Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My IS250 failed it's MOT today! 😞

Quote: Windscreen Wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively

So after recovering from the shock (and sorting a new set of wiper blades - only the passenger side needed replacing which is why I hadn't really noticed) I got advisories on all tyres

This did shock me as they're all relatively new and decent makes

The fronts are both worn 'close to legal limit/worn on inner edge' - so fair enough I must have a tracking issue, shame as they've only done 16K miles

But also both rears damaged/cracking or perishing. They're NEXEN, 20K miles and 30 months old. 

So it looks like I'm needing a full set (and tracking)

I'd quite like to go for a full set of all-seasons on an 18in rim - any recommendations? 

Id prefer the same make all round but 255/40/R18 are very thin pickings so I may have to end up mix and match

My IS250 failed it's MOT today! [emoji20]
Quote: Windscreen Wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively
So after recovering from the shock (and sorting a new set of wiper blades - only the passenger side needed replacing which is why I hadn't really noticed) I got advisories on all tyres
This did shock me as they're all relatively new and decent makes
The fronts are both worn 'close to legal limit/worn on inner edge' - so fair enough I must have a tracking issue, shame as they've only done 16K miles
But also both rears damaged/cracking or perishing. They're NEXEN, 20K miles and 30 months old. 

So it looks like I'm needing a full set (and tracking)
I'd quite like to go for a full set of all-seasons on an 18in rim - any recommendations? 
Id prefer the same make all round but 255/40/R18 are very thin pickings so I may have to end up mix and match

Isn’t it 225/40 18 on the fronts and 255/40 18 on the rears.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, kellogsj said:

Isn’t it 225/40 18 on the fronts and 255/40 18 on the rears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it is, but the 255/40 is not a popular size so it looks like I'll have to have different makes front/rear or change sizes 

Yeah it is, but the 255/40 is not a popular size so it looks like I'll have to have different makes front/rear or change sizes 

I’ve got Goodyear asymmetric 2’s on the front and Michelin pilot sport on the rear. I’d stick with the tyres sizes which are meant to go on.

If you want all season tyres check out Good Year Vector 4 seasons Gen 2, cheaper than Michelin CC and in most situations are better. I have them on my GS, very very happy with them!

With tyres everyone seems to have their own preference and recommend their preference to others, however in my experience certain make of tyres seem to suit certain cars better than others.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the OEM - I wasn't the first owner. I've seen a variety of the major brands fitted to new Lexus cars so I don't think there's a brand preference.

Looks like the option of all-season tryes is out of the question, I can't find any brand that does a 255/40/R18 as an all-season option

I'm not sure about the OEM - I wasn't the first owner. I've seen a variety of the major brands fitted to new Lexus cars so I don't think there's a brand preference.
Looks like the option of all-season tryes is out of the question, I can't find any brand that does a 255/40/R18 as an all-season option

I’m sure on mine they where Bridgestone.

NEXEN is not a good brand.

Anyway, inner wear is normal I think on IS250. John here said once 'adjust tyre pressure by looking at the wear'. I also rotate tyres at every service. I have been using Bridgestone. 40k miles on each set I have pulled with even wear.

They cost a lot but been told by a person who works at tyre manufacturing company that there is a massive difference between cheap and expensive tyres.

Anyway, inner wear is normal I think on IS250. John here said once 'adjust tyre pressure by looking at the wear'. I also rotate tyres at every service. I have been using Bridgestone. 40k miles on each set I have pulled with even wear.
They cost a lot but been told by a person who works at tyre manufacturing company that there is a massive difference between cheap and expensive tyres.

Couldn’t agree more. I once put Landsail on the rears, and they were rubbish. Now I have Goodyear’s on the front and Michelin on the rear. It’s like chalk n cheese the difference.

On 3/26/2020 at 11:31 PM, jackcramerr said:

I agree there is a big difference between cheap, and expensive tyres, and that is in the amount of money you pay.
Why use the terms expensive, and then the more degrading cheap instead of inexpensive. There are many very good inexpensive tyres on the market, and some terrible expensive tyres. You do not always get better by paying more. Often the higher price is for profit, extra VAT, and advertising,

John.

• Like 1

I agree there is a big difference between cheap, and expensive tyres, and that is in the amount of money you pay.
Why use the terms expensive, and then the more degrading cheap instead of inexpensive. There are many very good inexpensive tyres on the market, and some terrible expensive tyres. You do not always get better by paying more. Often the higher price is for profit, extra VAT, and advertising,
John.

The Goodyear asymmetric 2’s I have on the front have done roughly 10k. They’ve hardly worn at all, and the grip in the wet is second to none. Can’t really comment on the Michelin pilot sports, performance in the wet, which I have on the rear as they’ve only been on a week. They’re definitely quieter though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 11:31 PM, jackcramerr said:

How do you rotate your tyres? Both front and rear are different sizes and tyres are directional so I don't think that's possible?

If the fronts are a different size from the rears(like my 250 f sport)then you can't rotate them,the only way round it is to have them all the same size 

On 4/24/2020 at 10:29 PM, Fishboy said:

How do you rotate your tyres? Both front and rear are different sizes and tyres are directional so I don't think that's possible?

I have 225 in front and 255 in rear. One are directional. So the osf goes to nsf. And ofr goes to nsr. 

On 4/25/2020 at 1:24 AM, scudney said:

If the fronts are a different size from the rears(like my 250 f sport)then you can't rotate them,the only way round it is to have them all the same size 

Read the manual. If it is non directional then it can be done. Does not have to be the same size. In fact Lexus recommends it to be done.

So are you trying to say you can mix tyre sizes on the same axle  eg 225's and 255's on the front really(by the way it's an mot failure)??? 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links