Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sorry I posted the below in a thread not befitting the subject.

Here it is

I've just received a Quotation for my Car Insurance renewal £450.00. Up quite a lot on last year and no claims.

Now, bearing mind I may not actually be able to use the Car more than a drive to the Supermarket once weekly (or less) for the next

six months or so, should premiums reflect the new low mileage expectation + lack of traffic risk,  in my renewal price?

Or, should I be tempted to not insure for six months - sorn the Car and take advantage of the three quarter million who will be delivering groceries to me? 

You'll still need to insure for fire & theft.  The vehicle will benefit from a run out, albeit only weekly.

I just had my renewal notice and I saved about £70pa by shopping around.  I'd be inclined to look for a lower premium and be happy that the car is getting a run out......maybe take a little detour to the supermarket, or use one further away.

I don’t think laying up for 6 months will cause harm and if you don’t need a car, or have access to another I would sorn it. If it is parked in a safe environment the risk is probably low regarding fire and theft, so you will have to judge whether it is necessary.

14 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I've just received a Quotation for my Car Insurance renewal £450.00. Up quite a lot on last year and no claims.

of course your premium is much higher, they've got to pay out more on lost holiday / coro virus claims, how on earth do you expect the insurers to survive without, as usual, screwing what they can out of everyone who is within their greedy grasp

This is simply par for the course with zero monitoring by anybody useful to ensure they aren't just taking the p - -ss 😲

Malc

• Like 1

However I do think it is a competitive market place, so shop around. I noticed a step change with LV at my renewal, who I have been with for 18 years, with a great quote and no bartering...which had become a ritual. On the other hand if you are not loyal to them, what would you do, so a double edged sword. I work on the principle that you can always buy cheaper , but not necessarily better, and I am always extremely careful with these comparison sites to ensure you are comparing like for like. I prefer the peace of mind of knowing I am covered, which you will only know about when you claim, even if it means paying a bit more. The last thing I would want to see is regulation, as from my experience the market works extremely well. There are exceptions as in any walk of life, but I would not vilify all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RgrWynne said:

However I do think it is a competitive market place, so shop around. I noticed a step change with LV at my renewal, who I have been with for 18 years, with a great quote and no bartering...which had become a ritual. On the other hand if you are not loyal to them, what would you do, so a double edged sword. I work on the principle that you can always buy cheaper , but not necessarily better, and I am always extremely careful with these comparison sites to ensure you are comparing like for like. I prefer the peace of mind of knowing I am covered, which you will only know about when you claim, even if it means paying a bit more. The last thing I would want to see is regulation, as from my experience the market works extremely well. There are exceptions as in any walk of life, but I would not vilify all.

I too have been with LV which has given great customer service particularly when I have needed to add co-drivers for my regular trips to/from Spain.

Annual renewals have either been lower than the previous year or of such marginal increase that to seek to look elsewhere was rendered unnecessary.

I am not looking forward to my next renewal however as I have picked up my first speeding ticket and that will no doubt have financial consequences. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I too have been with LV which has given great customer service particularly when I have needed to add co-drivers for my regular trips to/from Spain.

Annual renewals have either been lower than the previous year or of such marginal increase that to seek to look elsewhere was rendered unnecessary.

I am not looking forward to my next renewal however as I have picked up my first speeding ticket and that will no doubt have financial consequences. 

Oh dear John, naughty 🤓 The speeding conviction probably will have a disproportionate financial effect.....could you not go on a speed awareness course or does that not change things ? Roger

I think for cars of this age and value, do what I would do invest in a Stoplock Pro to stop little bastards having a go and handing the car on a plate, if you are off road and can leave the car not butting up too close to your property or others to mimise colateral fire damge if the worst happens, SORN it and if funds are tight stop the insurance.

Fire her up once a week to get the temp up and the fans to work, and if you can trundle her on the drive and get the brakes working.

49 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

Oh dear John, naughty 🤓 The speeding conviction probably will have a disproportionate financial effect.....could you not go on a speed awareness course or does that not change things ? Roger

First in 50 years ROGER.I was mortified.My fault entirely but I do blame the GS450h and the scoundrel who had parked his camera van just in front of the National Speed Limit sign as I was leaving the town of Glenrothes in Fife Scotland en-route to Luchars by St Andrews.

I was leaving the town at the end of a 40mph limit and accelerated to Warp speed when I noticed the dreaded camera van.So caught doing 54mph which sadly prevented me from being invited to the Speed Awareness Course.

I have 2 cars and am a named driver on Mrs Roy`s Mazda2, so I expect to become impecunious in due course.

The good news is that if I maintain my current record of once every 50 years, I will be 123 by the time I cross the next barrier.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, as they say.

Take care and keep well.

Unlikely to need theft cover as an old Car and nobody allowed out. Fire risk is negligable,  unless I do something stupid which is always possible if I mess around with fitting a Reversing Camera.

Does that count as a "modification" needing insurance approval?

So my mileage could work out at 78 miles in six months.

I can reverse and forward the Car in the drive to keep the brake discs clean and use a Battery charger as needs require.

Fact is, of course, the pleasure of driving even a short distance will be lost at this time of low morale.  Any need arising for a Hospital visit may prove extremely difficult to arrange. 

LV via Chris Knott was charging me similar until two years ago when i decided not to stay loyal.   

Yes Malc you are no doubt right.  Glad I'm not a Name!

• Like 2

Do not be too sure Hoodlams will not be out and about,  do you think the Feckless Crimmy crap in this country will sit at home watching Mamamia !

14 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

First in 50 years ROGER.I was mortified.My fault entirely but I do blame the GS450h and the scoundrel who had parked his camera van just in front of the National Speed Limit sign as I was leaving the town of Glenrothes in Fife Scotland en-route to Luchars by St Andrews.

I was leaving the town at the end of a 40mph limit and accelerated to Warp speed when I noticed the dreaded camera van.So caught doing 54mph which sadly prevented me from being invited to the Speed Awareness Course.

I have 2 cars and am a named driver on Mrs Roy`s Mazda2, so I expect to become impecunious in due course.

The good news is that if I maintain my current record of once every 50 years, I will be 123 by the time I cross the next barrier.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, as they say.

Take care and keep well.

Hi John, I feel for you with a record like that, and the way the Police have behaved to catch you. I have had 3 speeding convictions over the years , all clear now, but one was in Scotland on the A74 and two in North Wales. Both these Forces are known to target motorists, I believe as more of a money grab, than anything else. I am these days happy to wallow about in my LS430 at the speed limit and let the world go by🤓.

Interestingly, during our recent holiday in Australia, during which I drove about 2000 miles, over an 8 week period, everybody drives at the speed limit. I knew from a previous visit in 1997 just how unforgiving the Police are, but I’m afraid to admit it has affected the way people behave, with no high powered idiots thinking they own the road. However the thought of being caught is at the forefront of your mind when driving, and when approaching roadworks or safety imposed restrictions everybody behaves, which is good.

I do remember my first conviction which really p***ed me off for ages afterwards, but “don’t let the bu**ers get you down” and enjoy your enforced stay in the motherland, keep well,  Roger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wisemonkey said:

Do not be too sure Hoodlams will not be out and about,  do you think the Feckless Crimmy crap in this country will sit at home watching Mamamia !

This is a one time opportunity the Police have of catching the neardowells!  pity they;ll only get a slap on the wrist and told to be good boys in future/. Bring back the Lash - Priti

• Like 2

many many years ago driving in France I wondered why some idiot in a little French car was ambling along well below the speed limit .....  so, I overtake safely and WHAM, yes, my overtaking speed did it for me ....  instant 90 euros fine I believe but no record anywhere at all...  but i did get the receipt for the cash paid, to make sure it didn't go into their tea fund !

Malc

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

..could you not go on a speed awareness course or does that not change things ? Roger

The choice of attendance at a speed workshop is not always offered ( for various reasons ) and even if you chose the workshop over the 3 points on your license then some insurance companies actually ask in the renewal notice 'have you attended a speed awareness / workshop in the last 12 months" 😡

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Texas said:

The choice of attendance at a speed workshop is not always offered ( for various reasons ) and even if you chose the workshop over the 3 points on your license then some insurance companies actually ask in the renewal notice 'have you attended a speed awareness / workshop in the last 12 months" 😡

Any idea which Insurance Compnies do ask such questions Paul?

I've just insured my 1996 LS400 through Adrian Flux with an insurer called Markerstudy. The premium was £196.60 for comprehensive cover and an annual mileage of 3,000. It is a net rated policy, which means there is no No claim Discount to worry about. The policy is based on market value, but for an extra £15 I can get Agreed Value cover.

They were not worried about me having the alarm/immobiliser disabled or fitting tyres that are not W rated, as specified by Lexus.

I am 72 and live in Buckinghamshire, but as all quotes are individual, it might be worth getting in touch with them on 0344 381 6502.

Another company I have found competitive in the past is Classicline Insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howplum said:

Markerstudy

I used these a few years ago too

BUT, they got miffed when I had to have a new windscreen and said they would likely refuse to pay the cost of the retaining exterior side-down strips if they had not been reusable, as is often the case when removing an old screen ..  fortunately they were ok at that time

something to bear in mind with these guys if ever you had a busted windscreen ..........  I think they are not that profitable a business maybe

Malc

It is a Chesterfield based company in the Autowindscreens group, ironic if you read Malc's missive above. Seem ok when all is Dandy but when the **** hits the fan for example you have a prang they are KAK.

I'm also with LV and so is my wife's Jazz. Use to be Saga which were fine for years, always bettered a competitor quote by £1 but they stopped offering me that and their premiums started to rise a lot. No claims and no speeding tickets so no real reason for premiums to rise above inflation. I agree with Roger, I also noticed a step change with LV at my last two renewals as I always go on the comparison sites, find a competitive quote from a known company and if it's cheaper than the LV quote use that as a bargaining tool or I often found a quote from LV on the comparison sites at a far lower price for as exactly the same cover, but they have changed their tack and don't appear to be offering lower prices on the web than the renewal price which I find quite refreshing.

• Like 1

The money grubbing :censored: are just trying it on.Shop around.
My recent renewal was a 35% hike on the previous year for no reason.
I shopped around and ended up with a 10% saving over the previous year.

My previous insurer asked me why I'd moved. I told them that I disliked their business model and that loyalty was a 2 way street.

• Like 4

Always shop around I kept using Churchill for seven years and the premium hardly moved but when I moved house they doubled the premium for the final months of the policy.

When I renewed with another company that came in cheaper than the previous year without the hike,I change every year now because they give you a cheap introductory quote and hike it the following year.

Another benefit is the AA or Green flag cover which again is low intro cost but get out before they renew because it goes up to full price.