Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any battery trickle charger recommendations

I have an 04 plate LS430 and due to the lockdown I only use my car 2/3 times a week - even that is for short journeys.

I have already noticed the sluggish starter motor on start up

Is there any recommendations for a decent solar trickle charger?

I could remove and charge the Battery but given that we are in this situation for a long term I might aswell invest in one of these and hopefully fit and forget.

My Battery is about 3 years old (Exide)

This might sound a bit strange...I think we are getting warm(er) weather on Sunday. You might get a better response as the cold goes away.

My car is in similar straights and does short haul shopping run. I haven’t had to charge the Battery yet...the engine doesn’t even get fully warmed up.

Giving it a mini service this weekend.

thanks for the replies guy

Les: Just done a brief search on Ctek and although more expensive compared to trickle chargers, it does sound like a decent bit of kit.

Simon: Mine is also used locally and i've never had Battery problems before when its used daily - I will hold out for a few days and see how things pan out

1 hour ago, Tinonline said:

and does short haul shopping run

one of my short haul supermarket runs can extend to about a half mile at 50mph which i can do flatout now with so few cars around and the other extends to a mile or so at 70mph and likewise, flatout .....  both about a 2 to 3 mile run in all

I think I'm so lucky to have this opportunity in these challenging times .....  and of course that's both ways too :thumbsup:

Malc

Plus one on the Ctek - I used one on my old Jaguar XJ for years and it never let me down. Stupid me sold it with the car and of course went out the other day to start mine after sitting there for nearly a week and it was not having it 🙄 So ctek ordered and I'll plug it in and let it do its job. Was surprised at the Battery not lasting that long but when I think about it my S class did the same but only after 3 days sitting - one thing though, I had to buy mine through eBay as amazon wont "send batteries in the post to northern Ireland" erm.. right.... 

38 minutes ago, BMCWP said:

Plus one on the Ctek - I used one on my old Jaguar XJ for years and it never let me down. Stupid me sold it with the car and of course went out the other day to start mine after sitting there for nearly a week and it was not having it 🙄 So ctek ordered and I'll plug it in and let it do its job. Was surprised at the battery not lasting that long but when I think about it my S class did the same but only after 3 days sitting - one thing though, I had to buy mine through ebay as Amazon wont "send batteries in the post to northern Ireland" erm.. right.... 

Hi Brian

Can you tell me which one you ordered

and the way I understand it - it fits to the Battery and sits next to it?

I'm in a similar position to you, Mark.

In fact - I went out to the car today and it wouldn't start (flat battery)

A couple of years ago I bought a NOCO Boost HD GB70 (ostensibly for my Merc S500), the NOCO has held its charge for 2 years, (will effortlessly cope with starting an 8 ltr petrol engine) and started the RX450 without a hiccup this morning .

And a well made unit too

I bought it at amazon - although other retailers are available of course https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=NOCO+Boost+HD+GB70&i=automotive&ref=nb_sb_noss

Edited by Illogan
Added link

Ctek.  Never let me down ehen I owned ls430.

now with RX 450 no need. I have owned it for just over a year. Its way too big but a delight to own. I am getting on...so will be selling it when the C-19 is beaten....

On 4/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, cruisermark said:

Hi Brian

Can you tell me which one you ordered

and the way I understand it - it fits to the battery and sits next to it?

The MXS5 model - same as the one I had for my XJ 

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

So guys am I right in saying that with the Ctek I connect it upto the battery via the eyelet connectors and then it just sits next to the battery in the engine bay?

And there is no harm in leaving it connected permanantly

I leave mine on all the time when not using the car, and I believe it is supposed to trickle charge and keep the Battery in top rate condition. I have no reason to doubt this, and from my experience so far so good 

Yes, as the Battery was in the boot of the XJ I connected mine via the clips that came with it and left it there until I needed the car, then I simply removed the clips and put the mains extension under a waterproof cover and when I put the car back reconnected (my car sits at the front of the house) with the LS I'll have to work out the best way to wire it up but it should not be that difficult.  Its designed to be left on all the time and you can see loads of them being used in the garages owned by car collectors on YouTube (like Shmee etc) 

20 hours ago, cruisermark said:

So guys am I right in saying that with the Ctek I connect it upto the battery via the eyelet connectors and then it just sits next to the battery in the engine bay?

correct. however installing the eyelets on my gs or rx hybrids prevent the boot mats from closing, so I had to do without them.

i have both the NOCO and CTek MXS5.0. However I wouldn't use the recond function on them, not comfortable with it sending high voltage pulses when the Battery is still connected to the car with all these electronics.

4 hours ago, toe said:

i have both the NOCO and CTek MXS5.0. However I wouldn't use the recond function on them, not comfortable with it sending high voltage pulses when the battery is still connected to the car with all these electronics.

I think if you use the charging function to keep the Battery in good order, I doubt you will ever need to use the recond function. I have yet to see dead batteries being reconditioned and then lasting. When the life is finished I just buy a new one.

On 4/4/2020 at 10:40 AM, cruisermark said:

I assume that this must be plugged in to the mains to work. (Advert doesn't mention mains or show a plug.  

So,You can fix the device which has either a male or female socket somewhere near the Battery .  You stll need to connect up the lead to the Male/female socket to get trickle charge or whatever.  Also you still have to remember to unplug it and keep the short (?)  lead (into an extension cable?) somewhere where water won't get to it if not garaged.  Under the bonnet perhaps? 

Have read one for sale where the owner forgot to unplug it from the mains - now sold spares/repair.  Not sure how different this is from a basic Battery charger, but perhaps most don't have the trickle charge setting? They usually have cut out when reached full charge, surely? 

This appears to be a Chinesium version. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-C-Multi-MXS-5-0-12V-Car-Bike-Battery-SMART-Trickle-Charger-Conditioner/233416170439?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D474949c0b24b41918448683b996272c8%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D131745641533%26itm%3D233416170439%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

59 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

Good luck with one of the Chinese copies 🥺

I'm not recommending it. However if you check this out and your own you'll see "Assembled in China" on the label. 

Not sure why prices vary so much 3.8 or MS5 ? What is the difference?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CTEK-MXS-3-8-Battery-Charger-Charges-Maintains-Car-and-Motorcycle-Batteries/183990474361?epid=8031188251&hash=item2ad6afd679:g:4F0AAOSwoGVdn6Iq

Edited by runsgrateasanut
not Made but Assembled - have corrected.

Stuart the world is full of Chinese copies, irrespective that both are made in China. Each to his own, but I would always stick with the propriety brand. That is my view, Rgds, Roger

• Like 1

Can a 12v Motorcycle Battery that only registers 9.85v and seemingly is  fully charged according to the AA Battery Charger,  be de-sulphated by using one of these Trickle chargers?  Irritatingly owing to evil people its no longer possible to order a M/cycle Battery to be delivered by Courier with accompanying Acid bottle.

Suspect its had it.  Can't get one locally for some thirty miles hence my thinking. Can this be brought back to full life by pulsating or is that feature a gimmic?  

You can still post Gel batteries.

Sounds like a cell has gone down, even if you got it back it would be a shadow of it's former self. 

• 2 weeks later...

As stated many times buy a Ctek   MXS 5.0.  Ctek make the best Battery conditioners bar none.     The 5.0 refers to 5 amps,  you can buy  7.0, 10.0 amp versions but all will do what you want.   Ctek has now produced a traffic light dongle which connects via  cables with  eyelets and gives an instant indication of Battery condition.  the 3 LED lights  flash separately dependent on actual Battery strength, so green flash = OK, amber =  get ready for a charge soon and red = needs charging.  Bought  for £12 on E Bay and is a genuine Ctek accessory.       

• Like 2