Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does anyone know if it's possible to pop off the centre caps of wheels without removing the wheels? Tried a small screwdriver but looks easy to scratch the wheel lacqeur. Is there a knack? Clearly bored to tears...

Thanks Ray, problem is the supplied  jack barely lifts the wheel off the gound. Project for another day. Did however spot a possible soultion using strong tape you put over the existing cap, let it bind to the cap and after ten minutes pull it back quickly and hopefully it takes the cap off with it? 

I need to get a life....

I am a little concerned by your comment that the supplied jack barely lifts car wheel off the ground because wheel might have to be replaced with spare in event of puncture. I have not yet had to do this and at home on the Lexus but have generally used trolley jacks and axle stands.  However, with other cars where I have needed to remove a wheel I have sometimes used a thick piece of wood just over an inch thick to place under the supplied jack.  I will put this in a plastic bag and keep it in the boot to provide that extra bit of lift in view of what you say.  This will be added to a 'kneeler' mat, some hand cleaner and a roll of paper towel,  an appropriate socket and 'T' piece on short extension, plus short piece of tube to provide extra leverage.  There is also a torque wrench to ensure wheel nuts are tightened to Lexus specification and gradually tightening diagonally as far as possible rather than done in a circular pattern.  I also have a foldable wheel stop which came with a Camry I had some years ago.

You might at least consider the wooden block. 

PS.  I also forgot a portable light kept in the car for use in an emergency.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

You might to at least consider the wooden block.  

and maybe call the RAC / AA or whomsoever you're with to change a flat tyre !

Malc

Yup, even at full height the wheel isn't easy to remove. A block of wood is a good idea to give you some extra purchase. I suppose long travel suspension doesn't help on big 4 x 4s.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links