Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I only have the space saver so can't say for sure, but I would be very surprised if a full-sized wheel could be kept in there.

Mind you, this space saver is the first spare wheel of any sort that I've had in the last 15 years. Up to getting this hybrid, all my cars over the last 15 years were converted to LPG and the gas tank was located in the spare wheel well instead of the spare. I just carried around a can of Holts Tyreweld and a little 12V compressor for small punctures, anything bigger would be dealt with by my breakdown cover.

My understanding is that a full size spare wheel was an option on at least some cars but few had it.  It requires a lifted cover which reduces the available boot space.  Apparently it's so rare that even some dealers don't know of this option.  I did make a note of a reference of one colour but obviously anybody wanting to do this would want to colour match existing.  If this is being actively pursued I will try to find the reference I recorded somewhere which could involved some delving.

• 3 years later...

Can't speak for earlier models but on third generation RX450h and I believe the fourth generation, it comes as standard with a pre inflated 'saver' tyre/wheel which is thinner and is mounted on a steel rim.  From memory the speed is limited to 50mph, the idea being that you get your punctured tyre replaced asap so the space saver is used in an emergency.  It may be a full size was offered in some markets but not as standard in the UK.

I suppose one could build up the sides of a standard cover to sit on a normal wheel if prepared to lose a little luggage space. This would mean it would easier to carry your punctured normal wheel.  It would also mean that you could run your spare at normal speed and enable you to source a replacement tyre in need at your convenience.  But you need to purchase a spare size wheel and tyre to do this.

Would be interested to learn if you do this.

If considering a fuil size spare, give some thought to your tyres. If, like me, you have Michelin Crossclimates, then they are directional tyres, and so any spare would only be a suitable replacement for one side of the car.

I've given this quite a bit of thought, and even considered keeping 2 full size spares in the garage to cover the directional issue. My conclusion is that a full size spare might sit around unused for many years, and so may reach the end of its "shelf life" before being needed, and thus an expensive contingency. In the end I've concluded that it's easier to either stick with the space saver, or no spare and tyre weld, and replace any tyres as and when the need arises.

Just my opinion though, as choices will depend on how often you usually get punctures.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

If considering a fuil size spare, give some thought to your tyres. If, like me, you have Michelin Crossclimates, then they are directional tyres, and so any spare would only be a suitable replacement for one side of the car.

I've given this quite a bit of thought, and even considered keeping 2 full size spares in the garage to cover the directional issue. My conclusion is that a full size spare might sit around unused for many years, and so may reach the end of its "shelf life" before being needed, and thus an expensive contingency. In the end I've concluded that it's easier to either stick with the space saver, or no spare and tyre weld, and replace any tyres as and when the need arises.

Just my opinion though, as choices will depend on how often you usually get punctures.

That's a fair point, although I suppose you could in need use a one directional tyred wheel the wrong way with care in an emergency to a garage if the puncture was on the different side to the spare in the boot well.  They seem to sit in there for a long time without deteriorating as those exposed to light do.  Certainly you wouldn't want a spare that will be used rarely, if at all, to dictate the type of tread on the 4 in use wheels.  (On my BMW saloon all tyres are the same, there being a wider choice for the application and it did prove useful having the same full sized spare in the boot when I badly damaged one tyre and rim when I hit a snow covered rock some years ago).

My conclusion is that what Lexus supply on this model is the best compromise for the UK market and much better than having nothing other than a can of pressurised sealer which will be of no use for a large puncture/tear, as sems to be supplied with cars these days..

• Like 1

Similar topic going on in Tyres Section.

I must say Bill, the idea of having two spare tyres, one for each 'direction', does rather stretch it a bit 😂 .

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links