Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Storage Lids Popped Open

Hi all, I have a 2009 Rx 400h Limited edition.  Overnight both of the lids to the rear storage compartments have popped up and try as I might I can't get them to stay down.  This is a articular problem for my Akita who is a big girl and is struggling to get into the back of the car.  I've fiddled with the buttons but they seem to be operating OK, but the mechanism isn't engaging with the lid mechanisms. Anybody any ideas?

Incidentally, I have had the car for five years and this is the first problem I have encountered of any kind, which is such a relief after owning a  series of BMW's, - incredible car.

Hi Herbie,

I had a similar problem with the left cover. When I opened them to put the parcel shelf in, the left one would not stay shut. The latch was not coming back out to its full extent. I used a paid of pliers and simply worked the latch in and out a few times and it seemed to loosen it a bit and haven't had the problem since. Some silicone spay lubricant may help.

• Like 1

DO NOT use WD40 to lubricate anything. After a week or two it sets into a solid mass of crap which does not move. Use 3 in 1 oil or something silicone based (plastic to metal with silicone, never metal to metal). If metal to metal, try to get something graphite based. Oh, and graphite causes aluminium to pit, so use PTFE on that. 

Complicated, but WD40 is only good for removing glue from stickers or Cellotape from windows after your wife stuck Christmas cards everywhere.