Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

You could watch the exercise they did in 2019 in preparation. 

Might give some clue about future reactions and actions as things progress..................

Last night on the News (BBC?)  they interviewed a guy who was presumably knowledgeable in something or other and he suggested it was perfectly OK to go out for a drive!  How irresponsible is the Broadcaster to let this guy platform the wrong information and not correct it before end of programme.  Only good side of this thing is that it may take the other virus off the streets, ie Drugs and knifings.  Police will be able to stop and search etc. 

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Last night on the News (BBC?)  they interviewed a guy who was presumably knowledgeable in something or other and he suggested it was perfectly OK to go out for a drive!  How irresponsible is the Broadcaster to let this guy platform the wrong information and not correct it before end of programme

I don't see anything wrong with going out for a drive to be honest - although I'm not going to do it.

How more 'socially-distanced' could you be from others when you're inside your car whizzing past them? The problem would be if you drove to a destination and then got out of the car for a walk or a chat or something, but I see nothing wrong with, say, going to the seaside and parking up on the prom to watch the sea - as long as you stay in the car - but again, I reiterate that I'm not going to do it and it's only my personal opinion.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jonthetourist said:

The best thing I have read on how the future looks is this one. First time I felt I understood the background, the changing response, and what the future looks like.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Jon

A good link john.

I found it both alarming and uplifting.

We need leaders who will stand or fall by their decisions.

We do not need leaders who wish to be all things to all people.

Many thanks.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Does anyone here know anyone with the virus?

YES

my gfs nephew has 4 young kids in Charlton London. The 10 y/o has it quite bad initially but recovering it seems .....  everyone else seems ok but doing what's necessary, which is difficult with 3 other young kids

My senior office guy, his uncle living in Virginia USA, a very very healthy 70 y/o attended a local 100 delegate conference with 6 Chinese there. He died of this on 26th January, 10 days after the conference

Malc

Wishing the boy a speedy recovery and sorry about your other guy. It does seem much harder on the elderly and ill (I have asthma as may have said earlier so keeping well out of the way of other folk)

We are trying to look after my in laws and keep distance but it's so easy to transfer on plastic. 

I wonder if everyone is washing their plastic wrapped shopping before storing?

Quote "The problem would be if you drove to a destination and then got out of the car for a walk or a chat or something, but I see nothing wrong with, say, going to the seaside and parking up on the prom to watch the sea - as long as you stay in the car - but again, I reiterate that I'm not going to do it and it's only my personal opinion" Unquote

So on a nice day like today you get Bondi Beach situation. 

You might need petrol? one stop possible contact.  You will almost certainly need a parking ticket - second stop possible contact and if its my Sea front you won't be able to park for double yellows and need to go to a Car Park.   No one will want a pee when the Sea breeze hits you? - Toilets - third stop and contact. 

People who go to Frinton on sea I'd expect to ignore the "please stay at home" message from the PM.  But that's Frinton for you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Comedian said:

Yes, my brother but got over it within a week. Nothing too bad, a fever with sweating for 2-3 days and feeling fine 7 days later.

23 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Yes, my brother but got over it within a week. Nothing too bad, a fever with sweating for 2-3 days and feeling fine 7 days later.

Good news. 

52 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

You might need petrol? one stop possible contact.  You will almost certainly need a parking ticket - second stop possible contact and if its my Sea front you won't be able to park for double yellows and need to go to a Car Park.   No one will want a pee when the Sea breeze hits you? - Toilets - third stop and contact. 

My car has a beige or ivory leather interior that I try to keep as clean as possible, so I always have disposable gloves in the car for use at petrol pumps etc. Those gloves would also do for your other scenarios, although my wife is disabled so we do have a blue badge for her and don't always need parking tickets. As for toilets, disposable gloves, face mask and antibacterial hand gel should suffice.

If I hadn't had a severe back injury that saw me being medically retired, as a telephone engineer I'd be classed as an essential worker and have no choice but to enter into all the scenarios you mention.

On 3/23/2020 at 10:54 PM, royoftherovers said:

And if you were in  France or Spain Phil you would have to complete documentation for production to local Police Officers to justify your journey.

I did think that the Prime Minister would introduce that for jorneys in UK,but he might have that up his sleeve for future implementation should hi advices not be followed.

How did you return from Spain last week--car, plane ,ferry ? 

Can you remember how you got home Phil ?

10 minutes ago, Herbie said:

My car has a beige or ivory leather interior that I try to keep as clean as possible, so I always have disposable gloves in the car for use at petrol pumps etc. Those gloves would also do for your other scenarios, although my wife is disabled so we do have a blue badge for her and don't always need parking tickets. As for toilets, disposable gloves, face mask and antibacterial hand gel should suffice.

If I hadn't had a severe back injury that saw me being medically retired, as a telephone engineer I'd be classed as an essential worker and have no choice but to enter into all the scenarios you mention.

If you were an active worker thats fair enough - wouldn't want our internet to go down as it did recently! Five days and that was the delay for a business line!

Its the hot breath of the person behind you at the Petrol Station pay point, or waiting in line at the Car Park pay machine, or passing another person in the doorway going in/coming out of a Public Toilet.  All potential hazzards which if you've got the Virus you may pass to others. Surely people can neglect their cars for the duration of this crisis and not add to risk and Police surveillance.

Fact is, a lot of people at home will see this as a holiday opportunity to go out and about.   We would have gone to France but  now its a no no, so have a further worry about property abroad which it had been our plan to put on the market.  Not much chance of that happening and we are in the high risk category.  Our offspring may inherit a nightmare.   

3 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Our offspring may inherit a nightmare.   

nah, proposal to confiscate all foreign owned empty property to house the French homeless :unsure:

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

If you were an active worker thats fair enough - wouldn't want our internet to go down as it did recently! Five days and that was the delay for a business line!

Its the hot breath of the person behind you at the Petrol Station pay point, or waiting in line at the Car Park pay machine, or passing another person in the doorway going in/coming out of a Public Toilet.  All potential hazzards which if you've got the Virus you may pass to others. Surely people can neglect their cars for the duration of this crisis and not add to risk and Police surveillance.

Fact is, a lot of people at home will see this as a holiday opportunity to go out and about.   We would have gone to France but  now its a no no, so have a further worry about property abroad which it had been our plan to put on the market.  Not much chance of that happening and we are in the high risk category.  Our offspring may inherit a nightmare.   

You are alone Stuart as we are all in this together.

• Thanks 1

I live near the New Forest. Yesterday we drove the few miles to a remote area and walked around for 30 minutes. There was nobody within sight for most of the time. We got back in the car and drove home.

I can't see any problem with this. It's not the driving that could be an issue, it's where you go and who you contact. Regarding the petrol station or toilet, just be observant and keep your distance from others. As for the police, I think they will have higher priorities than asking drivers where they are going (at least after the show put on for the media). What can they do if you just say "to the supermarket"?

I'm more worried about all the heavy breathing cyclists and runners...

• Like 3

The concern with driving is that if you are likely to need fuel and may come into contact with folks or touch the pump/credit card scanner/etc that might be infected. 

You might also have an accident that then involves the police and if it's serious the fire brigade or hospital, all of these resources are likely to be or become stretched...so why make it worse?

There are many unknowns, maybe's and what if's but the concensus is it's safer to restrict your movements, so reduce the risk to yourself and others.

I don't pretend to be an expert or know how this is all going to pan out but I do hope that we all get out of this fit and well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Comedian said:

Yes unfortunately. Remember Holland is some week and a half before the UK in this nightmare. My sister, her husband and oldest daughter now have it for over a week. My neighbour in my office center has a 23 y o nephew that is in hospital with corona. One of my Dutch customers 18yo son is locked in his room coughing and sweating, one of his warehouse workers is in quarantaine at home. My wife works in a nursing home and today a resident died of corona after quarantained for just over a week.

That is the status of today could be different tomorrow..

3 Friends have had it and recovered, all in their late 40s, early 50s. 
2 other friends have just gone down with it.

This weekend I will be repairing my shed and building a planter for my better half.
After that I have some foot-peg lowerers to fit to my 1400GTR and 2 new smoke detectors to fit.

15 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Yes unfortunately. Remember Holland is some week and a half before the UK in this nightmare. My sister, her husband and oldest daughter now have it for over a week. My neighbour in my office center has a 23 y o nephew that is in hospital with corona. One of my Dutch customers 18yo son is locked in his room coughing and sweating, one of his warehouse workers is in quarantaine at home. My wife works in a nursing home and today a resident died of corona after quarantained for just over a week.

That is the status of today could be different tomorrow..

Fingers crossed all. I don't know anyone directly but friends are now starting to report they know people too. 

I'm trying to understand the lack of concern from some people. 

I was trying to explain to someone the other day that just because they didn't know anyone didn't mean it was a hoax.

I had to explain approx 500k people died in UK last year and I did not know one of them - that's how the numbers play out. 

I had cause to leave my home yesterday (Wednesday) for the first time since the PM's announcement on Monday evening to do some much needed shopping. What struck me was that although the High Street and shops were less busy than usual, most of the people I encountered (in relatively close proximity, e.g. walking towards me on the same pavement) were not conforming to social distancing.

At times I had to walk in the road (or cross it) to get round people who seemed totally oblivious of the need to keep a safe distance apart. There were a few people that were complying (and we would exchange a knowing nod as we passed) but not many. Either these people are too thick to understand the concept of social distancing or just don't care. To be honest, I was relieved to get back home. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links