Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Transmission dipstick?

abtx

I'm driving 2005/6 GS430, and I saved the transmission over a half year ago when my coolant got in (well, the garage  did save it). The transmission is as smooth as ever, but I experience a shudder every now and then. I attributed it to torque converter trying to lock in after I googled the issue. I got myself some Instant Shudder Fixx which is praised in reviews, and wanted to give it a go, but I cannot find the dipstick. I see that some Toyota models don't have a dipstick. I couldn't find it under the bonnet, I wonder if I missed it or not. If there isn't one, how can I add the solution to the gearbox? Cheers!

Not sure about the 430, but the 450 hybrid doesn't have a dip stick and the only way to get the fluid in would be to add via the transmission as you would if changing fluid etc - fill plug or cooler hose, depending on the procedure for your car.

Sorry not of much use, but sure someone who knows the 430s will be along before too long 😊

17 hours ago, Upex said:

Not sure about the 430, but the 450 hybrid doesn't have a dip stick and the only way to get the fluid in would be to add via the transmission as you would if changing fluid etc - fill plug or cooler hose, depending on the procedure for your car.

Sorry not of much use, but sure someone who knows the 430s will be along before too long 😊

Yeah, I think you're right. I've watched YT video on GS300 there's a fill plug. Probs same for the 430. I'll see if this is something I can do myself, especially these days. Cheers and stay safe. 

17 hours ago, Upex said:

How is the 450h going by the way? I've considered getting the hybrid, but somehow ended up with the 430. I love the sound but I'm glad I've not have to commute in the city 💸 😄

2 hours ago, abtx said:

How is the 450h going by the way?

I met someone in a local carpark the other day, was admiring her pristine 400 /450 hybrid ( I can't quite remember now ........... on a private plate so I couldn't tell the year ) and thought I'd enquire as to if ever I might change mine 

she was saying they bought it at 3 years old, had it now 5 years and wished she hadn't

the servicing costs and repair costs were through the roof, a money pit  .....  at Lexus, and the indy they use for their other car just won't touch it coz it's a hybrid

Malc

On 3/22/2020 at 3:41 PM, Malc said:

I met someone in a local carpark the other day, was admiring her pristine 400 /450 hybrid ( I can't quite remember now ........... on a private plate so I couldn't tell the year ) and thought I'd enquire as to if ever I might change mine 

she was saying they bought it at 3 years old, had it now 5 years and wished she hadn't

the servicing costs and repair costs were through the roof, a money pit  .....  at Lexus, and the indy they use for their other car just won't touch it coz it's a hybrid

Malc

Well, I'm glad I didn't go that route then and I'm more than happy to pay extra for gas now 😄 The only thing with the 430s is that blood radiator that's got a compartment for tranny oil cooling and rusts through. I wish I knew that about the 430s. Nothing else breaks 😅, it's got the V8 gurgle, viva la vida loca...

22 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Have a read through this link, although for the LS430 I believe the transmission is the same.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/735311-04-06-ls430-atf-fill-plug-location.html

Awesome, thanks for the link mate. PS: doesn't look like DIY job. Might wanna try going to Toyota for one more tranny oil change, maybe I'll just casually ask them to put in the Shuderrr Fix in it? 🙃😂

there's a huge amount of info on the Ls430 section of the Forum that goes into some great detail about the radiator and it's resultant gearbox issues IF IT'S NOT DEALT WITH say at 10 years old / 100k miles

Malc

21 hours ago, Malc said:

there's a huge amount of info on the Ls430 section of the Forum that goes into some great detail about the radiator and it's resultant gearbox issues IF IT'S NOT DEALT WITH say at 10 years old / 100k miles

Malc

I wish I checked it. Mine had the issue at just over 100k miles for what will be now 15yo car. Cost me £800 to save the gearbox with an indie, but I get the shudder from torque converter every now and then. New box with cost me around 2.5 grand with labour. I might go for it if it gets worse.

14 hours ago, abtx said:

New box with cost me around 2.5 grand with labour.

but take care coz that will not be a brand new box for sure at that silly low price

anything else you must have the confidence that what you have newly installed is still " unblemished "

Malc

On 3/22/2020 at 1:00 PM, abtx said:

How is the 450h going by the way? I've considered getting the hybrid, but somehow ended up with the 430. I love the sound but I'm glad I've not have to commute in the city 💸 😄

I love the 450h, for an old car, it's perfect in all bar boot space and could be more economical, but who cares with so much grunt and such a smooth ride 😊

Re costs, I think lexus would be considered expensive vs other main brands, they are quality and dont have the volume of ford, vx, frenchies etc. But one must expect that surely... you would expect to change brakes on an Aston for the price of a KA etc.

I've spent about the same on my old gal changing brake disk and pads x 2, 2 front calipers, rear shocks, control arm bearings, 2 x exhaust welds and full servicing plus few other bits and bob's, than a replacement smeg unit cost for my c4 picasso. Dare say that wouldn't be the case had I needed a mech to do it all, especially if it were lexus main dealer.

I've not driven much, but do think the pump bearing replacement has helped fuel economy slightly, will see, but thus far I'm a happy chap 😊

4 hours ago, Malc said:

but take care coz that will not be a brand new box for sure at that silly low price

anything else you must have the confidence that what you have newly installed is still " unblemished "

Malc

Yeah, and there's not much I can do to make sure the swap I'll get isn't coming from a car that had the same problem..

4 hours ago, Upex said:

I love the 450h, for an old car, it's perfect in all bar boot space and could be more economical, but who cares with so much grunt and such a smooth ride 😊

Re costs, I think lexus would be considered expensive vs other main brands, they are quality and dont have the volume of ford, vx, frenchies etc. But one must expect that surely... you would expect to change brakes on an Aston for the price of a KA etc.

I've spent about the same on my old gal changing brake disk and pads x 2, 2 front calipers, rear shocks, control arm bearings, 2 x exhaust welds and full servicing plus few other bits and bob's, than a replacement smeg unit cost for my c4 picasso. Dare say that wouldn't be the case had I needed a mech to do it all, especially if it were lexus main dealer.

I've not driven much, but do think the pump bearing replacement has helped fuel economy slightly, will see, but thus far I'm a happy chap 😊

Definitely. I've got to change air filter on mine. Fuel economy was never strong point here but again it's not a reason anyone buys a v8. I'm hoping I'll have the space to keep this car as a weekend driver and have it for years to come. Hopefully won't have to swap the tranny at all. I'll probs just go to Toyota get them to change the grearbox fluid once more after this whole coronavirus bs is over and then try adding the shudder fix if needed. It happens so rarely but still I'd rather have it gone. Right now I just want to see if the gearbox plates are going to be ok. It's been 6 mnths after the incident and the gearbox is as smooth as ever other than the shudder. With all the risk and cost of swapping a gearbox i'd rather not, but will see how things go. It'd be a shame to retire this big old beast, but I think there's hope for it. It's a solid build and this engine at 110k odd miles can last another 4 times as much. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links