Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mot extension

scudney

BUT the vehicle has to be totally roadworthy and you will get the usual reprimand by the police if it's not :yes:

I've just got my usual weekly  email from the DVLA advising

Malc

Both my cars will be having their mot's done as I usually have them done,one in April 3 weeks early and one in July a month early(have always had them done early)except Corona or the government ask garages to shut👍

BUT the vehicle has to be totally roadworthy and you will get the usual reprimand by the police if it's not 

That’s the same for a vehicle with an MOT full stop, regardless of this extension.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I have just spoken to a garage owner who tells me some people still having to bring cars for MOT as their insurance company will not cover them under the extension.

I have written to my insurer for clarification and suggest everyone does check their cover if they wish to use the extension.

Seems to be an awful grey area to fall into. I hope this helps someone out.

Please post back to see if it's true across the industry or maybe just 1 or 2 places.

It's one thing being open for business in the current climate and it's another being able to source spare parts if a car needs parts replacing as a result of a mot failure. A lot of spare part places are shut and its becoming increasingly difficult to source  parts.Furthermore places like F1(that have a bit of a iffy reputation at the best of times) are only staying open to exploit the current situation 

1 hour ago, scudney said:

are only staying open to exploit the current situation 

or maybe, just maybe, to provide an essential service to those Key Workers who need their cars functioning fully :unsure:

Malc

The extension is set out by law, those insurance company which claim not to cover this don't have a leg to stand on against the government. Ppl should not be worry at all. Mine is due end of may, will do it in November. 

PS: perhaps that garage owner is making it up to get business?

The garage owner was my customer and he wasn't too keen actually. Maybe customers are misunderstanding etc, I don't know. But I'm waiting for a response. Under insurance you are required to keep car roadworthy and mot doesn't absolve that responsibility.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Please see the response from Aviva.

The Aviva stance is that as long as the vehicles are maintained in a roadworthy condition, as is clearly stated in the Government guidance, then the policy cover would operate.Drivers must of course ensure the vehicle remains roadworthy.Where clear evidence at the point of claim exists that a vehicle is unroadworthy and that is the direct cause of the claim we reserve the right to withdraw contractual indemnity.Obviously if they then don’t MOT the vehicle before the extension expires the policy cover would be invalid when the extension expires.

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

Obviously if they then don’t MOT the vehicle before the extension expires the policy cover would be invalid when the extension expires.

insurers might usually insist a fresh MOT after an accident repair ??  ....  like Saga did with my door squidge and subsequent repair ..........  and fresh MOT 

Malc

2 hours ago, Malc said:

insurers might usually insist a fresh MOT after an accident repair ??  ....  like Saga did with my door squidge and subsequent repair ..........  and fresh MOT 

Malc

Interesting point, but surely if the repair was carried out by the insurers repairs and then it wasn't road worthy you'd have a great case against them admitting their own repairers were crap?

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

carried out by the insurers repairs

then that would  be the case .......  many repairs are carried out by others though, not recognised as the insurers panel,.................. as in my case

Malc

22 hours ago, Malc said:

then that would  be the case .......  many repairs are carried out by others though, not recognised as the insurers panel,.................. as in my case

Malc

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make regards to MOT after repairs? Do you mean if an accident happens during the extension then an MOT would be required?

If so then I agree it would be sensible to speak to one's own insurer at the time, but that's not really the immediate issue.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links