Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Didn't think you could lock the keys inside the car.

I didn't do anything differently than normal.
I have my keys in my rucksack side pocket, I grab the drivers door handle to unlock
Open the rear door, place my rucksack on the rear seat, close rear door, open drivers and get in.

Today, I unlocked using the drivers door handle as usual, opened the rear door, put my rucksack on the rear seat and as soon as I closed the rear door, CLUNK, doors locked.

The keys were not pressing on anything, I could clearly see them in my rucksack side pocket but the doors were locked.
Pressing the button on the door handle just gave a long beeping tone, then nothing.

I ended up getting a friend to drive me to my other halves Aunties to pick up a spare door key, drive me home to collect my spare, then drive me into work with my spare.

I've tried locking the door using the fob from inside before and it doesn't (didn't) work, just the long beep.

What happpened? Battery low on the key but even so, why did it lock in the first place and why did it lock with the keys inside?
Weird and frutrating. Glad I had someone to call on.

• Sad 1

Hard to say what happened.  We've often rented Sprinter vans and they can be easy to lock with keys inside.  Lucky you were able to access a spare, could have really cost you!

6 hours ago, chr15gb said:

I didn't do anything differently than normal.
I have my keys in my rucksack side pocket, I grab the drivers door handle to unlock
Open the rear door, place my rucksack on the rear seat, close rear door, open drivers and get in.

Today, I unlocked using the drivers door handle as usual, opened the rear door, put my rucksack on the rear seat and as soon as I closed the rear door, CLUNK, doors locked.

The keys were not pressing on anything, I could clearly see them in my rucksack side pocket but the doors were locked.
Pressing the button on the door handle just gave a long beeping tone, then nothing.

I ended up getting a friend to drive me to my other halves Aunties to pick up a spare door key, drive me home to collect my spare, then drive me into work with my spare.

I've tried locking the door using the fob from inside before and it doesn't (didn't) work, just the long beep.

What happpened? battery low on the key but even so, why did it lock in the first place and why did it lock with the keys inside?
Weird and frutrating. Glad I had someone to call on.

My wife did the same thing last week with her Fiat 500 while doing the school run 😢

I remember when I was locked out of my Mazda zedos 6,and had to get a friend take me back home to pick up the spare, I unlocked the car to open the boot to put a suit case in the boot but did not actually open any of the doors,which then automatically lock again if not opened,I unfortunately dropped the key in the boot along with the suit case and slammed the boot shut,thereby locking myself out of the car 🙁

That is basically what happened to my wife 

4 hours ago, scudney said:

I remember when I was locked out of my Mazda zedos 6,and had to get a friend take me back home to pick up the spare, I unlocked the car to open the boot to put a suit case in the boot but did not actually open any of the doors,which then automatically lock again if not opened,I unfortunately dropped the key in the boot along with the suit case and slammed the boot shut,thereby locking myself out of the car 🙁

My 250 once had a right hissy fit when I put my jacket with my keys in a pocket in the boot after I'd locked it (scenario: had jacket on in car, got out, locked car, put keys in pocket as normal. Decided it was too warm outside for jacket, took jacket off and put it in boot). It was a while ago but I'm sure it beeped at me or did something in an attempt to stop me walking away. I was 160 miles from home at the time so I was rather glad the car intervened.

3 hours ago, Mincey said:

I'm sure it beeped at me or did something in an attempt to stop me walking away. I was 160 miles from home at the time so I was rather glad the car intervened.

That's exactly what mine used to do.  

When I first got it I had my keys in my jacket pocket on the back seat.  

I filled up with fuel and tried locking with the door button before going to pay.  

The car beeped but wouldn't lock.

I've repeated it now and i can indeed lock it using the key fob whilst sitting inside the car. Something must be broken somewhere,  however the car detects which side of the door the key is

4 minutes ago, chr15gb said:

I filled up with fuel and tried locking with the door button before going to pay.  

On an unrelated note, have you ever left the engine running while filling up? I did it twice - the engine is too quiet...

No haven't had that happen yet,however have taken my car for its mot and left the engine running and the tester gets in and tries to start the car 😁🤪

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2020 at 10:27 AM, Moleman said:

My CT 200 does not allow you to lock the keys in the car, if you try it beeps and the screen tells you the keys are still in the car.

my wife put her bag in the boot with keys in. i tried to lock car with door handle button and it would not lock, just a beep.

BUT i then used the remote fob and it locked.

My cautionary tale.

Many years ago I used to have a Mercedes SL500 with the remote locking system. I was at a meeting in South Yorkshire (I live in Wiltshire) and thought I would take my raincoat off and put it in the car. The car was locked. I opened the boot, put the coat inside and slammed the boot shut. My car keys were in the coat pocket.

After a lot of phone calls, Mercedes established that it was impossible to open the car or boot without damage so they loaned me a car to drive home, retrieve the spare key and drive back the next day.

I have been much more careful about key systems since.

I'm going to do it at some point. I just know it. I often open just the boot, put something in or take something out and for a split second have that :ohmy: feeling before I realise my keys are in my hand or pocket. I'll obviously be hundreds of miles from the spare too.

just out of interest.. when you 'unlock' the drivers door, do you actually open it, or just touch the handle?

I know the car locks itself if unlocked and not opened ... I wonder if it that logic is specific about a front door, and you just exceeded that timer for self-lock again?

On 5/6/2020 at 7:56 AM, jumbojake said:

just out of interest.. when you 'unlock' the drivers door, do you actually open it, or just touch the handle?

I know the car locks itself if unlocked and not opened ... I wonder if it that logic is specific about a front door, and you just exceeded that timer for self-lock again?

I just put my hand behind the front handle to unlock, then opened the back door, threw my bag on the backseat, closed the back door and within a second, the car locked.
There is no way the time-out had long enough, I can only assume my keys squashed and pressed the button as it hit the rear seat but even that seems unlikely, I could see the keys in the side netting of my bag.

What also confusesd me, my keys were right there behind the drivers seat well within the proximity of the drivers door. It was plenty close enough to allow me to open the door by sliding my hand behind the handle or pushing the button but it didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

In theory if the Battery is low, it may not be transmitting to the receiver by the steering wheel (assumed location). Only got my car yesterday so enjoying reading and gaining knowledge.

I have one fob with a low Battery. So i tried various scenarios. 

1. Touched front handle with fob in pocket, car unlocks, i placed the fob in the back and closed the door, waited 30 seconds and the front door was still fine.

2. Locked everything back up, then went to my boot with fob in pocket the boot opened via the button, i placed the fob in the boot and closed it, the car alarms and wont lock the boot.

Cannot recreate your situation, still feel it could be the Battery is very low.