Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gutted, no RX for me for now.

I know this is very much a first world problem but after a moment of excitement hearing on Saturday my new RX should be available for pickup on the 31st March, today I got the dreaded phone call that the dealership is shutting down (I'm unclear if this is just sales) due to Covid-19 and no new toy for me.

My inner child is so disappointed.

Anyway keep safe out there folks.

I'll be along soon to rejoin the Lexus owning family.

• Sad 3

Hi Peter sorry about your disappointment but unfortunately it's one of those unfortunate unforeseen circumstances,hopefully fingers crossed you will soon get your new RX🤞👍

9 hours ago, PeterI said:

I know this is very much a first world problem but after a moment of excitement hearing on Saturday my new RX should be available for pickup on the 31st March, today I got the dreaded phone call that the dealership is shutting down (I'm unclear if this is just sales) due to Covid-19 and no new toy for me.

You have much to look forward to Peter and I can see that your glass is more than half full!

Good luck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PeterI said:

Think positively. You couldn't drive it even if you had it. It will also be registered later 👍

7 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Think positively. You couldn't drive it even if you had it. It will also be registered later 👍

Very true, just needed somewhere to express my disappointment where folks will sympathise. Later registration will sadly cost another £400(ish) due to VED changes.

Still at least I know that putting more diesel into the X3 is a good idea.

• Like 1

Ah Peter!

Condolences - - but, like you, am ever the optimist, it will be worth waiting for, it won't disappoint, (and it won't have caught the trendy virus that's going round at the moment!)

• 1 month later...

Well it looks like Lexus Woodford are opening back up... (according to their twitter account)

It's been a long two months, now I just need to keep my fingers crossed and wait a little bit longer for some RX shaped happiness.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm finally back after Lexus Woodford opened up (who were very busy with cars being dropped of for a service), picked the RX up this morning. Can't quite decide if the truncated handover process is a good thing or not, given I've already read the manuals while waiting, basically handover the old car, pay and go.

So far impressions are good, the HUD is an amazing piece of technology, well worth the money. Integration with Android Auto is nice, although the voice control seems a bit sluggish (I'm guessing it's sent off to a server somewhere). The infotainment system does seem a little awkward compared to the BMW/Mercedes versions which I've played with in hire cars.

rx1_small.thumb.jpg.cfd8484b276427404d68a4225a3d4e12.jpg

Spent a happy twenty minutes or so setting Android Auto up and playing with voice commands in my local Lidls carpark.

.rx2_small.thumb.jpg.939fb44135d042a3a2fd79eb195e7d93.jpg

Bit of a squeeze getting between the gate posts at home, definitely know the parking radar is working. It feels much wider than the BMW X3 I've been driving (only 11mm according to wikipedia) which is a bit stressing on the first attempt at parking. I'm sure I'll get used to it and find out where the corners are (although I still miss the LS400 which was 66mm narrower).

Can't quite decide if I want to turn off the keyless entry yet, going to see how I get on with a Faraday box and turning on Battery saver mode.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, PeterI said:

Well I'm finally back after Lexus Woodford opened up (who were very busy with cars being dropped of for a service), picked the RX up this morning. Can't quite decide if the truncated handover process is a good thing or not, given I've already read the manuals while waiting, basically handover the old car, pay and go.

So far impressions are good, the HUD is an amazing piece of technology, well worth the money. Integration with Android Auto is nice, although the voice control seems a bit sluggish (I'm guessing it's sent off to a server somewhere). The infotainment system does seem a little awkward compared to the BMW/Mercedes versions which I've played with in hire cars.

Spent a happy twenty minutes or so setting Android Auto up and playing with voice commands in my local Lidls carpark.

Bit of a squeeze getting between the gate posts at home, definitely know the parking radar is working. It feels much wider than the BMW X3 I've been driving (only 11mm according to wikipedia) which is a bit stressing on the first attempt at parking. I'm sure I'll get used to it and find out where the corners are (although I still miss the LS400 which was 66mm narrower).

Can't quite decide if I want to turn off the keyless entry yet, going to see how I get on with a Faraday box and turning on battery saver mode.

You sure have got a big baby now Peter.

Why did you leave Lexus  and why have you returned ?

22 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

You sure have got a big baby now Peter.

Why did you leave Lexus  and why have you returned ?

Two weeks after my father had died my 1997 LS400 front suspension spring snapped, so I ended up inheriting his 2012 BMW X3 2.0d. Neither vehicle is ULEZ compliant which when it expands in 2021 will cover my house so it was an excuse to get a new car and maximum value on the part-ex for X3.

The LS400 was an ex company car bought at 3 years old IIRC when Lexus gave a 3 year 100,000 mile waranty on second hand vehicles. Car tax reduced by third as it was over three years old and doing over the 2000 miles a year required gave another third off which made the benefit in kind tax more like a Vauxhall Cavalier (numbers might not be quite right but that was the idea). I bought the car off the company when it was six years old and ran it to over 100K. Since it wasn't ULEZ compliant, the body work was getting tatty due to on street parking and various dings from other motorists and finally it needed a cam belt change I'd been waiting for something major to go wrong and didn't trust the LS400 on long journeys any more.

I found I liked the height of the BMW X3 when driving so I wanted an SUV, but I wasn't that keen on getting a diesel again (although the Mercedes E class I hired drove fairly well) I need something that could do a trip to Edinburgh which ruled out a lot of the current electric vehicles (due to recharge times), I did wonder about a Tesla but the fit and finish + spares situation put me off. I'm still not quite sure why I ended back with Lexus I did have a look around the market I have a feeling it was down to the overall reliability which I think the germans have let slip and I like the Origami design language Lexus use, it's not a boring look.

7 hours ago, PeterI said:

Have you not got 360 degrees camera view fitted? 

6 hours ago, PeterI said:

Two weeks after my father had died my 1997 LS400 front suspension spring snapped, so I ended up inheriting his 2012 BMW X3 2.0d. Neither vehicle is ULEZ compliant which when it expands in 2021 will cover my house so it was an excuse to get a new car and maximum value on the part-ex for X3.

The LS400 was an ex company car bought at 3 years old IIRC when Lexus gave a 3 year 100,000 mile waranty on second hand vehicles. Car tax reduced by third as it was over three years old and doing over the 2000 miles a year required gave another third off which made the benefit in kind tax more like a Vauxhall Cavalier (numbers might not be quite right but that was the idea). I bought the car off the company when it was six years old and ran it to over 100K. Since it wasn't ULEZ compliant, the body work was getting tatty due to on street parking and various dings from other motorists and finally it needed a cam belt change I'd been waiting for something major to go wrong and didn't trust the LS400 on long journeys any more.

I found I liked the height of the BMW X3 when driving so I wanted an SUV, but I wasn't that keen on getting a diesel again (although the Mercedes E class I hired drove fairly well) I need something that could do a trip to Edinburgh which ruled out a lot of the current electric vehicles (due to recharge times), I did wonder about a Tesla but the fit and finish + spares situation put me off. I'm still not quite sure why I ended back with Lexus I did have a look around the market I have a feeling it was down to the overall reliability which I think the germans have let slip and I like the Origami design language Lexus use, it's not a boring look.

Many thanks Peter and set in a nice historical perspective too.

Gosh `d forgotten those days when we had to achieve 2000 miles--might have been early 80`s?

But I can still remember vividly being at Wembley Stadium in 1974 when Wolves beat Man City 2-1 in the League Cup Final.The mind is a funny thing.

Anyway, do enjoy the RX and welcome back to the fold. Happy Motoring.

• Thanks 1

Just re-checked and it's the wing mirrors, including those the X3 is 2096mm, the RX is 2180mm those extra 42mm on each side makes a difference.

Probably need to use the folding function on the way in/out to save on the stress.

I suppose this is what is a face lift to the 4th Gen RX450h.  I think subtle improvements have made for a very good improvement. I prefer the dimensions of the 3rd Gen and down here in Devon even that can be wide on some of our lanes.  I got some very light scratching on the nearside of my car and a Range Rover was similary positioned coming the other way.  We both folded our mirrors in as we edged past each other.  I couldn't have managed it with the wider 4th Gen.

3 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Have you not got 360 degrees camera view fitted? 

It's F-Sport (with Takumi pack) or Takumi grade here for them in the UK which is a lot of money (around £6K) and it's the only feature in the Takumi level that I'd actually want (although the wider choice of interiors would have been nice), and it seems a bit earlier to tell if the blade scan headlights might have a nasty failure rate in a few years time.

Looks like it's available in the US as a standalone option but not here, the US seem to be a bit more flexible around options but I didn't bother to play enough with their configuration tool to be certain and there are some options which require other bits and pieces adding. I did wonder if it would be possible to retrofit but I'll let someone else figure that out.

5 hours ago, PeterI said:

Looks like it's available in the US as a standalone option but not here, the US seem to be a bit more flexible around options but I didn't bother to play enough with their configuration tool to be certain and there are some options which require other bits and pieces adding. I did wonder if it would be possible to retrofit but I'll let someone else figure that out.

Highly unlikely to be a retro fit option as there are cameras in the grill and both outside mirrors. It's the one feature I would miss as my car port is very tight ( as Barry points out) and the extra dimensions over my 3rd Gen car does make a difference. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links