Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok, the manual says that the ATF is good for the life of the vehicle. Have any of you changed the ATF on a 2004-2006 facelift model LS430?
I know it's easier to do on the 5 speed 2001-2003 model but the only transmission failures on the 6 speed 04-06 I have ever seen talked about are related to the radiator failure (water mixed with ATF) and solenoid failures at very high mileages.
On the US site there are several pages about it and the procedure looks like being a right PITA unless you have access to a lift.
I do know that our US cousins are obsessive about oil changes, even when they are not necessary, so is this just another case of that?

The changing of the transmission fluid is easy if you have the right kit .

A 12v pump, narrow enough diameter plastic tube to fit down the dipstick tube and about 16 litres of the correct ATF for the car.

First check the fluid in the vehicle if it is pink and does not smell burnt if it is ok and does not require changing .

If it is brown and smells burnt and the drive and gear changes are lumpy it needs changing out.

There is no need to drain the fluid from the sump as this only holds about 3 litres anyway,most of the fluid is in the torque converter and cannot be accessed .

The method for change is a litre out and a litre in then a run round the block until you have used the 16 litres this does not give an entire change but that is fine because the seals within the system are helped in their operation by the old fluid .When you have changed the fluid the old brown stuff will be out and fluid that is in should be  pink and smell as fresh as it does in the bottle

It takes a bit of time and requires the purchase of the pump which are available on eBay or at Halfords but other than the above procedure that' s it.

on mine, Mk3 Ls400,  I think I read somewhere ( probably on here, but maybe in the manual somewhere  )  that to drain say 2 ltrs at 130k miles and then the same again at each 35k miles thereafter .....  just the 2 ltrs mind to drain and refill

my indy does it of course so I have no idea how challenging that may be BUT he doesn't complain about it at all

Malc

My indy did it at at around 120k. Said the best way was to do it twice i.e. with two annual services rather than trying to get it clean in one hit. I can understand he wouldn't want to run it round the block after each litre.

Jon

I was checking out the newer post 2010 Lexus and Toyota transmissions for the fluid change after this discussion started and I am now very pleased I have a transmission with a dipstick.

The newer models do not and the transmission fluid change is an absolute nightmare involving all sorts of procedures with high tech special equipment that inevitably leads to a Lexus dealership for this procedure.

Thanks all, but the 2004-2006 LS430 does not have a transmission dipstick like on the LS400 or the 2001-2003 LS430.
I think I'm going to leave it be as it still shifts smooth as butter.

My LS430 has 126k miles on it now and without access to a lift there is no way I am attempting what the US site suggests.
I changed the ATF on my 1998 Honda Legend at 130k miles and that was easy enough as it had the dipstick tube for filling, even if it took most of a morning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The best way is to slowly do it.... 2 10mm bolts on the drivers side of the gearbox i think.

That will give you access to the fill bolt (24mm) and the level bolt, make sure you can open the fill before you remove the sump bolt.

Something like 2 litres will come out but stick it in a jug to see how much and simply replace it through the filler then run the engine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Fluid-Suction-Vacuum-Transfer-Hand-Syringe-Gun-Pump-Extractor-Gearbox-Hose/322189184435?epid=1857811695&hash=item4b03f8cdb3:g:KlAAAOSwcgNZCriw

using something like that....to get the atf in the hole

Rinse and repeat.  

All you need is 2 jack stands and a trolley jack, when I did mine my atf was pretty crappy looking at 100k.

You can of course leave it much longer it just maybe a peace of mind thing although I do believe that car makers feel 100000 miles is lifetime, It was a sneeky thing to remove the dip stick It builds in an impending doom upon the car, sells more cars in the end I would hazard a guess. 

IMG_2664 (1).jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/492855-04-06-sealed-transmission-fluid-change-interval-the-mother-thread-23.html   a detailed post

Thanks Allan, unfortunately at 6'4" and 29 stone I don't fit that far under the car with it on jack stands, or even on the ramps I have, so I would need a lift to access those bolts.
My question was how many on here have actually changed or had changed the transmission fluid on their 2004-2006 LS's and at what mileage?