Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement ignition key

peasoup39

My recently acquired SC came with 2 keys. Turns out one was a genuine  Lexus key and the other a copy. The copy does not work. Tried programming it with the "press accelerator, press brake " procedure but could not programme . Bought a cheapie from China and that will not programme. During the airbag recall visit i asked Lexus Cardiff to try and programme the keys. Despite them not being Lexus keys they tried but again failed. At this point i must tell you what a brilliant experience i had with the visit to Lexus Cardiff. Their service people were extremely obliging, very knowledgeable on the Sc and answered all the questions i posed as a new owner. Top marks to Lexus Cardiff who supplied me with a loan car for 2 days whilst the job was being done.

This still leaves me with the problem of having only one key and do not want to pay the £200.00 plus for a Lexus key. I have tried a few local locksmiths but nobody could help.

What are my options for getting  another key at a reasonable cost

well, sorry to say, ............... seems like £200 is a reasonable cost .................  what did the car cost you ?  I'm a bit surprised Lexus only want to charge you £200 

going back about 25 years i had to pay Vauxhall @£150 for one new programmed key

Malc

What the key  costs isn't necessarily what its worth. I believe several years ago Vauxhall and Alfa Romeo got together to design a foolproof locking system to stop people thieving their cars. Because of that i was quoted £1000.00 by Alfa cardiff for a replacement key.  When you consider what they cost to make that is just ripping off a captive market and totally unjustified.

For what i got for my money the car cost peanuts but that does not mean i am not going to find the cheapest way to run it and if i can find an alternative option at a low price i will . When i run out of other options then i will get one from Lexus.

2 hours ago, Malc said:

well, sorry to say, ............... seems like £200 is a reasonable cost .................  what did the car cost you ?  I'm a bit surprised Lexus only want to charge you £200 

going back about 25 years i had to pay Vauxhall @£150 for one new programmed key

Malc

I lost a BMW key fob 20 years ago , it cost more than £200 to replace it then ! . Someone told me other day a replacement key fob was over £500 for a car , cannot remember what make it was . 

I haven't needed to re-programme an SC key but I have managed to do it with a GS and an RX key so it should be possible with a key blank and a genuine Lexus transponder. I obtained mine from a well known online auction site for around £30

You have to get the sequence for each part of the programming spot on or it won't work. These links may help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/541198-programming-a-key-can-be-done.html

Thanks for the info and advice but I have already downloaded this info and tried to programme the keys. In fact i must have tried about 20 times. i can only summise that the spare keys are broken/ incompatible and will never programme.

Yes i agree. If there is anyone out there with any old Lexus keys they no longer require i will be happy to buy. The number on my good key moulded into the transponder is 50122  11F02

I used a automotive locksmith to sort me out a key ...most towns have them . First I bought a genuine used Lexus key off eBay, took that to the locksmith, he cut a fresh key using my original as a template, then put the transponder internals from the eBay key into the newly cut key and programmed It and only cost me £80.

• Like 2