Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CTEK MXS 5.0 Battery Charger

JeffL

I'm considering buying a CTEK MX5 Battery Charger. It's been recommended on this forum many times. However, just read this review on amazon about an apparently known issue with the mode button. Anyone on here had this problem?

Well, I already have a CTEK MXS 10 which (at present) is faultless, so I decided to purchase an additional MXS 5.0.
went I first got it, I was very pleased. However, on only the second use, the mode button was a bit sticky before I managed to select the right mode.
On the third use, the mode button was stuck on Motorcycle and no matter how I tried, it proved impossible to select any other mode.
Googling, this issue, it is apparent that this is a common issue with this unit, and has been for years. The initial fix was to open the case and spray the contacts on the pcb with contact cleaner. CTEK then decided to completely seal the case making it impossible to open the case without destroying it, whilst still utilising the same crappy mode button contacts.

Despite complaining to CTEK, I can not tesolve the issue. CTEK responded by answering a completely different question (that I did not ask) and not responding to my query/complaint.

Absolute rubbish. Don't waste your hard earned cash on this useless charger.
That said, I do recommend the MXS 10, of which I have two, but I can not recommend the MXS 5.0.
Sorry CTEK, but you really need to resolve this isue.

I was thinking of ordering one tomorrow, CTEK MX5! Overall reviews are really good! I hope it is good, any more reviews from here everyone? Thanks

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Vlady said:

I was thinking of ordering one tomorrow, CTEK MX5! Overall reviews are really good! I hope it is good, any more reviews from here everyone? Thanks

I have not heard or read a bad review/comment Vlad. Go for it I say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

I have not heard or read a bad review/comment Vlad. Go for it I say.

Thanks John, I started my motorbike yesterday and it was struggling a bit even though the Battery is 2 years old. I knew I would need at some point Battery charger and as my birthday on Friday I thought why not?! 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, royoftherovers said:

Happy Birthday for Friday Vlady and have you ordered that MX5 from Amazon yet ?????

Will do it tonight John! Many thanks for birthday wishes John! 😉

I have a CTEK, no problems at all. Every review I have ever read is full of praise, and even though it is more expensive it is deemed to be good value. I can only speak as I find 🤗

• Thanks 1

Well that's good news. I only brought up the matter as the review referred to a 'Known Issue' with the mode button. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=268116

Also this from 3 years ago https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=18&t=1660338

Both from 2017.

• 1 year later...

Apart from noting that I’ve never had a problem with my MXS 5, I thought I’d mention the Comfort connector leads that CTEK sells as an alternative to the standard leads supplied with the charger.

For anyone not aware of them, they have a three LED light cluster built-in to the lead.  They offer a traffic light system of blinking lights that give you an immediate indication as to the Battery condition.  An alternative - but non-charging version - can be run inside the car if you don’t want to open the bonnet to check.

I fitted them to both our cars and have found them to be a useful prompt to give the Battery an overnight charge.