Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2019 RCF 1/4 mile vs usual suspects

19 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Reading around, this test is a complete mess. The W204 isn't stock and the M car had a remap.

I take it you mean the M4 😂

I've always fancied a M156 powered car, but don't fancy the potential bills associated with the inherent design issues.

BMW M cars just don't do anything for me at all.

Lexus reliability won the day, plus I really like the design, especially the seats. Still love the quicksilver.

44 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

I take it you mean the M4 😂

I've always fancied a M156 powered car, but don't fancy the potential bills associated with the inherent design issues.

BMW M cars just don't do anything for me at all.

Lexus reliability won the day, plus I really like the design, especially the seats. Still love the quicksilver.

I had the M156 in my SL63, it was a lovely sounding engine and of course the N/A loved to be revved and was it's trump card. As you say there were problems with the head-bolts which they sorted after 2010. Although my car was pre 2010 I had no headbolt issue although some people had hydro-locked wrecked engines due to bolt failure. I understand the valve gear was also subject to an issue as well.

6 hours ago, B1RMA said:

I had the M156 in my SL63, it was a lovely sounding engine and of course the N/A loved to be revved and was it's trump card. As you say there were problems with the head-bolts which they sorted after 2010. Although my car was pre 2010 I had no headbolt issue although some people had hydro-locked wrecked engines due to bolt failure. I understand the valve gear was also subject to an issue as well.

Yeah they sorted the bolt issue around 2010 / 11.

I believe there is an issue with the camshaft lifters, the metal simply erodes away and there is no fix. Only way to tell is to take the head off. Can't remember if this is to do with oil starvation at the top of the engine or inferior metal being used on the lifters.

Also given the fact it is a 6.2 in a c class, means every job is that bit more difficult due to lack of space.

I would have still potentially got one, but the fuel tank is simply not big enough for my needs.

11 hours ago, V8ORBUST said:

Yeah they sorted the bolt issue around 2010 / 11.

I believe there is an issue with the camshaft lifters, the metal simply erodes away and there is no fix. Only way to tell is to take the head off. Can't remember if this is to do with oil starvation at the top of the engine or inferior metal being used on the lifters.

Also given the fact it is a 6.2 in a c class, means every job is that bit more difficult due to lack of space.

I would have still potentially got one, but the fuel tank is simply not big enough for my needs.

That's right it was camshaft lifter but they sorted it out on the engine that went into the SLS which was basically the same engine. I missed a great opportunity to buy an SLS when they were £80K, I'll always kick myself for not buying it but I thought they might have gone even lower what a plonker one can be at times eh.

9 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

That's right it was camshaft lifter but they sorted it out on the engine that went into the SLS which was basically the same engine. I missed a great opportunity to buy an SLS when they were £80K, I'll always kick myself for not buying it but I thought they might have gone even lower what a plonker one can be at times eh.

I remember the manager at Mercedes Blackpool telling me they were doing some stonking deals on the SLS.

What a car that is.

Not so many years ago you could pick up a gen 1 NSX for circa 30k, now look at their prices!

39 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

I remember the manager at Mercedes Blackpool telling me they were doing some stonking deals on the SLS.

What a car that is.

Not so many years ago you could pick up a gen 1 NSX for circa 30k, now look at their prices!

There were some really good secondhand bargains to be had, like I say SLS's went down to £80-100K these cars were just a couple of years old too. I did try the NSX but bought a late Lotus V8 Esprit instead because it felt a lot faster. Inside the NSX reminded me of my girlfriend's later wife's Prelude inside. Plus I just didn't like the sound of the engine in the NSX having said that the Lotus had a flat plane crank so sounded a bit crap too. It was obviously a big mistake because the Lotus fell to bits and cost a fortune to keep up together whereas the NSX was made and built by fanatics not a load of blokes from Norfolk ing good.

On 4/2/2020 at 3:43 PM, Flytvr said:

Reading around, this test is a complete mess. The W204 isn't stock and the M car had a remap.

Wanna race? 😂

Not from a rolling start either - we're not American 🤭

M4 is quick but that was silly. I had assumed it had a gear ratio advantage at those speeds - all cars have an ideal rolling launch point and it may or may not be at 50 in 3rd.

The point of the rolling start in comfort mode was lost on me. 

CarWow is modern top trumps for school boys anyway. Unless the RCF had won..... then I'd be saying it was a brilliant test 🤣

2 hours ago, Comedian said:

Wanna race? 😂

Not from a rolling start either - we're not American 🤭

M4 is quick but that was silly. I had assumed it had a gear ratio advantage at those speeds - all cars have an ideal rolling launch point and it may or may not be at 50 in 3rd.

The point of the rolling start in comfort mode was lost on me. 

CarWow is modern top trumps for school boys anyway. Unless the RCF had won..... then I'd be saying it was a brilliant test 🤣

Each car should be allowed to be in its optimum gear - that would be fair 

For me, I’m more and more in favour of a car being less fast and more enjoyable. As you know that was one of the reasons for leaving the F.  I felt I had to spank an F car to get enjoyment out of it and third gear just egged me into fourth (if you know what I mean)