Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help, My battery died!

Catbrowne

Hello, 

I have a 2013 CT 200. Took my time cleaning it today with the radio on so I think I've killed my Battery. Any advice on which car charger to buy? Being in the lockdown, I figured I'd order one from Halfords to charge the Battery with but I've no idea what type to buy. Thanks

Hi Catherine, welcome to the forum.

There have been many threads recently about keeping battery's topped up whilst we are locked at home, check here; https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/discover/23/

Lexus hybrids tend to be AGM style batteries, so first check this on your Battery and then order a compatible charger.

Regards, Lee

Thank you Lee,

I dunno if I can get to my Battery at the moment because the boot Is locked and won't unlock. I figured I'd just get a charger and charge it with the instructions in the manual on how to jump start. 

It says there are points to connect jumper cables under the hood.

Thanks

A quick search of related threads on here suggests yours will be an AGM Battery of 45Ah capacity;

Toyota often sell comparable batteries much cheaper than Lexus and ^ thread shows part# 28800-YZZPD - online these retail around £100.

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-ct/lexus-ct-2010-onwards/lexus-ct-engine-service-kits/lexus-ct-phase-1-12v-starter-battery/

Unfortunately ^ aren't taking orders at the moment 😞

A CTek charger should do it fine. There is no old school lock on the boot of the CT but you could get in via the back seat. The 12v Battery doesn’t need much power as all it does is boot the computer really, the traction Battery is used to power the motors and spin the engine over. 

I have one of these below. Fully compatible with AGM batteries and has a Regen mode to deep cycle fully discharged batteries. Can also be left connected for use as a Battery maintainer during times of infrequent use.

it comes with a comfort lead that can be permanently connected straight to the Battery for easy connection of the charger.

CTEK MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic Battery Charger (Charges, Maintains and Reconditions Car and Motorcycle Batteries) 12V, 5 Amp - UK Plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FC42HAA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_bmKJEbAGBDWPH

catherine have a look on the image where i have arrowed

there is usually a key slot under here you may find it is

black with dirt so a quick wipe with a cloth will clean it

i no longer have a ct so i cannot go and check it for you

but my IS does have this key slot

ct200h tailgate.jpg

We haven't used our CT for about a month now. I have a ctek 5.0 charger but haven't used it on this car yet.

If I set it to AGM and recondition mode is it best to connect it directly to the Battery or will the terminals under the bonnet be ok? Do the doors need to be opened/closed like it says for jump starting?

Roughly how long should it take to charge the Battery in this mode? I would need to run a cable from the house to the car on the driveway and don't want to be leaving a window or the car open overnight. I'm assuming the Battery will be nearly fully charged already so I think it should be done within 6 hours as it's quite small. I've had some batteries take almost a day.

8 minutes ago, -Rich- said:

We haven't used our CT for about a month now. I have a ctek 5.0 charger but haven't used it on this car yet.

If I set it to AGM and recondition mode is it best to connect it directly to the battery or will the terminals under the bonnet be ok? Do the doors need to be opened/closed like it says for jump starting?

Roughly how long should it take to charge the battery in this mode? I would need to run a cable from the house to the car on the driveway and don't want to be leaving a window or the car open overnight. I'm assuming the battery will be nearly fully charged already so I think it should be done within 6 hours as it's quite small. I've had some batteries take almost a day.

If you haven’t used the car in a month the battery will have discharged quite a bit. I haven’t used the under bonnet connections. I’ve just connected the comfort lead directly to the Battery. I reckon if you start charging early morning it will be fully charged by evening time. But if you select recon it may take a fair bit longer. I haven’t used recon on my CT so not sure on how long it will take.

• Like 1

How did you connect the comfort lead? I've never looked at the Battery so not sure if there are bolts for the eyelet connecters. The lead is still in the box so I may just connect it to the Battery.

With the batteries on my other cars I've always disconnected them and charged in the house as it's easier. But I'm not sure if removing the Battery will mess with any of the electrics and things might need resetting.

30 minutes ago, -Rich- said:

How did you connect the comfort lead? I've never looked at the battery so not sure if there are bolts for the eyelet connecters. The lead is still in the box so I may just connect it to the battery.

With the batteries on my other cars I've always disconnected them and charged in the house as it's easier. But I'm not sure if removing the battery will mess with any of the electrics and things might need resetting.

The main cable clamps have nuts you can remove allowing you to fit the eyelets on the studs before reinstalling the nuts. Much easier. I charged the Battery a few days ago for the first time this way. All very simple. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Zotto said:

Here, in italian but you can set the automatic translation in subtitles infos about CTek charger:

That version of the charger has the diagnostics functions for starting and alternator which wouldn't be any use on a hybrid. Just pointing out for info. The normal variant of this charger is all you would need in case anyone is wondering.

On 4/10/2020 at 8:57 PM, -Rich- said:

If I set it to AGM and recondition mode is it best to connect it directly to the battery or will the terminals under the bonnet be ok? Do the doors need to be opened/closed like it says for jump starting?

If using recond mode you should disconnect the Battery from the vehicle - you risk damaging the vehicle electronics as the charger will pulse output a voltage higher than standard.

Colin, where have you read that? The Ctek manual says nothing about that but the Lexus one says to disconnect the negative cable whenever recharging the Battery, which seems to defeat the purpose of using the comfort lead.

From reading the Ctek manual it seems AGM and Recond modes shouldn't be used together and it's for normal mode only. But yes it does charge at a higher voltage so if I was to use the recond mode I would definitely remove it from the car first. 

The Lexus manual also says to charge the Battery at 4.2A or less or it could explode! I have the Ctek MXS 5.0 which charges at 5A, the MXS 3.8 is probably the better charger for the Lexus unless the one I have can automatically adjust the amperage? Although the manual suggests it doesn't.

I have used the Ctek on batteries for both my other cars and they are also under 5A too but they're also not worth much and don't have sensitive/complex electrics like the CT does so I just connected them off the car and charged. It's going to be a PITA to keep removing it on the CT though.

This is definitely overthinking things now and I'm sure Lexus's wording is just covering themselves - the manuals for other cars probably say the same! BoutTime, as you have the same model Ctek as me and have used the comfort lead I'm going to assume there were no issues.

1 hour ago, -Rich- said:

Colin, where have you read that? The Ctek manual says nothing about that

Maybe Ctek aren't as good a people say if they don't warn about this. I have a Noco charger with a recond/repair mode - it states:

Using 12V Repair. [From Standby Press and Hold 3 Seconds With Clamps Connected to the Battery]

12V Repair is an advanced Battery recovery mode for repairing and storing, old, idle, damaged, stratified or sulfated batteries. Not all batteries can be recovered. Batteries tend to become damaged if kept at a low charge and/or never given the opportunity to receive a full charge. The most common Battery problems are Battery sulfation and stratification. Both Battery sulfation and stratification will artificially raise the open circuit voltage of the Battery, causing the Battery to appear fully charged, while providing low capacity. Use 12V Repair in attempt to reverse these problems. For optimal results, take the 12-volt Battery through a full charge cycle, bringing the Battery to full charge, before using this mode. 12V Repair can take up to four (4) hours to complete the recovery process and will return to Standby when completed.

CAUTION. USE THIS MODE WITH CARE. THIS MODE IS FOR 12-VOLT LEAD-ACID BATTERIES ONLY. THIS MODE USES A HIGH CHARGING VOLTAGE AND MAY CAUSE SOME WATER LOSS IN WET (FLOODED) CELL BATTERIES. BE ADVISED, SOME BATTERIES AND ELECTRONICS MAY BE SENSITIVE TO HIGH CHARGING VOLTAGES. TO MINIMIZE RISKS TO ELECTRONICS, DISCONNECT THE Battery BEFORE USING THIS MODE.

Given the bullet proof nature of Toyota electronics it may well cope with 16v being pulsed into it, but I'd say it isn't worth the risk - but you shouldn't be using the repair mode in normal circumstances anyway.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Maybe Ctek aren't as good a people say if they don't warn about this. I have a Noco charger with a recond/repair mode - it states:

Using 12V Repair. [From Standby Press and Hold 3 Seconds With Clamps Connected to the Battery]

12V Repair is an advanced battery recovery mode for repairing and storing, old, idle, damaged, stratified or sulfated batteries. Not all batteries can be recovered. Batteries tend to become damaged if kept at a low charge and/or never given the opportunity to receive a full charge. The most common battery problems are battery sulfation and stratification. Both battery sulfation and stratification will artificially raise the open circuit voltage of the battery, causing the battery to appear fully charged, while providing low capacity. Use 12V Repair in attempt to reverse these problems. For optimal results, take the 12-volt battery through a full charge cycle, bringing the battery to full charge, before using this mode. 12V Repair can take up to four (4) hours to complete the recovery process and will return to Standby when completed.

CAUTION. USE THIS MODE WITH CARE. THIS MODE IS FOR 12-VOLT LEAD-ACID BATTERIES ONLY. THIS MODE USES A HIGH CHARGING VOLTAGE AND MAY CAUSE SOME WATER LOSS IN WET (FLOODED) CELL BATTERIES. BE ADVISED, SOME BATTERIES AND ELECTRONICS MAY BE SENSITIVE TO HIGH CHARGING VOLTAGES. TO MINIMIZE RISKS TO ELECTRONICS, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE USING THIS MODE.

Given the bullet proof nature of Toyota electronics it may well cope with 16v being pulsed into it, but I'd say it isn't worth the risk - but you shouldn't be using the repair mode in normal circumstances anyway.

The manual for mine is quite clear:

AGM option 14.7V/5A Use for charging most AGM batteries like Optima and Odyssey.

and

Recond option 15.8V/1.5A Use to return energy to the empty WET and Ca/Ca batteries.

Note it doesn't say Recond for AGM batteries...

https://www.ctek.com/storage/ma/3f8cf34932cc46889f1d189ca335379c/cd879e35fdd145898b6b99c549c40292/pdf/7F18A34BA7A2CF91AC9F5404D8EB07FE2E6CAA66/MXS_5.0-manual-low-UK-EN.pdf

Is 300h on ctek for past week, no issues so far. It’s an older / basic model though. Cables run such that vehicle can be locked and alarm armed.

image.jpeg.49f7fdef3a7925bdb7ef252461185537.jpeg

3 hours ago, -Rich- said:

BoutTime, as you have the same model Ctek as me and have used the comfort lead I'm going to assume there were no issues.

Correct. No issues using the Ctek 5.0 directly connected to the Battery via the comfort lead. I used normal mode and then AGM mode. No problems.

1 hour ago, colin79666 said:

Look at the chart on page 5. AGM and Recond is a charging program that can be selected.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:21 PM, BoutTime said:

Look at the chart on page 5. AGM and Recond is a charging program that can be selected.

Good point as it’s all at 5amp. Might be safest to use motorcycle mode and wait longer? You only really need to get enough power in to let it start the cars systems, once the car boots up it can recharge the 12v Battery itself from the traction Battery. Its not like a standard engined car where you have to go drive it for a few miles so the alternator can put more back in than it took to crank the engine over, as long as the traction Battery isn’t too low. 

Our car’s Battery died. A quick call to AA had resolved our problem. They jump started the car and it’s working perfectly.

Last year we had a fault and the AA had to come out and tow the car to Lexus Leicester and after 4 weeks at lexus and £4,000 later the car came to life. Apparently the ecu and other parts were replaced. 

Is your car under warranty maybe you can call the AA out and sort the problem out. 

7 hours ago, colin79666 said:

Good point as it’s all at 5amp. Might be safest to use motorcycle mode and wait longer? You only really need to get enough power in to let it start the cars systems, once the car boots up it can recharge the 12v battery itself from the traction battery. Its not like a standard engined car where you have to go drive it for a few miles so the alternator can put more back in than it took to crank the engine over, as long as the traction battery isn’t too low. 

I personally think Ctek have made a mess of their instruction booklet and they find themselves in a bit of an awkward place. It's not possible for them to change it and send it out to everyone who's bought one.

It's interesting that Yuasa (who manufactured my 12v battery) sell their own rebadged Ctek MCX 5.0 charger (YCX 5.0) but it doesn't have an AGM mode labelled. It's relabelled with a snowflake and is used for cold weather and AGM batteries requiring 14.7v. But Yuasa don't tell anyone which of their AGM batteries require 14.7v!

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/media/static-datasheets/Yuasa_Smart_Charger_datasheet_YCX_5.0.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi_oabK4-7oAhWlunEKHYTUBPgQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw1K-LtsijIauFI458AEy-si

Also it's worth noting with regards to amperage that Stage 4 starts at 80% of full charge and charges at a declining current all the way up to 100%. So being a smart charger it doesn't force 5A in from start to finish.