Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

TPMS question

Hi All

I've recently purchased an Nx300h. Within around 20 minutes of driving away from the garage the TPMS light lit up and is now on all the time. I've checked all tyres and all seem to have the correct pressure. 

This is my first car with TPMS and I'm  not so familiar with how this works. I've read up that there are specific valves installed on the wheels for this to work. 

The garage (non Lexus) did replace all 4 tyres as part of their service. 

I've tried resetting the TPMS via the dash menu, but when attempting to reset via the hold button nothing happens. No prompts on the screen. The light remains on. 

I've read that for TPMS to work it needs specific tyres installing. Is this true? 

Thanks 

Kal

48 minutes ago, kal said:

I've read that for TPMS to work it needs specific tyres installing. Is this true? 

Definitely not true!

TPMS is simply measuring the air pressure within the tyres. It makes no odd which tyres are fitted.

When did you check the tyres pressures? To get the correct value the tyres must be cold, not driven for at least 4hrs and not in direct sunlight. Early morning is the best time to check.

58 minutes ago, kal said:

Hi All

I've recently purchased an Nx300h. Within around 20 minutes of driving away from the garage the TPMS light lit up and is now on all the time. I've checked all tyres and all seem to have the correct pressure. 

This is my first car with TPMS and I'm  not so familiar with how this works. I've read up that there are specific valves installed on the wheels for this to work. 

The garage (non Lexus) did replace all 4 tyres as part of their service. 

I've tried resetting the TPMS via the dash menu, but when attempting to reset via the hold button nothing happens. No prompts on the screen. The light remains on. 

Thanks 

Kal

The likelihood is that one or more of the TPMS sensors was damaged when the tyres were fitted. It is also possible that one of the sensor batteries has expired, but you do not say how old the car is, and this is unusual before around 8 to ten years.

John. 

Is the TPMS light red or amber?

If red then the pressure reading is out of range. If amber then the system cannot read the sensors properly.

From your description, it seems likely that the sensors have either been damaged or that their codes have been deleted from the cars memory. Most tyre firms can check read the sensors to see which ones are damaged. I would go back to the supplying dealer and see what they say. The sensors are pretty expensive!

2 hours ago, Britprius said:

The likelihood is that one or more of the TPMS sensors was damaged when the tyres were fitted. It is also possible that one of the sensor batteries has expired, but you do not say how old the car is, and this is unusual before around 8 to ten years.

John. 

June 2017 F Sport model

2 hours ago, malcolmw said:

Is the TPMS light red or amber?

If red then the pressure reading is out of range. If amber then the system cannot read the sensors properly.

From your description, it seems likely that the sensors have either been damaged or that their codes have been deleted from the cars memory. Most tyre firms can check read the sensors to see which ones are damaged. I would go back to the supplying dealer and see what they say. The sensors are pretty expensive!

Flashing amber, then it's a still amber light

From the handbook-

■When replacing the tires and wheels
If the ID code of the tire pressure warning
valve and transmitter is not registered, the
tire pressure warning system will not work
properly. After driving for about 20 minutes,
the tire pressure warning light blinks
for 1 minute and stays on to indicate a sys-
Installing tire pressure warning tem malfunction.

Looks like your symptoms.