Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today i'm listening to...

Steve

Another of my all time favourite bands from my idealistic University days. The The, unknown by far too many people. 

I still mainly listen to the exact same music I grew up loving - Billy Bragg, Lloyd Cole, Elvis Costello, Suede, The Smiths, Morrissey, Kirsty MacColl, American Music Club, Galaxie500... Great times. Great memories.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Another of my all time favourite bands from my idealistic University days. The The, unknown by far too many people. 

Top call there. The The are awesome. I had the VHS of their concert at The Albert Hall when Johnny Marr (he plays guitar) was with them. Wore it out in the end. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mincey said:

And this, "bands" of today, is how it's done:

Couldn't agree more, we used to trek up to the Hope and Anchor to watch this lot and many more. These guys could play live.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Couldn't agree more, we used to trek up to the Hope and Anchor to watch this lot and many more. These guys could play live.

I wasn't lucky enough to see the original line up of Dr Feelgood, but I saw the (then!) current line up supporting The Stranglers about a year ago and they were awesome.

26 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I wasn't lucky enough to see the original line up of Dr Feelgood, but I saw the (then!) current line up supporting The Stranglers about a year ago and they were awesome.

I was lucky enough to see them several times with Lee Brilleux (I expect I've misspelt his name)as the front man, first time I saw them on the opening number I thought this is a tight band, then suddenly the guitarist shot across the stage real wow factor that. Lee used to have his harmonica's in the pockets of his rather grubby cream suit.

One other band at the time I really rated live was Eddy and the Hot Rods the live version of 'begging of the end' was tremendous, Nine Below Zero were also around at the time and again as with all the above they could play.

1 hour ago, B1RMA said:

I was lucky enough to see them several times with Lee Brilleux (I expect I've misspelt his name)as the front man, first time I saw them on the opening number I thought this is a tight band, then suddenly the guitarist shot across the stage real wow factor that. Lee used to have his harmonica's in the pockets of his rather grubby cream suit.

One other band at the time I really rated live was Eddy and the Hot Rods the live version of 'begging of the end' was tremendous, Nine Below Zero were also around at the time and again as with all the above they could play.

Beginning of the End is awesome. I make custom content for Rocksmith (Guitar Hero for real guitars) and have wanted to have a crack at that for a long time. Trouble is, it's Paul Gray on bass and he's a monster player.

11 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Beginning of the End is awesome. I make custom content for Rocksmith (Guitar Hero for real guitars) and have wanted to have a crack at that for a long time. Trouble is, it's Paul Gray on bass and he's a monster player.

I have found a Youtube video of them doing 'Beginning of the End' it just about captures the energy of the whole band, the whole pub rock era was one where in all honesty I couldn't fault the live playing of any of them and small hot venues suited the whole atmosphere. Ducks Deluxe where part of the Motors came from were one of the first and they were excellent too.

I could blame bloody spellcheckers for my error Begging I ask you. 

On my trip down a very happy memory lane, I give you Carter USM and The Levellers. I really regret not seeing Carter live when at their peak...and when I was at my peak! 

• Like 1