Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today i'm listening to...

Steve

23 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

I seem to have disappeared down a bit of a Flock of Seagulls rabbit hole.

Is it just me or does the lead singer remind you of Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now. Another great tune by the way. photograph of you is one I also remember, again a good catchy tune.

Although always overshadowed by his brother Jimmie Vaughan is one hell of a guitarist. I've seen him live several times with the Fabulous Thunderbirds and later with Kim Wilson. Saw him on a double bill with Ronnie Earl someone if you've not heard his stuff is well worth checking out .

And now for something completely different...

Scanning through the selections above, i've found some of them are ones I already have in my car or already know well: The Eagles, Bruce Hornsby, John Mayall, Eric Clapton.

Of the styles of music, there's rock, pop, easy listening, folk, 12-bar blues; but i haven't yet spotted any jazz.

So here's something a bit different.

For the musicians among you, can anyone tell me what Manu Katché is doing on the drums? He seems to manage to be playing triplets (is this right?) on the hi-hat for the entire piece, while playing the off-beat of a 4/4 rhythm on a drum rim from around 30 seconds in. I don't know how he can sustain this mismatch of rhythms for so long! 

58 minutes ago, noby76 said:

Calms me down soaking up some Jazz 😄

Now that's something I can't understand, and of course we're all very different. I've tried listening to jazz and it has the opposite effect, it really winds me up!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Now that's something I can't understand, and of course we're all very different. I've tried listening to jazz and it has the opposite effect, it really winds me up!  

You need to try some real jazz and they don't come much better than this countries foremost finger style Jazz player. Enjoy.

3 hours ago, Bluesman said:

You need to try some real jazz and they don't come much better than this countries foremost finger style Jazz player. Enjoy.

He's clearly an amazing player and I can listen to it but it's not the kind of jazz I mean. The kind that grates with me is the type that sounds like 8 players that have all brought the wrong music but decide to play anyway!  Of course when it comes to a more blues/jazz that's a different thing, that I really enjoy, and this guy sounds quite bluesy. 

Now this I absolutely love.

• Like 5

Personally not quite sure what real Jazz is, I like all styles from Mammal Hands, GoGo Penguin, Cassandra Wilson, Nina Simone, Astrud Gilbreto, Stan Getz, Miles Davis, etc.

I only got into Jazz as a result of a girl friend dragging me off to the Beaulieu Jazz Festival in 1976, where among others I saw Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen (and I might be wrong - but Oscar Peterson, or someone in similar style), and given I was a metal head I had my horizons widened.

As to Jazz when in the LS, a definite NO NO, Jazz is for a comfie sofa and a nice whisky and soda with a log fire to warm your cockles

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The-Acre said:

The kind that grates with me is the type that sounds like 8 players that have all brought the wrong music but decide to play anyway!

That's a great description - I must remember it!

I know exactly what you mean. In the clip I posted above, I don't particularly like the intro with the piano bass strings damped with a hand inside the piano. I think what makes the clip above challenging to listen to is not the guitar, piano and bass, all of which are fairly straightforwardly melodic; instead, it's the complexity of the drums. I have the imression that we understand music because we instinctively understand (a) the harmonic relationships of the notes, (b) we understand the structure of a tune (eg 12 bar blues) and (c) we understand rhythm (eg 4/4, waltz, even something a little more complex like bossa nova or reggae). The problem with this piece is that - even though the harmonics and the structure are pretty orthodox (apart from the intro) - it's hard to judge what the rhythm is. Eventually, it clearly resolves into a straightforward 4/4 - it might as well be a march. But it's the confusion in your brain leading up to this that makes it either annoying or intriguing, depending on how you react. I probably like it for the same reason I like the elegance of the Lexus hybrid transmission - the complexity that is derived from such a simple design and the challenge of trying to understand how it works.

So come on those of you who are musicians, Listen to it again, don't bother with the tune or the structure which couldn't be simpler, but tell me what Manu Katché is doing on the hi-hat?

And Etta James is, of course, a great choice - right up there with "At Last", which I notice on just one version on youtube has 42 million views, so plenty of people agree she was great.

So for those who don't like any kind of jazz, how about electro-swing? Here's a band that was influenced by Django Reinhardt, who apparently also inspired Martin Taylor posted above by Bluesman. Watch out in the video for the prettiest French car of the 1960s.

I'm guessing we won't be going to a music concert together sometime.  I hear it as music to brush your teeth to!

When all is said and done it's blues for me, plus some 60'/70's rock.  

I must admit that over the years I had a few 'jazz guys' join my 6-7-8 piece boogie boogie band. Alarm bells should have rang as each of them seemed to like Steely Dan (nothing wrong with them after all reeling in the years is quite good) anyway we did have a guitarist, keyboard player and a sax player join us for a while.

They introduced me to the track below which I still like, and we used to attempt to play it. I quite liked the bass part as I was able to just walk the bass up and down in the key,  probably too similar to some of my blues walking bass lines for them but that's what they got.

We were lucky as I had a small recording/practice studio set up at a friends factory so we spent quite a few evenings jamming/improvising but I still felt at times they disappeared up their own backsides, they did move on to another band after a while.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The-Acre said:

He's clearly an amazing player and I can listen to it but it's not the kind of jazz I mean. The kind that grates with me is the type that sounds like 8 players that have all brought the wrong music but decide to play anyway!  Of course when it comes to a more blues/jazz that's a different thing, that I really enjoy, and this guy sounds quite bluesy. 

Now this I absolutely love.

They also have to start in a different key and a different tempo. Sounds like a motorway accident, I'm with you on that one Phil.

My taste in music in what I play and listen to is wide, if its quality I'm there.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 11:32 AM, B1RMA said:

One other band at the time I really rated live was Eddy and the Hot Rods the live version of 'begging of the end' was tremendous, 

How's about this then? 

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

How's about this then? 

WOW I'm speechless, over my years of going to see bands Eddy and the Hotrods is right up there and it's easy to see why. As I mentioned earlier nearly all of these 'pub rock bands' of that era were very good musicians and seeing them in smaller, hot venues just added to the experience. Fantastic, again the comment at the end is golden.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links