Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1996 LS400 Project. Let the fun begin.....!

22 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

Yes they are a bit blingy maybe but my opinion, and it’s just my opinion, is that on a dark coloured LS400 they look really really good, stand out and suit the car. I have had lots of comments from people at work saying the gold badges look good.

I agree Razor.If they were original, then leave them as per original.

6 hours ago, Howplum said:

Having passed the MoT test successfully (the car, not me!), I have been wafting around locally, on essential journeys only of course, just to make sure everything works as it should, and that I have not forgotten to put anything back properly, and so far so good. Obviously it's much more comfortable than the daily driver, a BMW 1 series, but it's also quite a bit bigger! This has turned my thoughts to reversing sensors, which seem like a sensible insurance, especially as the bumper has to come off anyway at some point for minor rectification work. Any thoughts?

The gold badges have been bothering me, especially the front one (top left), which are starting look their age, so I removed them this afternoon, VERY carefully.

P1090410.thumb.JPG.f29f0525ee7b66e3b7dd31e43d4d6d21.JPG

Remembering one of the episodes of Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars in which they restored a Volvo 121, they had the boot lid moulding refurbished and chrome painted, and it looked brand new. Anyway, I have found a company, Invicta Spray Chrome, who have quoted £10 per badge, which seems quite reasonable to me. The question is, do I stick with gold to retain originality, but which probably has limited appeal, or have them converted to chrome?

The badges on the wheel centres polish up well though

They are long cars, mine has sensors but only two! Well worth fitting imho. I like the gold badges but mine are silver.

Reversing Sensors.  I recently put a Camera below the Boot lid, but instead of running the Screen (4.3") to the Dash I put it onto the Parcel shelf Speaker grill. Screen and camera hot wired to reverse light with 3a inline fuse.  Its a barely visible picture even with a shroud to hide some reflection.  I will probably re-locate it to the Dash.  Coupled with the fact that I can't easily turn my head to look at it but use the Central Mirror, etc,etc

In a Merc SEL I put the below unit in which also fits onto the parcel shelf. Clearer indication where the obstacles are but no actual view. You can buy them in black.  I bought a set should I decide to scrap the Camera all together. Bit more of a fad installing. Taking off the Bumper I believe presents you with no problem? My own may? Probably a back burner job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Silver-Parking-Sensors-for-Car-Lorry-Reverse-Kit-Buzzer-AudioAlarm-LED-Display/372842295872?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thank you for the responses. It looks as though it's 3 to 1 in favour of gold so far.

Stuart, I did find a similar LED display kit on eBay, albeit with a wireless connection between the sensors and the display:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Car-Parking-Rear-Reverse-4-Sensors-Kit-Buzzer-Radar-Display-Audio-Alarm/293328865271

Another option is this reversing camera kit with a flush mounted camera, which would be neater, if it fits above the number plate:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Reversing-Rear-View-170-IR-Camera-Parking-Backup-Night-Visions-Waterproof/293607614600

can't understand why your gold badges deteriorate in colour ................ when I jangle my pocket full of loose change sovereigns they never seem to tarnish ..........  now, they are difficult to spend these days :unsure: what with most shops only taking card payments

Malc

1 hour ago, Howplum said:

Another option is this reversing camera kit with a flush mounted camera, which would be neater, if it fits above the number plate:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Reversing-Rear-View-170-IR-Camera-Parking-Backup-Night-Visions-Waterproof/293607614600

Yes I did cut a hole between the two Number plate lights and just managed to thread the camera cable through without actually removing the strip which would have needed removing the rear lights or one of them.  The Wireless idea was not arounf when I bought the kit many years ago and left it languishing in a cupboard.  Not sure if I'd want more wireless stuff which might interfere with running my phone's music  via Bluetooth to the Radio? 

• 3 weeks later...

Having manged to bag a new Auto-Vox wireless reversing camera on eBay for £32, I fitted it yesterday. On my model the cable to the reversing light is red with a black tracer, so instead of using the provided Scotchlok connector I used a double bullet connector instead, which means I have the opportunity to add sensors in the future, without disturbing the wiring again.

P1090425.thumb.JPG.6e7a0e8a14ab1999032aea58f0751ee2.JPG

The camera bracket sits behind the top of the number plate and I just needed to drill a small hole in the panel above to feed the cable through, which I then connected to the transmitter.

P1090423.thumb.JPG.47179226ac2c61647bfd6dd732e01fa9.JPG

Tucking the transmitter inside the boot trim panel resulted in a poor connection between it and the monitor, so in the end I taped it to the left side boot hinge. Not elegant, but functional.

P1090427.thumb.JPG.924e7b25bdbaadf52b4a2e28b34098c5.JPG

Signal quality between the transmitter and the monitor can still be a bit iffy, so I haven't done anything about finding a permanent spot for the monitor just yet. The issue is that the receiver which plugs into the 12v socket is big and ugly, so I may put another socket inside the glovebox, once I have decided whether or not I am happy with the set up. 

P1090426.thumb.JPG.b53bff2b3d71b15f29e9e3b0629521b0.JPG

If I find that that I need to replace the system, then I may well go for this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boscam-Reversing-Reverse-Monitor-Waterproof-RVS-K3/dp/B0797SYRGR/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Car+Reversing+Camera&qid=1593350344&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQlM3QUVGRVlOMDIxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjY4NjY4MTdCREZIVEkxMzRONCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzU3MDQ5MUZWUUE0Wk0yQkxJVyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The beauty of that system is that the monitor gets power from the reversing light circuit, so there is no need for a separate power supply at the front of the car.

However, the car has now thanked me by disabling the fuel filler flap release circuit, so I will use the emergency release in the boot for the time being.

I have one of these stuck centrally on the Dashboard and at present it is used for my Dash cam but that goes on to the Mirror when I need my Sat Nav to be in that position.

Some reversing Cameras have the display the passenger side facing the Driver. Another good use for one of these discs.  Is there any reason why you can't route the power cable via the door jam into the bonnet and to the Battery with an appropriate fuse? 

Its my next job to move my Screen from the rear parcel shelf as it's only easily viewable in poor light.  Even with  a Screen around it which I bought (are used by Drone enthusiasts)  its not a grand image.  I might however be able to continue with the power coming from the Brake light as it does at present.  Just will need to cut off the female red plug and link the red pos. cable to the integral red wire which coems with the Yellow circuit. Then the black to a nearby earth point. Well, I think thats all I've got to do?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Coaster-Acrylic-Coasters-Colour-Kitchen-Dining-Table-Square-13-Options/233276655451?var=533196022903&hash=item36505f475b:g:zXYAAOSwsKddGyf-

Sounds like fun!

I can't do much about the cable route for the monitor because the connector in the power socket includes the wireless receiver, so I can't go cutting any wires. Another good argument for switching to the Boscam unit. One for the Christmas list perhaps?

I see your point.  You could buy one of these so that the bulkier Transmitter can be fixed by the passenger central side wall.   I have a four way voltage showing adapter permanently plugged into my Ash Tray Cigar socket.  It give me two optional Sockets which can be switched on or left off and two USB points.    You can of course just use a plug that has two USB points - as below combination

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-To-Car-Power-Cigarette-Cigar-Lighter-5V-12V-Socket-Charger-Adapter-Cable-UK/233620605420?hash=item3664df89ec:g:WkoAAOSwxNte6GBn

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-USB-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Charger-Dual-Fast-Adapter-12v (thread rather long so search this title)

4 hours ago, Howplum said:

and then you'd run the cable to the fuse box and earthing point, presumably.

I've got used to this set up.  Still has the Cigar lighter (not that I can run to Montecristo these days or would smoke in the Mota!)

Provides me with the two USBs which I run to the dashcam and the Satnav when needed. Don't use the other cigar socket but could add another couple of USB's with another insert.  Untidy? well I use cable ties to hold the cables in around the rest of the units.

Only wish the car had an Aux.  My Cassette doesn't work and its not as easy to get in to as the thread on here for a LS430. In fact its spot welded on all sides, so a no no.

IMG_3167.JPG

10 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Bit late to mention it, but that the cable you've taped to the Boot hinge, could have gone inside the hinge area. The plastic strip (on my car) is removable and hollow

Yes - years ago when I fitted my parking sensors I used that hinge channel

I'm still treating it as a temporary measure. It seems to work with very little flickering, but I am hoping it will work with the transmitter tucked inside the boot lid lining. I'm still experimenting. Perhaps I could put a lighter socket inside the centre armrest, possibly incorporating a couple of USB sockets, which would place the receiver plug nearer the transmitter.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:07 PM, Howplum said:

The screen, which is only 3.5", currently sits neatly in the space normally occupied by the ashtray.

I've just moved my screen to above the air vents. Very disappointing.

OK on dull days but otherwise I get reflection of rear side window if facing Driver and also reflection of clothing. As the 4 x 3" Monitor turns out to only be actual image of 3 x 2" not worth all the hassle. Don't know if the smaller image is down to the Camera or what?     Doh!

Yesterday "Postman Pat" delivered my timing belt kit from Rock Auto, although fitting it might have to wait a while whilst I finish off some of my house DIY projects.

It came in a box marked Aisin, although some of the parts are made by others, but all are made in Japan. However, the timing belt by Mitsuboshi did make me think of Chinese copies, but apparently they are a bona fide belt manufacturer, and have been since 1932.

P1090429.thumb.JPG.13b67b6eed6ced26662c3f5c11bf2ca4.JPGP1090430.thumb.JPG.96b0fb1ce6bc7d835680fe9a6bdca230.JPG

It looks a though the solenoid for the fuel flap is faulty so I have sourced a used one from eBay for £25. A lot better than the main stealer's price of £360! 

• Like 2

I replaced the fuel flap solenoid today, so that now works perfectly. The old one looked a bit corroded.

The restored gold badges arrived today, so they are now back on the car. They look MUCH better, but obviously are not to everyone's taste. I'll need to paint the inside of the grille emblem matt black to tone down the "bling" factor, as per the factory finish.

P1090431.thumb.JPG.049279a6fea04bcbce0982a4f746bf75.JPGP1090432.thumb.JPG.62dfbb5cbf90750d84ca8f961644baee.JPGP1090433.thumb.JPG.b6ca4b7214d10c0d01cc044d28a480b6.JPGP1090434.thumb.JPG.4e440b0d7c30ffc16babe270d3b4e9c3.JPGP1090435.thumb.JPG.36b2503ea877a47a59d594812a97b8b8.JPG

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Howplum said:

I replaced the fuel flap solenoid today, so that now works perfectly. The old one looked a bit corroded.

The restored gold badges arrived today, so they are now back on the car. They look MUCH better, but obviously are not to everyone's taste. I'll need to paint the inside of the grille emblem matt black to tone down the "bling" factor, as per the factory finish.

P1090431.thumb.JPG.049279a6fea04bcbce0982a4f746bf75.JPGP1090432.thumb.JPG.62dfbb5cbf90750d84ca8f961644baee.JPGP1090433.thumb.JPG.b6ca4b7214d10c0d01cc044d28a480b6.JPGP1090434.thumb.JPG.4e440b0d7c30ffc16babe270d3b4e9c3.JPGP1090435.thumb.JPG.36b2503ea877a47a59d594812a97b8b8.JPG

They do not look Blingy to me,in fact they give the car enhanced gravitas.

• Like 2

“They do not look Blingy to me,in fact they give the car enhanced gravitas.”

Does this mean the car is now heavier with better road holding characteristics 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just in case anyone is interested, I used this company for the badges:

https://invictaspraychrome.co.uk/

It cost me £60 for all five badges, including VAT and postage, which seemed very reasonable to me, especially since the only other quotation I got was £140.

• Like 1