Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Day of boredom

So due to circumstances I've had my first day off today. By 10am boredom got the better of me. Therefore the is got its 6 month major clean 4 weeks early. 

Washed!, hoovered, windows cleaned, de-tar, polished, leather feed, tyres jellied, and the hybrid fan motor got a clean too. 

The wife being a nurse on the front line I done the curtisy thing of hers before mine! 

Volvo may get the same tomorrow if I don't start boredom boozing tonight. 

If I don't have work by Monday I'm gona be out of things to pollish🙄

Wishing all the best of health

IMG_20200328_152349.jpg

IMG_20200328_152410.jpg

IMG_20200328_152410.jpg

IMG_20200328_152446.jpg

IMG_20200328_152511.jpg

IMG_20200328_152439.jpg

• Like 5

Similar week but I've actually been at work. All the phone calls have been bad news and to keep my mind off the possible collapse of my business I've been cleaning the car. Washed, clayed, polished, the lot.

Next week I'm changing the gear box oil even though I said I never would!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Similar week but I've actually been at work. All the phone calls have been bad news and to keep my mind off the possible collapse of my business I've been cleaning the car. Washed, clayed, polished, the lot.

Next week I'm changing the gear box oil even though I said I never would!

Hope all works out. I'm self employed too and things are quiet. 

• Thanks 1

Didn't think anyone done that anymore. I replaced the water pump on ours a few months back and the wife's reply was "new machines are less than £200" 

Something satisfying about repairing things tho. 

• Like 1

it cost me £45 for the skf bearings , bearing oil seal , tub seal & a set of carbon brushes

against £350 / £400 for a replacement samsung it was worth the time spent.

i actually looked forward to repairing the machine even though i knew it would take 4hrs to complete

Best keep that old machine going cause machines now have the Tubs ultrasonically welded together and therefore no way ( really ) to remove inner drum to change the main bearing. Also the bearings on these newer machines are no where near as big as the 'older' machines bearings so the cynic in me says they are 'designed to fail' 

paul m.

15 hours ago, 200h said:

i have changed the bearings and oil seal in our washing machine

the only part left in the machine was the water pump...

Good stuff. I repaired our dishwasher a couple of weeks ago. That was one of the pumps. Local repair place said "12 years old? It's had its life. Get a new one" Not on your nellie.

Originally full of mucky water and a couple of false starts that meant I had to get the machine empty using a length of hose and a bucket... :yucky:

Wish I had the courage and knowledge to tackle our washing machine which sounds like it is shaking itself to death each time it spins.  Probably the drum supports and maybe an easy fix but beyond me.

4 hours ago, BigChange said:

Probably the drum

when our old machine finally died after many many years of use my friendly plumber took the old machine to use the drum for his BBQ .....  then disposed of the " body etc "

Malc

recycling in its many forms is good for the planet eh !:yes:

19 hours ago, BigChange said:

Wish I had the courage and knowledge to tackle our washing machine which sounds like it is shaking itself to death each time it spins.  Probably the drum supports and maybe an easy fix but beyond me.

Might just be the feet need adjusting. Make sure it's properly level and planted.

11 hours ago, Shada said:

Unfortunately these two were already clean. Other than the garage floor I've nothing else to polish🤔

IMG_20200329_210532.jpg

IMG_20200329_210558.jpg

Not sure. I think I spotted a stone stuck in the tyre tread on that Beetle.

On 3/28/2020 at 10:34 PM, Texas said:

Best keep that old machine going cause machines now have the Tubs ultrasonically welded together and therefore no way ( really ) to remove inner drum to change the main bearing. Also the bearings on these newer machines are no where near as big as the 'older' machines bearings so the cynic in me says they are 'designed to fail' 

paul m.

Absolutely true, I had a Hotpoint from Curry’s and wasn’t aware at the time it was a specific model made for them. 2 years later the bearings failed and low and behold a sealed drum and small crap bearings. 

Although I am still working I’m on call (utilities) so at home more than out  so last week replaced the waste disposal unit, cut the grass twice and replaced some cupboard handles.

On nights last week so not even allowed a beer until after 5.00 pm today.

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Absolutely true, I had a Hotpoint from Curry’s and wasn’t aware at the time it was a specific model made for them. 2 years later the bearings failed and low and behold a sealed drum and small crap bearings. 

Although I am still working I’m on call (utilities) so at home more than out  so last week replaced the waste disposal unit, cut the grass twice and replaced some cupboard handles.

I'm trying hard to stay off the beer! Finished work by 3pm today. So driveway and paving got power washed! Just the patio to do. Could have had that done today too but need to keep something for later in the week! 

On 3/30/2020 at 6:53 PM, steve2006 said:

We had a Hotpoint, the main bearing failed after 14 months. They're actually made by Creda/Ariston now, so they're Italian crap. We bought a Bosch to replace it, 9 years fault free so far. If you can afford it, buy a Meille, they're family owned and are actually, through pride, designed to last for 20 years.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 8:15 PM, 200h said:

i have changed the bearings and oil seal in our washing machine

the only part left in the machine was the water pump.

20200320_172302.jpg

20200320_172311.jpg

Just a tip, if you blanked the plate on your Lexus to stop nosy thieves figuring where you live, you've got a picture of another car here!

17 hours ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

If you can afford it, buy a Meille,

Miele always was a fantastic product, that's all we ever had indoors with my second ex-wife, she was German too ( I think Miele is German ) .... hahahahaha   we had money then !   as it was often about twice the price of every other brand ........  or so it seemed

her parents had a Miele washing machine still alive and working after 40 years too and that's why we bought Miele

I was reading some months ago that the Bosch products are made in Spain ............  not sure if it was all or just some though

Malc