Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

YES   but the vehicle MUST be fully roadworthy otherwise the police will fine you as per not having a roadworthy vehicle

maybe take it off the road instantly and scrap it  ...............  slap you in irons and throw away the key .... us Lexus owners are all prone to that some of us running such ancient relics ( not necessarily the other 'alf )

Malc

Where possible I think we should try as much as possible to stay on the right side of the law.Booked my other car for its mot on the 6 of April and earlier on today got a message asking if I wanted to cancel that(in view of the 6 month extension)to which I said NO

Today was the first day I could have my MOT and retain the original date. It was a fantastic and legal excuse to drive the twistiest route I could find to Lexus Cheltenham which was still open for MOTs. Not sure if that will remain the case after today’s announcement. But a great opportunity to peruse the showroom with two LC500s and this immaculate late GSF that is being sold on behalf of a local very well known customer who no longer needs it in his collection!

794D6C12-0849-4AFE-B3BC-5757BFF7D8A3.jpeg

• Like 1

I got my IS300 MOTd at the local village garage last week and they still remain open but Lexus Derby shut down yesterday. I guess the local needs the business and the money. 

For no real reason other than my OCD I would maintain continuous MOT on my ISF, if safe and possible to do so, rather than it show a gap. 

14 hours ago, scudney said:

Where possible I think we should try as much as possible to stay on the right side of the law.Booked my other car for its mot on the 6 of April and earlier on today got a message asking if I wanted to cancel that(in view of the 6 month extension)to which I said NO

My GS is due 3rd April and the 9-3 4th April. I'm still getting the GS done at Lex-Tek because I think it's important to put a little bit into the local economy at times like this. An MOT fee and a bit of labour isn't going to keep anyone from going under but it helps.

I haven't used the Saab for a while and I can't see much top down motoring on the horizon so I'll probably leave that. With the new rules obviously quite legal.

• Like 2

Makes sense but..... imagine the MOT tester had had the virus for 5 days, no symptoms yet, he wipes his nose then get's in your car touching switches, steering wheel, gearstick.

Your car passes with flying colours and you get in, you pick up a virus on your finger. On the way home you subconsciously itch your nose, eye, corner of mouth.

And so on.

I have banned all customers from visiting me. Only doing some online stuff.

The business has access to a lot of govt financial support enough that your £50 won't make a difference. 

6 minutes ago, The Bodyman said:

I thought that's why they relaxed the rules to keep us at home. 

Exactly - but remember some people know better than the chief medical officer. </sarcasm>

18 hours ago, scudney said:

Where possible I think we should be trying not to leave the house and avoid contact with others. They have made an exception to the MOT so that you can stay on the right side of the law.

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Thank goodness there are people on car forums willing to judge without knowing me, my family or my personal/business circumstances </sarcasm>

👜

It wasn't aimed at you as such, it was a general comment on the state of affairs. You'll note my direct reply to you was nothing but polite.

Let the govt look after the economy, you can look after other people's safety by being responsible. 

Maybe you think it's less serious than me, fair enough. I wish you nothing but luck and hope nothing bad happens. 

I know that my indy mechanic who organises my MOTs with his friendly MOT station is suddenly having a very very challenging time

even though at sometime, heaven knows when, he might get the £10k Grant as a Business Rates payer

youngish ( by comparison to me ) young family and rented house

I sent him through the weekly email I receive from the DVLA the other day advising him of the new 6 month rule  .....................  he said thanks BUT I know going through in his mind was the likely immediate turndown in business, especially as most MOTs accompany the annual service ....... ( I guess )  just like mine !

I've been a loyal customer of his for over 12 years now and always with a Ls400 and one or two other cars, like now, being a multi car family, well me and my partner

I've even told him to let me know if there's anything I can do to help £££ if the going gets really tough ......  I know he'll almost 100% say NO

BUT I need him as much as he needs his customers .......  I have every faith in his skills and abilities and honesty ..........  I don't really want to just rely on " any of the other garages along the road "  to make sure my mind is at ease when having my cars looked after

Malc

• Like 1

Help is coming for him malc, I am in same position. It's not worth dying for an mot. Or killing someone else. My humble opinion. Other opinions are available.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just adding to this. I contacted Lexus as my annual service and MOT are due in late April and Lexus Hatfield who’ve had the car up til now is closed.  
I was particularly worried about the service (rather than the MOT), as this is timed to coincide with the Extended warranty expiring (by just over a month). So I asked what I should do, and they said that given the circumstances they would honour the warranty for the extended period. So I’m completely relaxed about the MOT and service - and will wait until everything’s safe before taking the car in. I’m well under the mileage limit between services - it will just be 18months at this interval rather than 12 and knowing that if anything major comes up it will be covered is really reassuring...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

Just adding to this. I contacted Lexus as my annual service and MOT are due in late April and Lexus Hatfield who’ve had the car up til now is closed.  
I was particularly worried about the service (rather than the MOT), as this is timed to coincide with the Extended warranty expiring (by just over a month). So I asked what I should do, and they said that given the circumstances they would honour the warranty for the extended period. So I’m completely relaxed about the MOT and service - and will wait until everything’s safe before taking the car in. I’m well under the mileage limit between services - it will just be 18months at this interval rather than 12 and knowing that if anything major comes up it will be covered is really reassuring...

I spoke to a guy about this too at Toyota UK - he said they would be "sympathetic" with warranty claims. My warranty expires same date as service due so I have a slightly different issue. Also covers road side recovery (not likely to break down but a bad puncture can cripple the car).