Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today i'm listening to...

Steve

Here's one for you from Justin Johnson. I've got some of his music in the car and all I can say is that this guy is cool; he's so cool that he was cool before cool was invented :laughing:

• Like 1

Suspect that gramatically this should read "Whilst" .  The Solo by Prince blows my mind and makes me wan tto pick up my Guitar, but then I recall I can't play anymore -doh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

22 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Enjoying the sunshine and listening to some blues guitar by Walter Trout

I've seen him and his excellent band many times in small venues, he can certainly play.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:51 AM, Cotswold Pete said:

Personally not quite sure what real Jazz is, I like all styles from Mammal Hands, GoGo Penguin, Cassandra Wilson, Nina Simone, Astrud Gilbreto, Stan Getz, Miles Davis, etc.

I only got into Jazz as a result of a girl friend dragging me off to the Beaulieu Jazz Festival in 1976, where among others I saw Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen (and I might be wrong - but Oscar Peterson, or someone in similar style), and given I was a metal head I had my horizons widened.

As to Jazz when in the LS, a definite NO NO, Jazz is for a comfie sofa and a nice whisky and soda with a log fire to warm your cockles

Kenny Ball considered "Trad Jazz"  not Blues as some names mentioned.

Used to listen to him, Cleo Lane, Acker Bilk, Humph Littleton, Johny Dankworth etc, at Dunmow Jazz Club when a Teenager.  Was it "Stomping " that was the shuffle we all did? 

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Kenny Ball considered "Trad Jazz"  not Blues as some names mentioned.

Used to listen to him, Cleo Lane, Acker Bilk, Humph Littleton, Johny Dankworth etc, at Dunmow Jazz Club when a Teenager.  Was it "Stomping " that was the shuffle we all did? 

Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, Stu ?

No John, more a Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Titch sort of person - possibly, or not? 

Interest in Trad Jazz quickly disappeared when Shadows, Beatles , Stones etc  came along.  Diverse taste these days..

On 5/7/2020 at 3:11 PM, Mincey said:

Working in Central London for many years, I had a few weird brushes with famous people. Stood behind Bob Monkhouse in the queue at M&S at Marylebone Station, saw the late great Graham Taylor there once too. But one sticks in my mind - Gary Numan once came and sat next to me on a crowded Chiltern Line train from Aylesbury to Marylebone (I forget where he got on). I think we exchanged three of four words, before I decided to leave him alone as a few people in the carriage had recognised him!

Anyway, for some reason over recent days I've been on a 60s vibe. Here are two classics for your appreciation. Simpler times...

12 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Working in Central London for many years, I had a few weird brushes with famous people. Stood behind Bob Monkhouse in the queue at M&S at Marylebone Station, saw the late great Graham Taylor there once too. But one sticks in my mind - Gary Numan once came and sat next to me on a crowded Chiltern Line train from Aylesbury to Marylebone (I forget where he got on). I think we exchanged three of four words, before I decided to leave him alone as a few people in the carriage had recognised him!

Anyway, for some reason over recent days I've been on a 60s vibe. Here are two classics for your appreciation. Simpler times...

I studied in Central London and had the same experiences - doing the Pavement Tango with Sir Trevor McDonald, pressed up against Alice Beer (who was very small and probably still is) on a crowded Tube Train, sitting on the tube opposite PC Carver from The Bill, watching DLT being heckled by passers by on his way to the BBC, passing by both Armstrongs (ITN newsreaders) on New Cavendish Street, having to run out of the way of Mark Knopfler has he drove along Regent Street, seeing Derek Jameson and his Mrs doing a piece for camera outside the Beeb, spying Mike Read ("Mike Read, Mike Read, 275, 285 National Radio One...", not the "Riiiicky" one) driving into what is now Wogan House, watching Leticia Dean getting dropped off at her flat and then being admonished by the taxi driver as he passed for "ogling Sharon" (we weren't!) and bumping into Samantha Fox outside Tower Records on Piccadilly Circus. She was small too. Who else? Enoch Powell, The Queen Mum (in a cavalcade), I could go on, but had better not!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I studied in Central London and had the same experiences - doing the Pavement Tango with Sir Trevor McDonald, pressed up against Alice Beer (who was very small and probably still is) on a crowded Tube Train, sitting on the tube opposite PC Carver from The Bill, watching DLT being heckled by passers by on his way to the BBC, passing by both Armstrongs (ITN newsreaders) on New Cavendish Street, having to run out of the way of Mark Knopfler has he drove along Regent Street, seeing Derek Jameson and his Mrs doing a piece for camera outside the Beeb, spying Mike Read ("Mike Read, Mike Read, 275, 285 National Radio One...", not the "Riiiicky" one) driving into what is now Wogan House, watching Leticia Dean getting dropped off at her flat and then being admonished by the taxi driver as he passed for "ogling Sharon" (we weren't!) and bumping into Samantha Fox outside Tower Records on Piccadilly Circus. She was small too. Who else? Enoch Powell, The Queen Mum (in a cavalcade), I could go on, but had better not!

@Mincey I think this merits a 'tenuous claims to fame' thread all of its own! My absolute favourite was seeing Kirsty McColl in a crowded bar in Camden. As a huge fan, I had to try and speak to her - she made it pretty clear she just wanted to be left alone, which was fair enough really.

We often used to unwind after work in the Cellar Bar at The Landmark hotel, and there were often recognisable people down there, including Noel Gallagher relatively often. One of my colleagues - I wasn't there - once saw and spoke to Slash from Guns 'n' Roses there, and said he was simply delightful, a really nice guy with time for everybody. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

No John, more a Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Titch sort of person - possibly, or not? 

Interest in Trad Jazz quickly disappeared when Shadows, Beatles , Stones etc  came along.  Diverse taste these days..

I still enjoy listening to Pasadena WITH WHISPERING PAUL McDOWELL !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

I still enjoy listening to Pasadena WITH WHISPERING PAUL McDOWELL !

Yes a totally different sound to Rock and Pop.Brian May apparantly was a fan of this number by The Temperance Seven

• Like 1

Always reminds me of the trek I made to work for a Company that sold Soaps shaped as Toys (Cliro Perfumeries) to major Retailers, from two basement Basement Offices in Nottingham Place, W1. Of the time - Star Wars!

Had to get the tube to the newly restored Baker Street from Liverpoool St Station and a short walk to Nottingham Place.

Much time was spent by the staff checking to avoid the Directors' two Ferrari's from getting Parking Tickets.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Not many people know but his backing band the Pirates were one of the very best rock and roll bands going, again I was fortunate enough to see the Pirates live for about 2 shillings and sixpence their intro was a Jolly Roger type tune with cannon fire then they burst into 'Please don't Touch' a really good rock and roll number. They also did a live session for the BBC which was again brilliant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B1RMA said:

then they burst into 'Please don't Touch' a really good rock and roll number. 

Ah yes. Does anyone remember the sensitive cover of it which this lot did?