Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yes on the same axle as long as they are the same size as with the 250 f sport with 225's on the front and 255's on the rear but not across if you get my point 🤔

On 3/24/2020 at 10:33 PM, bobmc said:

Yeah it is, but the 255/40 is not a popular size so it looks like I'll have to have different makes front/rear or change sizes 

I did not know until reading this that the front and back were different.

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 10:33 PM, bobmc said:

Yeah it is, but the 255/40 is not a popular size so it looks like I'll have to have different makes front/rear or change sizes 

Did you get your new tyres?

I was also going to fit Michelin CrossClimates - until I discovered they only did one of the sizes.

Frankly, not keen on mixing tyre makes. Often different compound mixes and tread patterns will give different handling characteristics.

Fortunately, Goodyear had just launched their Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 in both sizes.  Excellent reviews and test comparisons and, so far, excellent performance on my IS250. Wet handling at least as good as the CrossClimates on our 4x4; excellent dry road performance - and much quieter than the original tyres that came with the car.

I'd certainly recommend, for what that's worth!

On 6/8/2020 at 9:49 PM, markeyszoo said:

I did not know until reading this that the front and back were different.

I think you’ll find they’re different sizes for the 18” rims and the same size all round for the 17” rims.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:26 PM, scudney said:

So are you trying to say you can mix tyre sizes on the same axle  eg 225's and 255's on the front really(by the way it's an mot failure)??? 

Always confused me that the spare is a different size to either front or back(since they are different) and how that can be legal?

5 hours ago, markeyszoo said:

Always confused me that the spare is a different size to either front or back(since they are different) and how that can be legal?

There’s no legal requirement to carry a spare tyre.  Although it is an offence to put different sized tyres on the same axle, an exception is made for the emergency use of a Space Saver tyre.

The conditions of use require that it is restricted to a maximum of 50 mph and the journey with it is for the purpose of driving to a place of safety or repair.  So, not for going shopping then.

I think they’re generally considered to have a pretty limited range, too, as the tread is not very deep and wears quickly.  So around 70 miles I think.  Still, far better than a can of squirt tyre gloop - which is useless in the case of a tyre wall rip or a broken valve!

21 hours ago, LenT said:

I think you’ll find they’re different sizes for the 18” rims and the same size all round for the 17” rims.

I have 17" on mine and they are different sizes. I've just bought the car and might have to replace the two rear tyres soon enough. When I check the sizes in the booklet there's a few different options. Anyone know the definite tyre sizes for the 17's?

17 hours ago, IS250_IRL said:

I have 17" on mine and they are different sizes. I've just bought the car and might have to replace the two rear tyres soon enough. When I check the sizes in the booklet there's a few different options. Anyone know the definite tyre sizes for the 17's?

Yes, you're right.  I see that my original comment only seems to apply to my model year!  Earlier IS250s had a range of wheels and it was the16" that wore the same size all round.

The earliest manual I can find for the IS250 is for 2011 models and this gives the tyre sizes for 17" wheels as: Front - 225/45R 17 90W and Rear - 245/45R 17 95W.

(At the risk of stating the obvious, I take it that when you refer to a 'booklet' that is not the manual - which is over 600 pages!  And I also assume that the tyre information label on the driver's door frame has been removed or sprayed over.)

Anyway, I hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

Being new to this Forum (and having time on my hands, oddly! 🙄) I've been scanning IS250 threads ... as you do!

I had to have a little chuckle when reading this thread as my recent purchase failed it's MOT back in Feb for two reasons ...

(1) "Front tyre(s) of different sizes are fitted on the same axle (5.2.3(b))".

(2) "Rear tyre(s) of different sizes are fitted on the same axle (5.2.3(b))".

Mine are 17" with 245/45s on the rear and 225/45s on the front. So I guess that the previous owner, or his representative 🤔 , somehow got them mixed up ... doesn't really bear thinking about in my mind.

Incidentally the 18" recommendation seems to be 255/40 and 225/40 respectively if that's any help to anyone. 😉

Well personally I'm wondering how Bob got on with his tyre issue. Half a year has passed since he posted his issue. He must of got put off by the replies, most of which were (to me) rubbish. I've liked 2 posts and they were the only ones that made sense. 

It makes me laugh reading things about tyre choice. For the last 25 years (except for my last ford) I've o ly ever put part warn tyres on. Matching pairs.

My is250 has so called cheap tyres on but have no detrimental issues in handling either in wet or dry conditions. And believe me I push tyres.

If you're still here Bob how did you get on?

Still here 🙂

I ended up getting a second opinion on the rears, as said they were relatively new and low(ish) mileage but deemed to be 'cracked and perishing'. To me they looked fine and the tyre fitters agreed they were good for another year or two. I got a set of Maxxis' on the front as a punt really, and I've been quite impressed so I'll probably go for the same on the rear (they do the right size) when the time comes.

18 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

the replies, most of which were (to me) rubbish. I've liked 2 posts and they were the only ones that made sense. 

Tyre threads (no pun intended - that is the discussion and not the rubber itself) are always huge can of worms. Everyone have their opinions and favourite brands, identical tyre might work on one car and suck on another, different sizes of same tyre may be better or worse, tyre characteristics may change during lifetime, roads used, time of the year etc. Further there are different driving styles, different values and different needs.

In theory it is possible to discuss this topic purely objectively and with facts, but in my many years discussing it I have never seen such thread. One can come and post 3000 words essay with well researched facts and the next person comes and says "no - all that sucks, the best brand is X because I had good experience with it on my totally different car and different driving style when driving in Morocco and therefore your facts are rubbish"! 

My advice is to avoid such threads and the ones about premium vs standard fuel as well... or which engine oil to use... that one is very interesting as well! Surprisingly we kind of agreed on batteries in this forum - Bosch S4 068 is the best (now challenge me 🙂 )!

• Like 1

£74 all year long... quite decent price for what is ~6-10years investment (promise no more off-topic).

I just going to state that used or cheap tyres are always false economy, OEM (Brigestone) tyres on IS250 were quite bad and any decent tyres from Conti, Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear/Dunlop will always be worth price! Obviously, there are always exceptions, but generally anything outside of those main "premium" brands will be more often miss than hit.

Finally, the thing most people fails to consider - tyres are wear item meaning that the only costs which makes sense is £/mile - as such £150 Michelin may be work out cheaper than £65 other tyres, because it will do 40k miles (so £1 will take you 266miles), where cheap tyre will do 8k miles (which is £1 for 126 miles). Now the mileage will wary depending on use and there are special purposes where certain tyres will be better, but just looking at the "upfront" price is wrong perspective.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links