Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Daylight running lights

markeyszoo

DRLs should come on with the ignition and go off when the ignition is switched off, so you can piggyback on any fuse that is ignition switched.

Additionally, because they are very bright (they have to be bright enough to be clearly seen on a sunny day) they present a very real dazzle hazard during the hours of darkness, so you must wire a relay in the circuit so that the DRLs are automatically switched off as soon as you turn your sidelights on.

This topic may help you:

I fitted them to my Celsior, I bought the lights online and the electrical fitting kit from ECP.  A very simple job with one wire to earth and the other to the side light live.  So now they come on with the ignition and go out when other lights are switched on.  They've been working fine now for several months.

On 3/23/2020 at 10:28 AM, The-Acre said:

I fitted them to my Celsior, I bought the lights online and the electrical fitting kit from ECP.  A very simple job with one wire to earth and the other to the side light live.  So now they come on with the ignition and go out when other lights are switched on.  They've been working fine now for several months.

Have you been through an MOT with them yet?

I am looking to wire up my fogs as DRLs.....modified a HID harness reversing the relay as "always on" and off when sidelights provide 12v.

2 hours ago, Billnick said:

Have you been through an MOT with them yet?

I am looking to wire up my fogs as DRLs.....modified a HID harness reversing the relay as "always on" and off when sidelights provide 12v.

I have, yes, with no problem. I did it all by the book so I wasn't expecting a problem. I can't help thinking you may face problems MOT wise if you do that with your fogs. I may be wrong.

I believe front fogs are not an MOT requirement, only a single red on the rear is needed.

So if I wire them up same as DRLs (shutting off with sidelights on and using LED bulbs).....no different to those cars you see with the DRLs down in the fog position I am thinking?

Eg Volvo, Toyota Prius.....

If there are any MOT testers here that can put me right, happy to hear from you.

1 hour ago, Billnick said:

I believe front fogs are not an MOT requirement, only a single red on the rear is needed.

So if I wire them up same as DRLs (shutting off with sidelights on and using LED bulbs).....no different to those cars you see with the DRLs down in the fog position I am thinking?

Eg Volvo, Toyota Prius.....

If there are any MOT testers here that can put me right, happy to hear from you.

Good point on the rear requirement.  If you don't get any info here you could maybe make an "essential" journey to an MOT garage and ask, from 2 metres of course!

6 hours ago, Billnick said:

I am looking to wire up my fogs as DRLs.

Front fog lights only have to be tested if the vehicle was first used on or after 1st March 2018.

Strangely though, you may still fail the MOT with regards to switching of fog lamps. If the car has a dedicated and specific switch for fog lights, then it must operate those lights as expected.

foglights.thumb.png.7596b1d4a6d0fff7ebb02ec154d9dab6.png

Great thanks for that, saves the embarrassment of failure.

I will try figure a way of making them still operative by using multiple relays, or simply plug the OEM loom back into them before each MOT.