Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes and Suspension

Hi,all my 2000  is 200 has just developed its first fault,I was just driving along in town when the traction control off  light started flashing I have read all I can find on the forum but none have exactly the same symptoms.One I read said it was the brake light switch so I dashed outside to check but no such so luck.Anyone that can help would be of great assistance.

That sounds expensive,do you think it is still safe to drive.The brakes had a good pasting on my test run and worked perfectly.Brake fluid still at the top.Could it be electrical prob.

on a 20 year old car it's very likely just the brake pad sensor

mine played-up the other day and I just knew everything was fine with the brakes themselves, new pads and discs at the front 13k miles ago, new rear pads 8k miles ago and the fluid in the reservoir was fine too  ..  and it had a fresh MOT in December too

anyway, down to my indy who checked the fronts ...  all ok

the rears, the pads worn down and the sensor definitely misreading ( that happened about 15 years ago to me too on an earlier Ls400 )

so chopped off the sensor ( that's ok on older cars it seems ) redid the connection thingy so it doesn't reappear on the dash as a red fault ..  and replaced the rear pads too

BUT

also seen the rear calipers sticking on the offside and seized ( down to salt and crap on our amazing roads )  on the nearside so down to overhauling those to make them fine and dandy for another good few 000 miles as these were last overhauled some 35k miles before  ..  just labour content, dismantling and cleaning up etc

so best get them checked out by your friendly indy mechanic I guess

Malc

Must admit I have only had 1 set of pads in95000 miles so I dont use the brakes very often [82 year old codger]

Had the car from new.

Edited by percy
addition.

Percy hi, no, my ABS didn't get affected at all thankfully

and tbh                          you're actually only 82 years young ............ :wink3:

Malc

not sure I'm up to all that puffing and lifting either  ........  let the strain go where it can be coped with .............  good to have neighbours sometimes

Malc

I dont believe it!!!took the lexus out today traction control flashing away got up to the M25 collecting a model yacht looked down and no flashing warning light.Ive got a self curing Lexus.No sign of a fault all the way back phew who knew that would happen.

☺️😎

1 hour ago, percy said:

who knew that would happen.

well done Lexus .....  I sometimes find that too ......  maybe lots of use of the car helps keep things " going "

mine's a daily driver and now on 229k miles  ..............  I travel @ 12 / 15k miles a year somewhere ..........  often via petrol stations

:thumbsup:

Malc

How often do you have your cambelt changed?I had mine done at 45000 miles at lexus tunbridge wells and they said it wasnt hardly worn now done 95000 miles?