Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Here's hoping everyone manages to keep hold of their F car

As this pandemic takes hold it's looking like it is going to have a profound effect on both the small business owner and those employed by them in the future.

Having read through a few motoring forums it's already looking like quite a few owners are having to sell their pride and joy.

Many years ago I had a larger than expected tax bill and had no alternative other than to sell my pride and joy to pay it. As fate would have it I bought it back 10 years later.

DSC01291.jpg

I own mine so it's only running costs that affect me. People paying hundreds a month in PCP I guess will be quick to offload.

While I would be happy to sell it if required, I'd be reluctant to let it go for peanuts. I can still get enjoyment from revving it on the drive and polishing bird poo off.

If things get very tight I may have to sorn it just to be sensible. But other than the £48/month tax to sit on the drive it's only costing depreciation. Other costs only come from mileage and the annual service/mot bills which if sorned I could forget about.

As usual the corporate owned places will be buying up cheap assets to make a fortune when it's all over. I don't really want to let them do that with mine.

Call me old fashioned but I save up for things.

Package for the self employed being announced this week - finger crossed.

I bet no-one is making fun of "preppers" at the moment. 

Indeed, having lived through interest rates at 17% and managing to keep my house plus two pretty tough down turns I've learned to be a bit cautious. 

I've only recently sold my business and feel for anyone caught up in this. I really don't think things will recover for a very long time.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

Indeed, having lived through interest rates at 17% and managing to keep my house plus two pretty tough down turns I've learned to be a bit cautious. 

I've only recently sold my business and feel for anyone caught up in this. I really don't think things will recover for a very long time.

No - need to get used to the "new normal" and cut cloth accordingly.

13 minutes ago, Comedian said:

No - need to get used to the "new normal" and cut cloth accordingly.

And pay more taxes for around 10 years. Small price to pay though when people are dieing.

Its not often I dont recognise a car! Looks a little like the love child of a short wheelbase shogun and a rav4.

I'm considering SORN the F if weeks turn into months, only so many cars you need to not be driving.I was hoping to go for the occasional blast on deserted roads in it but not sure if thats a dream now and seems a little irresponsible if something was to happen and the emergency services were need as they have other priorities right now.

A business I had shares in sold in Jan, terrifying to think what it might have not been worth given another month.

I've asked for 3 months holiday on PCP payments as I cannot claim any over time during the lock down as I have no actual work... so base pay only (which I am thankful for), but I live from my huge overtime each month! The car has just been serviced and MOT'd, it will be SORN for the next few months as it is just due for tax renewal and insurance, with no guarantee of how quickly I can get back to earning overtime, it's the sensible thing to do, so I've been thrashing it about something terrible lately, 31st March being d-day!

That's a bummer, but at least you seem to have a plan in place. Puts my gripe into perspective, I went to buy my usual Toastie Wholemeal from Morrisons yesterday and there was a queue around the car park. My immediate thoughts were f**k this and drove off, I'm feeling a bit hungry now as I've no toast for my breakfast. I think I may have to have an attitude re-adjustment.

• Haha 1

I've spent this week in my house adhering to Government advice during this national emergency. I am heading to the local Sainsbury's later for a weekly shop (if there is anything left) and looking forward to beating on F during this essential trip. 7pm can't come soon enough!

I’m classed as a key worker so get to blast my F every day (neighbours not happy as I leave at 02:20 every morning) and kinda hard to keep it quiet on a cold start with Armytrix system 🤣🤣 Ma bad

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Silkmen said:

I've spent this week in my house adhering to Government advice during this national emergency. I am heading to the local Sainsbury's later for a weekly shop (if there is anything left) and looking forward to beating on F during this essential trip. 7pm can't come soon enough!

My wife had greater success than me when she went Sainsbury's but be warned the booze section is virtually empty at times. She managed to get two boxes of the Merlot thank God, after all one just can't have a Pizza without several glasses of red wine

• Like 1

Luckily I've got a few days left of supplies, but I'm climbing the walls and need to get out for my own sanity. I'm hoping it will be quiet and expecting minimal stock, anything more will be a bonus 👍

Why all the panic and worry? All the shops I have seen the last couple of days (getting supplies for those house bound) have been full of stock and you are able to buy just about everything (including Loo Roll). Plenty of drink available as well. Negative false stories caused and will cause panic buying again. Calm down!

• Like 1

It has most definitely been quieter in recent days in supermarkets, but it definitely depends on where you live, I can cross into 3 counties quite easily and some are far better stocked than others! Have a gym that I've slowly added to over the years in the garage, getting some f-ing good use coz holy shiz am I bored out my mind too, haha!

13 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Why all the panic and worry? All the shops I have seen the last couple of days (getting supplies for those house bound) have been full of stock and you are able to buy just about everything (including Loo Roll). Plenty of drink available as well. Negative false stories caused and will cause panic buying again. Calm down!

As someone else has stated it depends where you live, locally we have had empty shelves in the booze section (fact as I couldn't get any) so no negative false stories here!

4 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

As someone else has stated it depends where you live, locally we have had empty shelves in the booze section (fact as I couldn't get any) so no negative false stories here!

Because people in your area have been panic buying? Cause and effect.

When this is all over....people will remember.......they will remember the F drivers who spent their days discussing supermarket shopping 😆

What's happened to you?! 

4 minutes ago, Moleman said:

It may be different in different places, but shops are being restocked and if everyone is sensible it will be fine for all. Panic will not help anyone.

Other than your two boxes of merlot? What is your point?

8 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

Other than the two boxes of merlot!

15 minutes ago, Comedian said:

When this is all over....people will remember.......they will remember the F drivers who spent their days discussing supermarket shopping 😆

What's happened to you?! 

Self isolation syndrome?