Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quick brake question for MK1 Gs

maveric

After doing what should've been a straight forward brake job, one of the caliper slide pins snapped off inside the bracket. Does anyone know what the differences are between the mk1 and 2 or even more simple, will the mk2 bracket fit?

I don't have an answer other than I'm sure the pins will be the same and fairly standard. Carriers could be different though but a part number search on line will give you the answer although may take a bit of digging about.

Is the old bracket written off...don't tell me it's sod's law and you can drill or get the old bit out...😪

The big beef is most places are closed at the moment but...you can order stuff on line. Worse case order from the US to get the part you want.

I'm only ordering in-extremise at the moment i.e. I've stopped. If it's your only mode of transport etc etc I'm sure you'll make the right decision. 

7 hours ago, Tinonline said:

I don't have an answer other than I'm sure the pins will be the same and fairly standard. Carriers could be different though but a part number search on line will give you the answer although may take a bit of digging about.

Is the old bracket written off...don't tell me it's sod's law and you can drill or get the old bit out...😪

The big beef is most places are closed at the moment but...you can order stuff on line. Worse case order from the US to get the part you want.

I'm only ordering in-extremise at the moment i.e. I've stopped. If it's your only mode of transport etc etc I'm sure you'll make the right decision. 

The bracket is fine but seeing at the pin is snapped and seized inside it may as well be redundant. Think I'll have to take a trip to breakers yard when all is normal again.

7 hours ago, Tinonline said:

Apart from a replacement carrier bracket the only other way of extracting the broken pin is to drill a hole in the blind end, enlarge it, pour in the WD40 and then use a hammer and punch to push the stuck slide pin out. You would still need a new slide pin of course but I have a decent used one I can post to you.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:32 PM, Mt1 said:

Hi if you look on eBay there are a couple of brake callipers for sale not dear either

mk1 Lexus GS calliper

Oh really? Thanks, I'll have a proper look on there. When I last looked I only saw ones from the USA which wouldn't be worth it once postage is paid. 

On 4/3/2020 at 10:01 AM, steve2006 said:

Apart from a replacement carrier bracket the only other way of extracting the broken pin is to drill a hole in the blind end, enlarge it, pour in the WD40 and then use a hammer and punch to push the stuck slide pin out. You would still need a new slide pin of course but I have a decent used one I can post to you.

Thanks!! My breakers yard has a few mk2 shape gs's so to save faffing about drilling which I don't even have, I'm going to take a trip there and hope they're the same part.

• 3 months later...

febest do alot of GS and Aristo parts for brakes and sus. Brake calipers are the same if I recall correctly unless you popped supra ones on same as me. I also believe mk5 Golfs use the same caliper on the front from a side by side exam

Part numbers are different between mk1 and mk2 GS's

Mk1

47721 MOUNTING, FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER, RH
47721-30132 (02/1994 - 07/1995) 1 € 122.18
47721-30180 (08/1995 - 07/1997) 1 € 138.41
47722 MOUNTING, FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER, LH
47722-30052 (02/1994 - 07/1995) 1 € 122.18
47722-30100 (08/1995 - 07/1997) 1 € 138.41

Mk2

47721 MOUNTING, FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER, RH
47721-30220   1 € 182.64
47722 MOUNTING, FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER, LH
47722-30120   1 € 182.64

Sub and main slide pins are common for late mk1 and mk2, looks like some variations on early mk1's 93-95.

Although cross referencing the 95-97 mk1 part numbers shows them as also available on the mk2. Weird. So there can't be much difference. I can only assume the later ones, using the common pins, are compatible.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links