Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today i'm listening to...

Steve

There is just so much goodness going on here. A female backing group with June Miles-Kingston drumming and giving perfect harmonies, Caroline Lavelle on the cello looking rather demure astonishing, and Terry Hall showing Robert Smith how to be grumpy. 

• Like 3

On 5/12/2020 at 1:05 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

Went to see these live at the Albert Hall

This peformance was at the end of a musical era in 1964, which I suppose had lasted 60-odd years, just before the Beach Boys were responsible for bringing in a new era of music in 1966 with Good Vibrations.

For the first half-century of recorded music, performers went into the studio, played or sang and went home. For example, in 1961 The Marcels recorded Blue Moon in just three minutes. Just one take. And that gave them nearly 50 seconds to get their coats on - the song is only 2 minutes 11 seconds.

But then in 1966 the Beach Boys produced Good Vibrations, using the new-fangled multi-track recorders and taking 90 hours to record the song over a period of seven months. Wikipedia says it was the most expensive single ever produced at the time.

Now we take it for granted that what we hear on a record is generally not something that a performer could reproduce faithfully on stage. But in 1966 this was a revolution; it was probably comparable to 1928 when Talkies swept away silent films in little more than a year.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

This peformance was at the end of a musical era in 1964, which I suppose had lasted 60-odd years, just before the Beach Boys were responsible for bringing in a new era of music in 1966 with Good Vibrations.

For the first half-century of recorded music, performers went into the studio, played or sang and went home. For example, in 1961 The Marcels recorded Blue Moon in just three minutes. Just one take. And that gave them nearly 50 seconds to get their coats on - the song is only 2 minutes 11 seconds.

But then in 1966 the Beach Boys produced Good Vibrations, using the new-fangled multi-track recorders and taking 90 hours to record the song over a period of seven months. Wikipedia says it was the most expensive single ever produced at the time.

Now we take it for granted that what we hear on a record is generally not something that a performer could reproduce faithfully on stage. But in 1966 this was a revolution; it was probably comparable to 1928 when Talkies swept away silent films in little more than a year.

How many "takes" in Don`s American Pie, William, do you think ?

11 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

How many "takes" in Don`s American Pie, William, do you think ?

Well, of course, I had no idea! So I've looked it up and according to an internet page it was 24.

The song producer Ed Freeman is quoted as saying:

""He is an excellent, very, very talented singer, but someone had apparently made fun of him because he sang things with the exact same vocal inflections every time. So he decided to be more improvisational, and my estimation was that his improvisations just didn't work and were muddling up the song. In my head, I knew what it was supposed to sound like — I don't now remember how I arrived at that, but when I kept asking him to sing it in a certain way, he wouldn't do it. He wanted to play with it every time, inserting slides, melismas and other things that, to my mind, didn't fit. So we ended up recording him 24 times on 16-track tape and took different parts from different takes until I got every word the way I wanted it, without all the play, and I don't think Don appreciated that very much..."

" Now, when I listen to 'American Pie', I know where all of the vocal edits are, but there's only one where I actually smell a rat. One word is made up of three syllables and they come from three different takes."

• Like 3

What a great hit this was - even though the performance was entirely fake as the real Singer left the Group just before its release. His name (and you can still find him singing today)   is Paul da Vinci.   I thought at first it was the guy who sang Wymoweh, but it wasn't.

Cheerful number and those Seventies theatricals.   Nothing like such fun these days (not that I'd really know! )

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

What a great hit this was - even though the performance was entirely fake as the real Singer left the Group just before its release. His name (and you can still find him singing today)   is Paul da Vinci.   I thought at first it was the guy who sang Wymoweh, but it wasn't.

Cheerful number and those Seventies theatricals.   Nothing like such fun these days (not that I'd really know! )

The Tokens....Jay Siegel

Wimoweh....Karl Denver

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This takes me back to '70.  Dan Air to Spain and you just couldn't get away from this Song.    (More amusing to see these p***ed partygoers than the actual by Los Diablos (should that be diabolical?)  entitled "En Rayo de Sol".   And it sure was HOT HOT HOT in Callela De la Costa that first and only visit to Spain.