Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help! Brake disc does not want to come out

DruLS

Hi guys, 

Had some free time today to put in a fresh set of discs and pads and I cannot for the life of me get this disc off. I've never before come across a disc that a quick whack with a hammer wouldn't solve, but this one isn't budging one bit. I've tried beating it, applying heat with a blow torch, lots of penetrating fluid. I even tried using the threaded holes on the discs to push it off. One just stripped the threads, the other broke part of the disc off but it's still stuck on there. Any ideas on the best way to take this off?

IMG_1773.thumb.jpg.c703c698cff3fc29c82b04f541954bd6.jpg

I can see you have been knocking the disc towards the centre of the car, but have you tried hitting it from the back outwards? Knocking the top hat section towards the centre of the hub may also help release it.
If you have tried knocking it outwards the only other alternative is to use a large 3 legged puller. You can hire one from your local tool hire shop "if they are open". If you use this method put at leased 2 wheel nuts on opposite studs loosely to stop it flying off, and hitting you.

John. 

I've hit it from the back also but it won't budge. Looks like I'll have to buy a puller as all the hire places are closed. Shame they all seem to be over £100.

8 hours ago, DruLS said:

I've hit it from the back also but it won't budge. Looks like I'll have to buy a puller as all the hire places are closed. Shame they all seem to be over £100.

Have you looked at my second post on this as this should work well?

John.

Crumbs Andy, you've been giving that disk some beating!

The disk appears to be slightly rotated and catching on the studs but even so, it shouldn't need too much 'persuasion' to release.

Is the bell broken around one of the alignment screws? - can you drive a chisel between the bell and the hub to pop it off?  

If you have an angle grinder, then try cutting slots or wedges out on either side of the hub, to help pry it free.

Good luck and let us know how you get on 🤞

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Have you looked at my second post on this as this should work well?

John.

I've ordered a brake disc puller but it wasn't cheap at over £100. I've ordered a much bigger hammer I'm going to try first so hopefully I won't need the puller and I can return it. 

19 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Is the bell broken around one of the alignment screws? - can you drive a chisel between the bell and the hub to pop it off?  

Tried that over and over. I've never known anything like it, I'm quite sore today!

• Like 1

I had same problem years ago on a Cavalier SRi and ended up using a 4 1/2" angle grinder and getting it off in pieces, from that day any disc I fit gets a smear of grease on the back after a good clean of the mating surfaces!

paul m

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas said:

I had same problem years ago on a Cavalier SRi and ended up using a 4 1/2" angle grinder and getting it off in pieces, from that day any disc I fit gets a smear of grease on the back after a good clean of the mating surfaces!

paul m

Any disc I fit gets a big helping of copper grease on the hub so this doesn't happen again. I've had my fair share of difficult disc removals but nothing like this. I don't have an angle grinder but I really hope it doesn't come to that. I've never used one and knowing my luck I'll end up removing a finger!

I've ordered this tool designed for brake disc removal, but it cost over £100 if you can believe that. 

1917275122_Screenshot2020-03-30at12_06_20.thumb.png.22102722ac7d845452dbc99691a68f1d.png

I'm hoping this is a last resort as I've also ordered a nice big sledge hammer. The picture on amazon filled me with confidence 😆

1354389463_Screenshot2020-03-30at12_06_57.thumb.png.6e1ea07df1cd3db6a04a6724d325abe2.png

Hopefully if that works I can return the disc puller tool. 

• Like 1