Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LC500 - MPG 'Run'

Pritchard

Hey.
I have come in the firing line on the a couple of facebook groups (for the LC) due to me apparently talking out of my bottom with the MPG figures i say my LC can do (its the V8, not the hybrid).

Well, i have a drive booked tomorrow that spans 600 miles +. Its all motoway, London to Aberdeen pretty much. My Trip is reset and ready to go....
I'll have it on Cruise at 65mph (so its in 10th gear). i'll take a short vid at my first services, which will be about 200miles probably, to give a good average over about 3 hours.

If i get stuck in traffic, then it will be included. there are some 50mph average cameras too that i need to go through.
Anyone want to guess on the result tomorrow? I would bet a Queen's Head that 45mpg is not going to be a problem after 200miles.

Just to prove i reset the stuff! .....

have you ever driven that same road journey before and experienced the traffic and road conditions ?

Maybe you're in the middle of the trip !

Malc

So, while my videos are TubeYou uploading....

I drove for about 160miles (see video), hit a high of 41Mpg. finshed in those services at 40.5(?) see video.
The missus then took over for a few hours while i slept, and she got it down to 37mpg. so she must have been averaging 33-34 perhaps to bring it down overall.
By the end of the run, i had clawed it back to about 38.5mpg.

couple of things -
Tyres were at 2.5Bar for almost the entire trip.
When i was driving, i was on cruise at 65mph, unless traffic made me slow down.
My low fuel Warning light came on when i hit 560miles, as you can see from the video i filled up at 595 (a long time with a warning light).
BUT, when i filled up, i only got 73 litres in, so i still had another ~10 litres! mad, i had assumed i was on fumes.
So my tank range would have cleared 600miles if i kept going : )
Also - ill try to upload the pics (wife has them as i was driving) but i had a few good moments of road when my bar-chart was all 'maxxed out' at 40mpg.

Final note - i am quite upset with the result, as ive done a 43mpg run before, but that was in the car by myself, unloaded with holiday gear.

Thanks for uploading.Got it about right and would expect a little more in high summer.A good result for a 5 litre and excellent range for touring.

Interesting little exercise.

How did the exhaust sound with the wiring disconnected? Assume no warning lights.I intend to unplug mine soon to try this out.

A J.

3 hours ago, AJ500 said:

Thanks for uploading.Got it about right and would expect a little more in high summer.A good result for a 5 litre and excellent range for touring.

Interesting little exercise.

How did the exhaust sound with the wiring disconnected? Assume no warning lights.I intend to unplug mine soon to try this out.

A J.

Do it! just do it.
ive always had loud cars. this was always far too quiet for me.

on the motoway, the car is at such a low rpm (1250-1300rpm) that there is 0 exhaust noise. no drone nothing. you begin to hear it at the 2k mark up a hill. but when driving through built up areas or carparks you can really hear the sound reverbate back through your window. its lovely.

however.....

it has also made me realise that i want a new exhaust. so ill be getting one once i am out of quarantine.

I think the problem for us in Europe is the wretched particulate filter in the exhaust system,which has to be fitted to all cars registered after 1/9/18.This has a big influence on our exhaust note and cannot be removed without throwing warning lights and not complying with law etc.

What aftermarket system have you looked at.The States have various options.Will you go for a rear box only so as to leave the cats and filter in place?

A J.