Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Leaving Lexus behind in Spain

Currently stuck in Spain, but now getting flight back on Sunday ( hopefully) after ferry crossing cancelled for next month  . Will Leave Lexus  Parked outside on a drive way . Anything I should do ? Foot brake on or off ? . What about the alarm ? Any suggestions would be welcome . 

Probably leave the foot brake off, although it should be ok on as it's only a month,was going to suggest a jump pack but as you have a hybrid not too sure

1 hour ago, Dealkent said:

Currently stuck in Spain, but now getting flight back on Sunday ( hopefully) after ferry crossing cancelled for next month  . Will Leave Lexus  Parked outside on a drive way . Anything I should do ? Foot brake on or off ? . What about the alarm ? Any suggestions would be welcome . 

You might have to leave it there for 3 months or so Howard.

My advice would be;

Leave in PARK

Footbrake off

Connect a Battery charger e.g. CTEK MX5

Cover Steering Wheel  and Dashboard with a sheet

Cover entire car with a sheet and make sure that the Reg No. cannot be seen.

Leave Alarm on and fully inflate tyres.

and oh, lock the gate to your driveway!

Good luck.

Edited by royoftherovers
typo
  • Thanks 1

I once left an IS300h (2013 Premier spec) parked in the open at an airport for close to a month in winter, with the alarm on.  I left the foot brake off but wedged the rear tyres with stones. I presumed the Battery to have been fully charged after a long motorway drive.  The car started at the first attempt, and the only problem was a marked loss of pressure in all four tyres, so I would suggest you over-inflate before leaving the car.  

Thanks for all the advice everyone. It will now be left in underground car park . We cannot drive to our friends house to leave on driveway, will be stopped by police and a fine . It’s basically Marshal Law now . Will leave the foot brake OFF and alarm ON as advised . A friend will check on it every week or so . It’s an absolute nightmare here , especially as can’t even take a taxi to airport with 2 in car , one person per Taxi !!!!!!. . Will try to walk to station and get train to airport . 

On 3/19/2020 at 6:01 PM, Malc said:

maybe drive to one of the other ferry terminals ................. in France ?

Malc

Hotels all shut , no where to eat . Brittany ferries stopped all crossing FRANCE to UK some time ago , now they have stopped Spain yo UK , I would guess thousands have been affected . 

On 3/19/2020 at 5:34 PM, scudney said:

Probably leave the foot brake off, although it should be ok on as it's only a month,was going to suggest a jump pack but as you have a hybrid not too sure

Expecting it to Be Left here for at least 3 / 4 months . Meant to be back in July , hopefully 🤞

oh my, what a disaster started by the Chinese eh !

Oh well, can but do one's best at these challenging times

Good luck with you're plans whatever you decide you can do

Hope the Spanish taxi drivers aren't going to take the p - - ss with your fares

Malc

22 hours ago, Dealkent said:

Expecting it to Be Left here for at least 3 / 4 months . Meant to be back in July , hopefully 🤞

Check your Insurance Cover Howard.

I had to leave my Merc in Spain last year fro 3 months and fortunately I was covered throughout the year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 11:20 AM, royoftherovers said:

Check your Insurance Cover Howard.

I had to leave my Merc in Spain last year fro 3 months and fortunately I was covered throughout the year.

We have car insurance with Saga , purely because they cover the car in Europe with no limitations, all the other insurance companies restricted you to 45 days etc .

44 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

We have car insurance with Saga , purely because they cover the car in Europe with no limitations, all the other insurance companies restricted you to 45 days etc .

That`s why I am with LV.

Glad you are covered.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 5:09 PM, royoftherovers said:

That`s why I am with LV.

Glad you are covered.

Does LV  do European cover with out a limit on number of days there ???  I would be interested 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 8:11 PM, royoftherovers said:

It is not EUROPEAN it is those countries which are members of the European Union.

Yes , but what is the right restriction of time allowed in Eu ? Some insurers have fixed number of days , 45 etc . Saga Is unlimited. 

15 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

Yes , but what is the right restriction of time allowed in Eu ? Some insurers have fixed number of days , 45 etc . Saga Is unlimited. 

Currently 6 months in each year.

After 3/12/20 it depends upon the outcome of negotiations.We will have to wait and see.

It may well be 3 months in any 6 month period  !!

On 4/23/2020 at 5:56 PM, royoftherovers said:

Currently 6 months in each year.

After 3/12/20 it depends upon the outcome of negotiations.We will have to wait and see.

It may well be 3 months in any 6 month period  !!

Thanks , 6 months would be fine . Fingers crossed for after Brexit