Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Acceptable Alternative 12v Battery?

The Pan Battery is 51 Amp hour and the Hankook 50. I don't think this will make any significant difference.  My preference would be for the AXS55D23L about which I am waiting further information from Megastore.  It might be that if they had to specially get this in it would A take more time to obtain and B take time to even get a price because of it not being a Battery they normally supply.  (They are advertising the larger AXS65D26L 75Ah version for £106.97 but this is too long although perhaps an indicator of price).

I got the impression when I spoke with Megastore that they were very busy and didn't want to spend time over the phone discussing Battery technicalities hence asking me to email details which I did and have not yet had a reply  If this Battery is not stocked in the UK as seems to be the case, perhaps the wait could be too long for you.  So I leave it with you as to whether you wish to pursue with Megastore whether the SA55020L which they stock is suitable checking the point I made about vents and accepting you might need a longer earth strap.  Due to the fact that your Battery is in urgent need of replacement it might be better in your case to bite the bullet and buy the Pan one from Lexus if the SA55020L is not suitable.

Please let us know which way you go.

11 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

An interesting video and well explained.  It reminds me I did not mention that greater deep cycling of these batteries,

Another thing that was mentioned in the video was the temperature sensor on the larger Battery. I think the Battery on the IS300h also has a temperature sensor. Is that the same on the RX450h or have you found any details about whether this exists on alternative batteries?

yes, my IS200d also has a temp sensor.... but the Rx450h Battery only seemed to have a vent pipe (rubber tube).

The Battery is pretty easy to replace, lots of room, only gripe is a fiddly bolt on the securing bracket, but really straightforward.   Due to is size not as heavy as the one I had for my IS200d. 

I took the plunge and bought one from Lexus direct (£195) .... seem to be really hard to find.  One in Japan, and one in the US, neither can ship to the UK... prices about the same.

I felt I needed it sooner than later and given the unusual specification,I would never be sure an alternative is right.. piece of mind more than anything.

I get hybrid has different 12v Battery needs, just wish they would standardise a bit more.... it used to be the Toyota way to use compatible parts.

13 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

It reminds me I did not mention that greater deep cycling of these batteries, moreso than the heavy cranking ability characteristic of batteries to start engines in cars that are not hybrids

Barry, you've mentioned "deep cycling" a time or two in this thread and I'm wondering why?

As far as I know the RX450h doesn't leave the factory with a deep cycle Battery - they are the type fitted to mobility scooters and (I believe) cars with stop/start technology, which of course the RX isn't.

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

Barry, you've mentioned "deep cycling" a time or two in this thread and I'm wondering why?

As far as I know the RX450h doesn't leave the factory with a deep cycle battery - they are the type fitted to mobility scooters and (I believe) cars with stop/start technology, which of course the RX isn't.

All AGM batteries are deep cycle to an extent, certainly more so than a flooded Battery. IMO this is a good reason to have a deep cycle Battery on a hybrid (unless you can fit a higher capacity flooded battery) because otherwise going on holiday for 2 weeks will take flooded Battery below 50% and damage it (losing a bit of capacity). An AGM can take 70% discharge without too much damage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

As far as I know the RX450h doesn't leave the factory with a deep cycle battery - they are the type fitted to mobility scooters and (I believe) cars with stop/start technology, which of course the RX isn't.

Herbs,

See what Professor Kelly says in the video link William gave from point 4 on about the deep cycling Battery in the Prius (same technology as RX450h).  This is what reminded me of what I had read elsewhere.

• Like 1

Fair enough chaps, I was just getting confused by terminologies.

I think of a true deep-cycle Battery being the mobility scooter/wheelchair type, where we charge up my wife's scooter and often go for walks (rides in her case) where the Battery gets so flat that I sometimes have to leave her there while I go back for the car. Once we get home, slap it on charge and it's ready to do the same thing again the next day.

Obviously, the 12V batteries in our RXs never see service like that so I never think of them being deep discharge batteries.

5 hours ago, Thackeray said:

Another thing that was mentioned in the video was the temperature sensor on the larger battery. I think the battery on the IS300h also has a temperature sensor. Is that the same on the RX450h or have you found any details about whether this exists on alternative batteries?

Can't see one on my RX450H.  There is something connected next to the positive terminal with some fins.  I remember my very old Camry had some fuses in that position but not fins, so will lift the flap and take a look as it might be to help disperse heat or be some sort of regulator. 

41 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

Incidentally, note how later in the video he goes on to connect the charger negative to earth avoiding the negative battery terminal as we previously discussed

As we've said before, this is not electrically necessary but is purely a safety thing to minimise the risk of igniting the hydrogen gas eminating from a charging Battery.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of, or seen first-hand, this happening? I wonder just how real the risk is?

I've been driving since June 1975 and never come across this happening at all - not in a car or garage setting anyway. As you'll know from previous posts I used to be a telephone engineer on BT and telephone exchanges had big Battery rooms to keep the network up in the case of a power outage. Of course, in a commercial setting like that, no naked flames were allowed in the Battery rooms and they all had a good ventilation system, but never heard of it happening there either.

A telephone exchange Battery room:

txebatt.thumb.png.d98ff7234ab4ce274eda7a08a9cf5113.png

Herbs,

You were right about  chair type scooters needing deep discharge batteries as they are not intermittently charged during use,  that is unless they are like this   guy who wanted something that would produce more power lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Herbs,

You were right about  chair type scooters needing deep discharge batteries as they are not intermittently charged during use,  that is unless they are like this   guy who wanted something that would produce more power lol.  

Ah!   The Woolacombe Beach-world Speed record attempt 2019

In view of lack of response from Megastore,  (Battery importers for Hankook in the  UK), I chased them today about the possibility of importing the Hankook AXS55D23L  for us.  They said due to lack of demand for this unusual size they would not consider it unless an order was placed for at least 100, so it looks like that they won't help us which is disappointing.  I have emailed the Belgian Battery company to see whether they or one of their branches would be prepared to ship to a UK address and if so at what cost and when and whether at a group price to individual addresses.  I will post when I get a reply. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just for info....

The 10 year old Panasonic flooded lead/acid died on my gen3 RX450 the other day.

I've replaced it with a Yuasa YBX3005 which fits the Battery space perfectly - no modifications required* (see below).

The Battery is rated at 60 Ah (20 hour rate). It cost less than £60.00 from amazon.

*The only problem I have is the vent pipe elbow removed from the Panny is much larger than the vents on the Yuasa. I've got to find an adapter to fit the pipe securely. I've Emailed Yuasa and await their response!

I couldn't find a correctly sized AGM Battery but I figured that as a standard Battery was factory fitted, there's no need to change that. The Yuasa is "Roll Over" sealed but that obviously that wont retain the acid if the casing splits.

£60 is a good price for the Yuasa YBX3005 but unless your Pan Battery was indeed a Flooded Lead Acid rather than a VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid AGM one),  which I doubt, you have not fitted a compatible Battery.  Flooded Lead Acid allows the acid to move about freely.  The VRLA (AGM)  Battery contains glass  mat which absorbs/holds the acid.  The latter has a safety advantage where the Battery is located in the boot of an RX450h  upturned in an accident if you don't want to risk being sprayed with acid.  Even where it is under the hood the VRLA AGM Battery is also more suited to the special 12v battery  requirements  of a hybrid.  Batteries are supposed to be replaced with the same type (not necessarily size as originals).  The technical information on the Yuasa YBX3005 states that more plates have been inserted to assist Cranking but this is the opposite of what you want with a hybrid which calls for fewer plates and a deep cycling AGM Battery. I contacted Yuasa as part of my research and was told they didn't have a suitable Battery for the 3rd Gen RX450h

I believe what you have purchased will serve but not as well as an AGM Battery for the reasons given above.

I spent over two full days searching for a suitable alternative to the VRLA AGM original Battery in my 2015RX both in the UK and abroad.  The only one of suitable size I could find was the Hankook AXS55D23L as previously reported in this thread. Unfortunately, the UK main importer for Hankook was not interested unless there was an order for 100 of this particular model.  I have as yet not received a reply to emails from a main distributor in Belgium who list it but I believe they are affected by lockdown at present.

• Like 2

Sterling work Barry. After it recently went flat enough not to be able to start the RX I need to keep an eye on mine. The AA man reckoned it needed replacing but it seems to be working OK again for now, will see how it goes when I put the car back into everyday use next week.

• 1 month later...

I chased the major Battery supplier in Belgium yet again re the Hankook AXS55D23L Battery, as I had not had a reply from them to my emails  They responded by saying that they had referred my request to Megastore in the UK (who didn't contact me). Furthermore, they advised they did not stock this Battery anyway, although it is shown on the list they link to on their web site.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, I did contact Megastore who is the distributor for Hankook batteries in the UK. at the outset.  It seems it is up to Megastore which batteries they stock and they would only consider stocking AXS55D23L if there was a demand for 100+ hence my contacting the Belgium supplier who also provide to agencies in France.

It is disappointing that there exists a Battery that would be suitable but we cannot get hold of it. Other Battery manufacturers make Auxiliary AGM batteries but their restricted range does not include one of suitable capacity/size.  Therefore, It is with regret that I have to conclude that I see the only satisfactory possibility is to 'negotiate' with a main dealer (including Lexus Direct), on replacing with the same Battery as originally fitted.  Sorry folks! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links