Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Powered Tyre Inflator

JeffL

Does anyone on here use a powered tyre inflator? Just looking for some recommendations. Plenty on amazon with reviews but would prefer reviews from the Lexus forum. As we're getting older it would be easier than a foot pump. Although I don't mind the exercise myself, I'm really thinking of my wife should I not be available for whatever reason. Looking for something that gives a reading of the pressure rather than having to use a separate tyre pressure gauge to check. Maybe one where you set the pressure desired and it stops when that is reached.

I use and recommend the Heyner "Digimatic Portable 12V Compressor" from www.heynershop.co.uk.  It's a quality German product.  I paid £35.  Far superior to my previous Ring compressor which broke, was replaced, then the replacement broke.

I've just checked the Heynershop website and it seems that particular model is not available, but I can vouch for the quality of Heyner products.

• Thanks 1

Hi, I have been using a Ring mains powered tyre inflator for years.  Purchased from amazon about 5 or 6 years ago.  Has a small circular pressure guage on the front.  Sorry I've just looked for a model number, can't  see one.  It's rated at 175W and  works quickly...Mark.

• Like 1

I also have an Aldi compressor and it's brilliant for all sorts of things around the garage and house.

Sadly, you have to wait until these things come round in the stores but a quick look on eBay brought up this one which is very similar.

This one isn't quite as powerful but is free delivery and free toolkit as well.

I initially got mine for blowing out computers that came in for repair; some of them can be quite nasty as you can see below (although these photos are from somewhere else, not me, as I've never had anything quite so bad):

dirty1.thumb.png.34f3a3dec5b220d8aeb51bccd2b851d7.png

dirty2.thumb.png.8e30c9f3cde5e67dbf0af1e903066847.png

dirty3.png.b6cbdb04398225a6197810885ab1308d.png

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 10:03 AM, PCM said:

Piers, thank you. I have that one on my watchlist on amazon. Good to know you recommend it. The amazon reviews are excellent. Definitely considering this one.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 10:54 AM, LexIS200Sport said:

Further to @JeffL's question (hope you don't mind, Jeff 🙂), could anyone also recommend a tyre inflator that plugs into a 240V outlet?

Ganesh. No problem, be interesting to see what gets recommended.😀

On 4/1/2020 at 1:03 AM, Garth-1 said:

I use and recommend the Heyner "Digimatic Portable 12V Compressor" from www.heynershop.co.uk.  It's a quality German product.  I paid £35.  Far superior to my previous Ring compressor which broke, was replaced, then the replacement broke.

I've just checked the Heynershop website and it seems that particular model is not available, but I can vouch for the quality of Heyner products.

Garth. I quite fancy this one too, pity that exact one is discontinued.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:09 AM, MNP said:

Hi, I have been using a Ring mains powered tyre inflator for years.  Purchased from Amazon about 5 or 6 years ago.  Has a small circular pressure guage on the front.  Sorry I've just looked for a model number, can't  see one.  It's rated at 175W and  works quickly...Mark.

Mark, yes they've got the Ring ones on amazon and also recommended (I think) on honestjohn.co.uk.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:09 AM, stox said:

I got a cheap Aldi compressor. Does the job and seems to have worn fairly well.

David, yes Aldi and Lidl do have some good stuff, you just have to be there at the right time, will bear in  mind.

Further to @JeffL's question (hope you don't mind, Jeff 🙂), could anyone also recommend a tyre inflator that plugs into a 240V outlet?

You can get aVoltage Converter 240v to DC 12v. I've got this one on my watchlist with two others but this one has the better reviews.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019H2EQWY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A3993T6ETSKJ8R&psc=1

Can anyone on here on recommend one? Thanks.

On 4/1/2020 at 1:03 AM, Garth-1 said:

Hi Garth

I've had a look at the Heyner website and all the current models appear to be analogue display. Is your one digital display? Just wondered as the description you gave is Digimatic. I've emailed them to ask which one from their current range is the equivalent one to yours.

Ganesh, might this be of interest? It appears that you don't have to plug it into the cig lighter on your car (although that option is available). It's a Battery power pack with compressor. Rechargeable at the mains. I'm thinking this might be a good buy on the basis that the cost of a compressor plus the cost of a converter would cost as much. Anyone else on here got a view? 

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/jump-start-910-cw-12v-compressor/

• Thanks 1

I have a very compact RAC inflator, from I think Halfords. Neat, small and efficient and does the job, plugs into cigar lighter socket. These items have scaled down in size significantly over the last few years... I also have an independent one linked to a booster Battery  with its own supply, as above, but It is bulky and heavy, and I find myself using the RAC for convenience.

• Thanks 1

There are plenty out there that will do a fine job - I have used Ring ones for many years - however the gauges on most electric pumps (and foot pumps) tend be rather inaccurate and so it's worth investing in a good standalone pressure gauge to check the pressure after inflating - once you know the delta then you can usually set the cutoff on the electric one at a pressure that you know is correct (regardless of what it actually reads).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Jeff

I use the Michelin Programmable High Power Tyre inflator.  It was bought from Halfords and I’m pretty sure you can still get them for around 50+ quid.  I’ve had mine for about 3 or 4 years now, still going strong.  You can set the pressure you want in bar or psi and it switches itself off once required pressure is reached.  It comes with various fittings and adaptors for household/hobby/camping use, it also has USB sockets for plugging in phone/iPod charging cables, it also has a light which is nice and bright for pumping your tyres up in the dark (yes, I speak from personal experience)!!  It all stows away in a drawstring bag that sits easily in the spare wheel well.  Unfortunately for Ganesh, this one only plugs into the ciggie lighter/power socket in your car.

Good luck finding one you like 😁

Stay safe & well

Si

• 3 weeks later...

I used  a basic ring one i think it was the other day , stopped half way through and so i thought the plug may have popped out of the cigarette lighter socket only to find out that there was smoke coming out of it and the the plug has started to melt !! and now the 12v port is no longer working 

going to have to take the whole thing apart to see what it looks like underneath ! 

Fuses seem okay but may have to check with a meter or something just to be sure