Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS-F or IS-F? What to go for considering the price?

17 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

I'd probably let my GS F go for £36k. Less than 20k miles and 1 year+ warranty on it.

Will let you know if I make my mind up! 🙂 Still doubtful whether to go down ISF or GSF route.

On 4/10/2020 at 10:33 AM, Erkeen RK said:

Yea I also thought that they wouldnt be hugely different. 

To be frank I think I would be ok going for the ISF. It's just that what's currently on the market seems very overpriced imho. 

I guess it's the waiting game eh?

I'm in my GS 450h for now so things ain't bad 🙂

Definitely a waiting game. There have been lean periods before where there have been as little as 2 ISFs on Autotrader. 

I would imagine that it’ll soon be a buyers market. In addition to F cars being incredibly difficult to sell, you could be in a very strong position 👍

On 4/10/2020 at 12:13 PM, B1RMA said:

Everything changed regarding the ISF with the fact you could fit the Tein adaptive suspension system to the ISF, there is a member on here with it fitted. I can vouch for how good this system is as I have it on my Mini Clubvan, night and day goes some way to describing it.

best mod ive done and then there's the exhaust which i miss hearing lately.

I'm desperate to get my hands on a GSF, I'm just casually watching the market daily until the colours I want pop up and I'm in the right financial state to get it. The wife went overboard on the wedding last year 😅

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Irish ISF said:
On 4/12/2020 at 6:53 PM, Northern isf said:

How much does it cost and what are its effects? Is that the system that is on post 2012 cars?

Is alot better i have been told. But i think you will be looking at 3k for parts and labour.

barry

ps you can always go for kwv3 :):):) 

Is alot better i have been told. But i think you will be looking at 3k for parts and labour.
barry
I have them on my 156 and to be honest I find them horrifically stiff. Much worse than the ISF.

3 hours ago, Irish ISF said:
10 hours ago, Cactus said:
barry

I have them on my 156 and to be honest I find them horrifically stiff. Much worse than the ISF.

i guess it all depends on the spring rate/design between the different kw spec/ and whether they are set up properly. 

i find it a substantial improvement compared to stock/ had them fitted under 2k. Much better ride quality and stability at high speed. equally there has been lots of positive review from the states.

if you gonna look at tein edfc system, you may wish to consider air suspension which i know one of the member here has them fitted and has compared it with E class quality ride.

barry

9 hours ago, Arqum said:

That's a damn sight cheaper than getting the later car spec suspension. 

Not only that but the Tein EDFC system is infinitely adjustable. The ride in my Minivan pre Tein was harsh, it held the road and for a short while fun. The Tein system transformed it, night and day is understating it.

I had Tein coilovers fitted to my track prepped RX7 they were great but like many that are adjustable it's a bit of a one trick pony, whereas the EDFC adjusts itself hundreds of times per minute and responds to how you drive.

Like I said if they did one for the RCF when I was buying my car I'd have bought a pre AVS car and fitted the EDFC system straight away plus you have adjustable height something the RCF desperately needs.

• Like 1

Not only that but the Tein EDFC system is infinitely adjustable. The ride in my Minivan pre Tein was harsh, it held the road and for a short while fun. The Tein system transformed it, night and day is understating it.
I had Tein coilovers fitted to my track prepped RX7 they were great but like many that are adjustable it's a bit of a one trick pony, whereas the EDFC adjusts itself hundreds of times per minute and responds to how you drive.
Like I said if they did one for the RCF when I was buying my car I'd have bought a pre AVS car and fitted the EDFC system straight away plus you have adjustable height something the RCF desperately needs.
Interesting. Are they known to be reliable?

3 hours ago, Irish ISF said:
3 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Generally not, there are lots of stories out there of people having to have Tein shocks rebuilt at relatively low mileages. 

I'm also considering swap to GSF after buying a house which hopefully will be later this year or early next. Problem is there is not too many to choose from🙂

My alternative for now is Jaguar XJR. There is quite a few on the marker and the value is even better. Like this one for example: https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/3022798

Chassis design is older and it does lack few gadgets but for sure entertainment system is ages ahead of Lexus one, plus I don't know why but I like soft close doors 🙂

13 hours ago, Irish ISF said:
13 hours ago, B1RMA said:

I can only go by my personal experience, first of all i had them on my track prepped RX7 and they were fine, about three years later I saw my car at Japfest on display (well it was a nice car) with a number of bikini clad girls all over it, I managed to talk to the current owner and asked about the car. It still had the bright green shocks on it and he said everything on the car was good.

I've had what you would consider a complex EDFC system fitted to the Mini about a year ago now and it is performing well with no issues.

It's interesting that shock absorbers seem to get a lot of comments, when we were upgrading my track prepped VX220 Turbo people on the forum said Quantums were leaky and other brands this and that. In the end I opted for Quantum and never had a problem with the Quantums, if there was a Tein system for the car I'd have bought it.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 10:46 PM, Irish ISF said:
On 4/12/2020 at 6:53 PM, Northern isf said:

How much does it cost and what are its effects? Is that the system that is on post 2012 cars?

3k but well worth it for the almost infinite settings on damping in car so your not messing about pulling up and changing settings on top of the struts first time ive used this system but it will be getting used in future cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Still have not decided. The trader won't bodge from 36.5k, it's a 2016 with 25k on the clock. Do you think it's a fair price? What's your opinion on the potential value of these in 2-4 years. 

Also has anyone ever had to get out of pcp earlier than the end of the given term? 

12 hours ago, Erkeen RK said:

Also has anyone ever had to get out of pcp earlier than the end of the given term?

That's my middle name! Haha. Depends how early and if you want to trade in for another car, all part of the game! 😄

12 hours ago, Erkeen RK said:

Still have not decided. The trader won't bodge from 36.5k, it's a 2016 with 25k on the clock. Do you think it's a fair price? What's your opinion on the potential value of these in 2-4 years. 

PCP - work well if you keep the car for the contracted time, and within the mileage limits agreed. 

End early, go over mileage - you’ll pay for the privilege, handsomely.

My advice if you want to go PCP, would be put as little as you can in the deal as a deposit, and take the burn on the monthly payments. But you must remember that you have to save for the deposit on your next car too. In general, Gone are the days where you’ll have cash in the car at the end of term.

Personally, I’d look at buying the car outright, using a personal loan, over a longer term. Interest rates will be more favourable, you can still get out at any time, and you’ll find at times, say 2 or 3 years into the agreement you’ll have more in the car than if you PCP’d it.

• Like 2

I've got to agree with all stated above. With the current situation I can imagine a glut of cars coming on to the market which I'm sure will have an effect. 

Up till now going in and buying a car cash be it from a loan or whatever didn't seem to have much impact but I think a new era is about to start regarding that. Personally I'd hang on for a few more months and see how this all pans out.

Agree with @B1 RMA that cash might well become king again as we come out of lockdown. Understandably dealers teaditionally want the profit on the car and the interest and commissions on the finance to make their margin but after lockdown I can only imagine they may be a bit more keen on a cash deal just to create some turnover. 

Customer stance would need to be cash or walk away as any sniff you want the car no matter what then you are back into their hands on their terms.

I'm not so sure. I think a lot of people will be looking hard at their finances with no end sight and might be keeping their cash and savings. Pensions and the finance markets have been hit hard . Absolutely there will be cash deals but I guess it depends on what sector we're looking at. I'm not so sure on new / nearly new.  

At least with a PCP you can get in new motor, drive away, pay your monthlies then bin it at the end of the term or even VT it . Its quick and easy.  

Without doubt they'll want to kick start the market and the best thing they can do is lower the APR and stick some proper finance incentives on the deal. That will start things moving. 

Some very valid points have been made indeed guys! The "common vehicle" market would definitely see a push. However I am not sure the same will be applicable to the unique vehicles such as GSF with only 67 registered in the UK (as far as I know). There are definitely people that are looking to pick one up with none currently in the market. 

@Killysprint I would much rather go for a loan, however not sure what vendor offers low percentages for 4 years or so... Need to have a good dig for it. PCP is indeed more expensive.

20 hours ago, Erkeen RK said:

Some very valid points have been made indeed guys! The "common vehicle" market would definitely see a push. However I am not sure the same will be applicable to the unique vehicles such as GSF with only 67 registered in the UK (as far as I know). There are definitely people that are looking to pick one up with none currently in the market. 

@Killysprint I would much rather go for a loan, however not sure what vendor offers low percentages for 4 years or so... Need to have a good dig for it. PCP is indeed more expensive.

8 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

I guess it depends on your credit rating but the AA do up to £25K at 3-4%.

My GSF PCP % is 3.7, I put 0 deposit in, other than my old CT (on a PCP at the time), which they said had £1k equity in it. I'd say for the car, that % is very reasonable! However, we are talking 2 years ago, so I realise times change 🙂

• Like 1