Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS-F or IS-F? What to go for considering the price?

It turns out mine does have ML on the build sheet. Something odd must have been happening a couple of years ago with the spec sheet

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey gang!

Sorry took me a while to get back here 🙂

Hope you guys are keeping well.

How much does it cost to replace all 4 corners brake discs and pads? 

I am also going to look into compound polishing it and ceramic wax spraying for a bit of protection... There some swirl marks to get rid of from the previous owners washes I assume... These usually have soft paint and thin finish I hear - any tips on this would be greatly appreciated too. 

Stay ssafe everyone!

2020-09-29-14-13-05.jpg

• Like 2

Rotors are around £85 each which seem to be full OEM spec:

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/lexus/rc-gsc1-usc1/107866/10132/brake-disc?brand[0]=65&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

and EBC pads are around £120 per set (front or rear) - so around £600 for all 4 corners.

Cheapest genuine Lexus parts from LexusPartsDirect would be around £1130, and you would end up with squealing pads 😞 

4 hours ago, Erkeen RK said:

Hey gang!

Sorry took me a while to get back here 🙂

Hope you guys are keeping well.

How much does it cost to replace all 4 corners brake discs and pads? 

I am also going to look into compound polishing it and ceramic wax spraying for a bit of protection... There some swirl marks to get rid of from the previous owners washes I assume... These usually have soft paint and thin finish I hear - any tips on this would be greatly appreciated too. 

Stay ssafe everyone!

2020-09-29-14-13-05.jpg

Nice looking car @Erkeen RK

My front bumper had a few stone chips on it which were acceptable when we purchased our F but the lacquer over the  carbon piece was badly chipped. 
I’ve recently had this restored along with the front bumper. I’ve then had the car paint corrected ceramic coated and  PPF placed on the front bumper wings bonnet and wing mirrors. 
The car came back last Friday and a bird decided to poo on the front bonnet today, which I noticed  when I came back after work. Etching marks were left in the PPF when the poo was removed but a bit of heat on the film made it ‘heal’ and it looks like new again. Topaz carried out the work. Highly recommended if you are in the Bristol or London area. 

16 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Rotors are around £85 each which seem to be full OEM spec:

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/lexus/rc-gsc1-usc1/107866/10132/brake-disc?brand[0]=65&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

and EBC pads are around £120 per set (front or rear) - so around £600 for all 4 corners.

Cheapest genuine Lexus parts from LexusPartsDirect would be around £1130, and you would end up with squealing pads 😞 

I have this squealing pads problem. It also squeaks even when no brakes are applied. I have been back and forth with Lexus Swindon and they haven't done anything about it after checking it 3 times... At some point they even tried to convince me that the humming noise from the low pressure fuel pump (due to a malfunction) is the "feature of the vehicle" - this got sorted under warranty though. Not a great bunch I must admit but had no alternatives. 

Have you had such squeak issues even when no brakes are applied? 

3 hours ago, Erkeen RK said:

Have you had such squeak issues even when no brakes are applied?

No. If it is from the brakes then that could be a piston that is a little sticky which should get fixed under warranty.

The standard pad squeal which happens when the brakes are lightly applied is unlikely to be fixed under warranty. There is a TSB for the RC F and LC500 where they swap the pads with ones with a different friction compound but that doesn't apply to the GS F for some unfathomable reason and they will only consider a swap up a certain amount of pad wear, by which point Lexus feel the owner has had enough time to decide (high performance track pads or ones that don't embarrass).

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

No. If it is from the brakes then that could be a piston that is a little sticky which should get fixed under warranty.

The standard pad squeal which happens when the brakes are lightly applied is unlikely to be fixed under warranty. There is a TSB for the RC F and LC500 where they swap the pads with ones with a different friction compound but that doesn't apply to the GS F for some unfathomable reason and they will only consider a swap up a certain amount of pad wear, by which point Lexus feel the owner has had enough time to decide (high performance track pads or ones that don't embarrass).

Do you know if the replacement  pads are available to purchase from Lexus? 

My GS also has a brake squeal even when I am not braking.  It can get quite loud, especially as I am driving down the motorway.

I have no luck with Lexus Reading either and since the first thing they suggest is a brake strip down to investigate - with the £186 investigation charge of course - I have been reluctant to get them to look into it as I am convinced that they will come back and say there is no fault that they can see.

So, if anyone can shed any light on why it might be happening, I would be interested to know and could perhaps get the dealer to investigate.

I did suggest a sticking caliper piston when I went there, which I hoped would explain my brake warpage issue I was having as well, but was told that they had looked at it and it was fine.

At the moment I just turn the stereo up!

9 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

My GS also has a brake squeal even when I am not braking.  It can get quite loud, especially as I am driving down the motorway.

I have no luck with Lexus Reading either and since the first thing they suggest is a brake strip down to investigate - with the £186 investigation charge of course - I have been reluctant to get them to look into it as I am convinced that they will come back and say there is no fault that they can see.

So, if anyone can shed any light on why it might be happening, I would be interested to know and could perhaps get the dealer to investigate.

I did suggest a sticking caliper piston when I went there, which I hoped would explain my brake warpage issue I was having as well, but was told that they had looked at it and it was fine.

At the moment I just turn the stereo up!

If you are DIY inclined, I would have a look myself, if you think you know where the noise is coming from (front left for instance), I would jack it up and see if I can recreate the noise at rest, then start removing and investigating from there. Might be something super silly. My dads old RX had a permanent squeal regardless of braking, turned out to be a stone lodged in the caliper. If you're local to Reading I'd have a look if you wanted for said silly thing(s), I am Fleet based though 🙂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Go for a ten minute drive and then touch both alloys. (Try to avoid excessive braking). If one of the alloys is warm or hot to the touch it could be a brake caliper sticking which obviously needs attention as not only are you wearing your pads you may possibly warp a disc and of course its dangerous.

It could be something much simpler however. I've had it on my old IS where the dust shield surrounding the brake disc is making contact with the outer edge of the disc causing the squeel. This can be caused by a build up of rust on the disc edge rubbing the dust shield or the shield has got knocked and is contacting the disc. Its simply a case of pushing/ bending it away from the disc. 

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, very much appreciate the advise.

Also, thank you Kieran for the offer.  I am actually in Basingstoke, so not a million miles away, but I will have a quick browse first to see if it is anything obvious.  Although, since you are local, having an opportunity to have a closer look at a GSF is always tempting :smile:

Weather dependant, I will see about having a closer look this weekend.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Thanks chaps, very much appreciate the advise.

Also, thank you Kieran for the offer.  I am actually in Basingstoke, so not a million miles away, but I will have a quick browse first to see if it is anything obvious.  Although, since you are local, having an opportunity to have a closer look at a GSF is always tempting :smile:

Weather dependant, I will see about having a closer look this weekend.

***** weather forecast it would seem for our area, but then it was meant to be that today and it was nice and sunny. More than welcome to come by for a browse, I'll make sure it's clean 😛