Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Im In To Minds,your Thoughts Please

Hi All,I normally dont have this problem.I cant decide weather to keep or sale my ls400.I Love everything about the car apart from the handling and its performance,up againest my 24V Senator auto the ls400 mk1 feels flat,yea i know now i should have bought at least a series 3,the book 0 to 60 on the mk1 400 is 8.3sec on the lexus site which should be quicker than the 24v senator which is 8.5sec.Now in practice along a quiet bit of road i know the senator is quicker everywhere,0 to whatever,30mph to 70mph etc you get the picture.THE LEXUS IS A DIFFERENT ANIMAL to the senator and 50% of me wants to keep it for its greatness compared to the senator and 50% of me whats to sell it when i come to a corner or put my foot door. So what should i do? sell the ls400 and sell the Senator24V and buy a newer version Ls400? I know they are quicker as they go up the model range,does the handling get alot better? Or sell the Senator24V and spend money on the mk1 Ls400 on improving the handling and more money to make it quicker? Or sell the Senator24V and keep the Ls400 but keep it original and then buy another (old) sportier quicker car as well,owning one car for lux and another car for handling and performance. Or be happy with what i got and just keep the Senator and keep the Ls400? :duh: :unsure::yawn:

Personally, I think you need to work out exactly what you want from a car.

A Lexus LS400 is the perfect luxury vehicle in terms of quietness, smoothness and comfort in it's class, it's designed for those who want to be relatively discrete and who are not interested in a sporting character as they would prefer luxury over speed and handling.

If you want a sportier drive in this size of vehicle, then you would be better off with something like a BMW 7 series, they are not as smooth or quiet but are more of a drivers machine.

This is why all reviews always give the LS400/LS430 terrible reviews like 2/5 or whatever because they say that it is not a drivers car - but that's the point, it was never meant to be and they never respect the LS series for what they were designed for.

If your finding that the LS400 is too 'easy' and want something more challenging then try a 7 series, I personally prefer the LS (even at the age of 20) but thats because I prefer smoothness and quietness over driver involvement.

If you can sell it for a good price, I would try to find an GS300 MK1 or even a Aristo Twin Turbo. Although the engine of the GS300 is smaller, the car drives much more sporty (and their are more mods available).

If you get an Aristo TT, then even a M3 cannot keep up to you in straight lines :P

If not, keeping the LS400, which is also not bad, but probably you need to do some engine maintenance, like cleaning the Trottlebody, exchanging the engine oil, the transmission oil, and if your car is in good condition, you can lower your car a bit (improves its handling a lot), get an intake, replace the exhaust system, and add a strut brace.

Dude,

You want grace and smoothness with sheer power, get a Jaguar XJR. Those things can shift (370bhp, 0-60 approx 5.1secs). Plus the handling is pretty good for a big car. They are starting to get cheap now that the latest shape is out.

LS400s are designed for cruising not for blasting down back roads.

If you aint got the cash for the Jag, ditch the Lexus and keep the Senator.

Original LS400s had a gearbox which was slick but was hesitant to downshift, the Senator "feels" quicker because the gearbox is more aggressive in downshifting. I don't know if they have changed the downshifting nature of LS400s over the years?

Hi all,ive done tests where ive put the shifter into L or 2 so the cars down to the gear it would have kicked down to and approached my 1st marker(sign post) and then floored it and looked at the speed when ive got to another marker further down the road,and to my disgust the Senator is quicker everytime no matter what speeds i do the tests at.Ive driven both cars again today as i had the day off to get the Senator ready for its mot(new wheel bearing fitted).I wish i could just keep them both.The funny thing about both cars is that the gear ratios are the same changing out of 1st at around 50mph.Off the line from zero the 400 seems quicker getting going,more torque id say. :sleeping::rolleyes: Im thinking about the aristo TT,thinking of looking at one the weekend not to far away from me.Its a J reg and they want £5000 is that about the right money for one with 63,000 miles on? AGAIN still not sure after driving the car into town this afternoon and enjoying a steady drive there and back. :unsure:

It's not unrealistic that the Senator is quicker, it's a bit smaller and probably a few hundred kg's lighter, the LS400 has relatively low bhp and torque levels to ensure that the engine does very little work - thus making it smoother and quieter, thats why when you hear BMW's and Merc's they often sound a bit rough because they are tuned more for power than engineered for smoothness.

If you really like your senator, then keep that, how about something like a 3.2 Omega? There relatively quick, or if you can cope with something a bit smaller but that is still quick then how about a CarinaE GTi - there 170bhp and a dirt cheap now days but are very quick.

Hi they have the Omegas in the club im in and not many are happy with them,they say the old senators alot quicker and less trouble.I know the ls400 is in good shape,but i looked at the ls400 stats before buying it and on paper it was quicker than the senator or i would not have gone for the ls400. :blink: ive still got my head in the clouds and ive let my boss(hes a mate went to school with him many years ago)drive both cars cos hes fed up with me going on about it and now hes as unsure as me about which one i should keep.

Oh i meant to say im not really a bmw fan,i know i should be because of the drivers car bit,a friend of mine let me drive his M5 a K reg with about 340bhp i think and it did handle well and went well,just im not a bmw fan for some reason.

How are you getting on with your ls400 james,how long have you owned it? and what model is yours?

Well personally I don't own one, but my dad does, but we don't get it until Friday as he has only just bought it, but it's from a Lexus dealer MKIV with 135k on it.

However, my dad knew someone who he used to work for and he swears by them, he had a MKI and changed it after 320k and is currently on a MKIII with 290k on so that will probably get replaced soon, but he has owned them from new and had no problems.

I think the problem your finding yourself in is that you want a fast car, the LS400's were never designed for speed and an entertaining drive, which is why you can't get on with your LS400. Vauxhalls of old were quick because they used to be able to overfuel themselves when extra power was needed which is why you can usually beat official figures in the real world in them, but the LS series is a later design intended for stricter emisson controls which prohibited this method.

To be honest though, surely a car that does 0-60 in 8-9 seconds should be more than quick enough for anyone since there are millions of people pottering around in stuff that does in 14,15,16 seconds+ and manage fine, my car is an Avensis 2.0 Auto which does 0-60 in about 10.5 seconds which seems quick enough for most things.

All points taken on board James,to be honest i think i wont be happy until ive the series 4 ls400 which is the one i wanted all along,i was going to look at one this afternoon a "S" reg with 100,000 which is just down the road from me,its out of my price range or should i say loan range,but the cheaper ones are miles from me.I dont really want to get a £10,000 loan just to watch the car lose money every year,ive always been into buying them when there more value for money and for what i paid for the Ls400 its the best value for money car ive bought.My heads just so mixed up with what to do next with all the reason ive given above.

Mk1 LS400s are not very quick off the line as the power to weight ratio ain't that good. Unfortunately, their performance really shows above the legal limit, where the torque curve and the good aerodynamics (0.29 for the early ones I think) really make the car shift. Try it (on an autobahn or a private airstrip!), and you will see for yourself. It's pretty amazing to see the acceleration continue strongly even at speeds of 130ish.

You might want to get a old Vauxhall Nova GTE, heavily modified, and throw away the interior except for the drivers seat, and I'm sure the power to weight ratio would be high enough to storm your way to 60!

Everyone with MK4s say that the off the mark acceleration is quicker due to 5 speed gearbox and better engine.

If I were you , I would try another Ls400. Maybe yours is a bit sluggish?

I have to say that I have never had a problem with speed in mine, it's plenty quick enough.

It's definitely quicker, and quieter than any Senator that i've driven (I've owned 3 of them), although I would agree that the Senator handles a bit better around town.

Another member on the site had a similar problem with his LS, saying that it was slow and didn't match the limiter speed stated in the books(top end), but i have taken mine to the top and it got there quickly, once past the 100mph ,it just keeps on going........

Bigger rims make for better handling on the LS, and I am now contemplating stiffer shocks to see if they help.

Spend some money on your LS, it's a better option...honestly

Good luck

Stew :winky:

I didnt mean to come on the forum to put the Ls400 down,hope you can tell its won a piece of my heart in the sense that i dont really want to sell it,maybe mines abit sluggish or the Senator abit quicker than it should be :hohoho: Im just airing my findings and feelings and thankyou for all advice.Can anyone tell me what 18 inch alloy wheels will fit my Ls400 or the ARISTO im looking at the weekend,and what offset etc.Ive looked on websites that let you choose the car there for,when i phone them and speak to them about the wheels going on my car they are unsure.

This information should help you....

PCD=5x114.3

OFFSET=35-42

Centre Bore=60.0

There are plenty of wheels that will go on the LS400, it has the same offset as the Toyota Supra MK2

Check out my 18" Fox alloys (see my LS in the Garage Forum)

Good Luck

Stew :)

• 1 year later...

I got my LS400 for my dad as a grey import from japan, so I'm a fan of jap imports. If I was in your situation I would think about a 1996 or 1997 Toyota Chaser Tourer V or Mark II. You could get an auto imported for about 6500 pounds with 60000 miles. Performance is really amazing:

Maximum power: 206 kW @ 6,200 RPM

Torque: 376 Nm @ 2,400 RPM

0 to 100 km/h: 6.1 seconds

400m: 13.8 seconds

Weight: About 1,500 kg

Look at that torque figure. Have a look at them at this website: http://english.auto.vl(blocked word)/

They look much like what you would call a Camry, except better. If you sold both your cars you could get a manual, which are much more expensive, or a modified one, which have supercar performance, if 6.1 seconds isn't pretty much supercar already.

I got my LS400 for my dad as a grey import from japan, so I'm a fan of jap imports. If I was in your situation I would think about a 1996 or 1997 Toyota Chaser Tourer V or Mark II. You could get an auto imported for about 6500 pounds with 60000 miles. Performance is really amazing:

Maximum power: 206 kW @ 6,200 RPM

Torque: 376 Nm @ 2,400 RPM

0 to 100 km/h: 6.1 seconds

400m: 13.8 seconds

Weight: About 1,500 kg

Look at that torque figure. Have a look at them at this website: http://english.auto.vl(blocked word)/

They look much like what you would call a Camry, except better. If you sold both your cars you could get a manual, which are much more expensive, or a modified one, which have supercar performance, if 6.1 seconds isn't pretty much supercar already.

Hi,

Welcome to the LOC.

Thanks for link in your post :) A friend of mine bought a Chaser great Car,hoping he will take me for a drive in it soon...As to the LS400 i sold it and bought a mk1 Aristo TT auto..There 300 Bhp stock which mine is,just after market wheels on it...handles better than the LS but id still like better handling as theres to much body roll making it Understeer to much for my liking...Maybe some mods at a later date to sort the handling out..

Cheers chips..

Just out of interest ...earlier when the Jag XJR was mentioned as an alternative...I love the looks of most of the Jags and would love to own one...but try their forums and you will want at least one spare engine !....they seem to be very short lived and problematic...have a look :unsure:

unless you get the V8 engine.... but I agree. I looked at an S Type in BRG with CReam interior and Auto before I bought my Bimmer. I just knew it would not last the same... Not comparable to a Lexus... No sir!

have you seen the way the A post rot. find a 4 year old S type and look at the base of the A post on drivers door. Always rusty unless garaged all its life...

I bought my MK1 LS for very little and I've got to say the only things that i don't like about i are the wallowly feel from the back and the lack of,shall we say, atmospheric noise inside the car. My girlfriend has a 2.4 A4 on a manual box and the 0-60s are similar for both cars,but she says the Lexus feels slow. I think it comes down to the whole car rather than just the engine etc. The audi is a lot lighter and firmer,because thats what it was supposed to be. If I keep the LS then plans are to lower it a lot, particularly at the back and change the wheels to reduce the ballon tyre roll. They're still a big good looking beast. Just needs to roar a bit more...