suggest most, not all, but most who have done it would say likewise. The 430 is a fantastic machine.

2 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Just to clarify, the suspension problems are not "prolific" and many owners cover mega miles without issue. My LS400's we're great cars, but having moved to LS430's there's no going back for me, and I would suggest most, not all, but most who have done it would say likewise. The 430 is a fantastic machine.

Phil,I think that the major problem is not the car---it is the owner.

The owner who wants a Lexus because "it`s so reliable" and who forgets that one cannot run an initially expensive and increasingly ageing,motor car on a shoe string.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Phil,I think that the major problem is not the car---it is the owner.

The owner who wants a Lexus because "it`s so reliable" and who forgets that one cannot run an initially expensive and increasingly ageing,motor car on a shoe string.

A very good point, and one that we've discussed before. To buy what was an expensive limo and not expect to dig deep sometimes is just dreaming. I concede that a "good" LS400 comes as close as it gets but it's not a foregone conclusion.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarhanZ said:

Is this because the air suspension is known to fail and is expensive to replace?

yes .............. to put it simply

certain Ls400 s have air but very few in the UK

The Ls 430 always has air ( I presume, but then again I think I read somewhere that a very few don't !  ) and whilst  air struts have much longevity a replacement corner from Lexus / Toyota is about £1000 a corner plus fitting :unsure:  and quite enough to upset one's budgeting maybe

whichever you choose, and for heaven's sake you MUST choose one, or maybe two :wink3:  you should remember that these are now very old cars in car technology terms and resemble the ancient  " mores " of old with sublime comfort and grace when motoring .......... and the very best of old technology with resilient comfort, reliability and quality of presence

Malc

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links