Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This might be a really really stupid question

I am wondering, if this lockdown continues for quite a long time, (which is quite likely) and my car is stood on the same spot for several weeks/months, will the tyres develop a 'flat-spot' that might be noticeable when I start to drive it again.

I recently had a new complete set of Michelin Cross Climates fitted, not cheap and, I wouldn't want something like this to effectively wreck them.

Now, is my near 80 year old brain being stupid or is it something that might/could happen?

Don't laugh will you☺️

Certainly not a silly question in my books  🙂

Yes, flat spots could happen, but it depends.

When I last parked up my GS for 12 months, the rears (Michelin PSS) developed flat spots whereas the fronts (Pirelli P-Zero) didn't. The Pirellis were newer tyres though, with ~7mm thread whereas the Michelins has only 3mm left, so maybe tyre age plays a role in flat-spotting. Tyres certainly get harder with age, and as such likely to hold a shape more permanently.

The car has been SORN'd once again but this time I have over-inflated the tyres to 40psi and will keep them topped up that way so lets see what happens.

Just move the car forwards or backwards a foot every few weeks or just turn the car round. Other alternative is to jack the car up, and put it on blocks so that the wheels are not touching the ground.

John.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Just move the car forwards or backwards a foot every few weeks or just turn the car round. Other alternative is to jack the car up, and put it on blocks so that the wheels are not touching the ground.

John.

And let the engine run for 10 minutes each week and overinflate each of the tyres to 40 psi.

could you take her out for some essential shopping maybe ?  keep her in fine fettle, even if it's just to somewhere like Pets at Home store to get essential cat food etc ..  yesterday at our one there was only one other customer so quite " social distanced " ......  keep the tyres ok and Battery recharging etc

Malc