Ken_1969

Independant Lexus shops in SW London/Surrey?

Recommended Posts

Can anyone recommend a decent garage somewhere around the London/Surrey borders?  
I appear to have broken my ignition by accidentally putting the wrong key in (my old RX300 was written off, bought a replacement and still had the key on my key ring).  Currie Motors in Twickenham seemed pretty clueless when I spoke to them and wouldn't give me a quote without me bringing it in to look at. Unfortunately I also hadn't gotten round to updating my breakdown policy which was on the car, not the driver, so will have to pay to take it somewhere and don't want to do that til I've got a fair idea what it will cost.  I spent an hour getting the run around put on hold, transferred etc and nobody really seemed to have any idea what it might cost which was worrying. 
Any recommendations greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add - I did first spend some hours hunting the internet for possible DIY solutions - I tried disconnecting the Battery for 10 mins, using the (correct!) key to manually unlock the door and lock it multiple times, and using the button on the fob to unlock it (apparrently some people had some luck with a certain sequence of key presses but didn't work for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You say you've broken the ignition, but could you be more specific? Is the steering lock not accepting the correct key now and the lock isn't turning and releasing, or is the security system not recognising the key (engine will turn over and not start) when you try and start the car?

It just helps knowing what the problem is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2020 at 3:15 PM, Delphius1 said:

You say you've broken the ignition, but could you be more specific? Is the steering lock not accepting the correct key now and the lock isn't turning and releasing, or is the security system not recognising the key (engine will turn over and not start) when you try and start the car?

It just helps knowing what the problem is.

The key inserts, but cannot turn it at all.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm being quoted £100's to replace the ignition - does anyone know how big a job this really is? Thinking about it, I already have a spare part from my old Lexus - the one who's key caused the problem in the first place!  It's due to be scrapped anyway so I guess I just need a garage to swap the parts - anyone know if this is an easy job or something that only a Lexus specialist could do? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be something as simple as the steering lock preventing the key from turning? Have you tried wiggling the steering wheel backwards and forwards whilst gently trying to turn the key? Be careful as the plastic on the key is quite fragile and easy to break.

Sometimes disasters are not as bad as they first seem. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JBPRX400h said:

Could it be something as simple as the steering lock preventing the key from turning? Have you tried wiggling the steering wheel backwards and forwards whilst gently trying to turn the key? Be careful as the plastic on the key is quite fragile and easy to break.

Sometimes disasters are not as bad as they first seem. Good luck!

Hiya,
The steering wheel moves reasonably freely and doesn't seem locked at all, but yes I tried wiggling it while turning the key.  

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

I don't have a direct  recommendation but you really need an auto locksmith and preferably one that is familiar with Lexus.  Some advertise here  https://www.google.com/search?q=specialist+in+replacing+Lexus+ignition+cylinder&oq=specialist+in+replacing+Lexus+ignition+cylinder&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.84526j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8  This job could be quite involved.  This guy managed it with some bodges albeit on a a 2007 RX 350.  He was lucky not to damage the aluminium cylinder housing beyond more than was repairable with epoxy. Ignore first few seconds, don't know why these were included.

It the fault is due to damage caused within the cylinder as is most likely in your case,  it might be possible for a locksmith to use picks to move the position where the cylinder can be removed  by depressing a securing plunger. Whether this is possible without removing the housing on your model I don't know. (I wouldn't try to do this yourself by forcing the key or hammering a screwdriver in the cylinder as this could break the key in the cylinder/damage the shaft or damage the housing.  Whether the cylinder from your other car is a suitable transplant remains to be established and if so you would accept a key just serving the ignition as opposed to buying a new cylinder from Lexus specifically suited to your car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would highly recommend Russell Birch of Toyotec in Redhill - http://www.toyotec.co.uk

I had a bunch of MOT work that needed doing and he saved me well over £500 compared to what my local garage were going to charge, purely through better techniques and knowledge of the car. And he also diagnosed an engine bay rattle for me for free (it was my aftermarket cruise control unit).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all - thanks for the advice - I got hold of an auto locksmith and he fixed the problem in less than 10 minutes - basically the "wafers" were bent and he just got in there and straightened things out! 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, m4rkw said:

I would highly recommend Russell Birch of Toyotec in Redhill - http://www.toyotec.co.uk

I had a bunch of MOT work that needed doing and he saved me well over £500 compared to what my local garage were going to charge, purely through better techniques and knowledge of the car. And he also diagnosed an engine bay rattle for me for free (it was my aftermarket cruise control unit).

Hi Mark,

Appreciate the recommendation - I have sorted my problem now but may need some help with some other bits! 🙂

Thanks again!
Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ken_1969 said:

Hi all - thanks for the advice - I got hold of an auto locksmith and he fixed the problem in less than 10 minutes - basically the "wafers" were bent and he just got in there and straightened things out! 
 

Great result!  Pleased for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 6:57 AM, m4rkw said:

I would highly recommend Russell Birch of Toyotec in Redhill - http://www.toyotec.co.uk

I had a bunch of MOT work that needed doing and he saved me well over £500 compared to what my local garage were going to charge, purely through better techniques and knowledge of the car. And he also diagnosed an engine bay rattle for me for free (it was my aftermarket cruise control unit).

I can recommend Russel too, I have been taking my 300 and 400 there for many years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.