Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS 400 1993 Series Two. Remote Locking

When I got my LS [I've only had it About 15 years] there was no remote locking key.

I have just used the door key for locking and unlocking.

Now I am in lockdown, so decided to have go at an aftermarket eBay remote system.

These are available from about a tenner up,depending if you wanted to convert a manual lockiing system

to remote which has more components, you don't need that just the simple one

If anyone is interested [ can't be many of us with series two now!], I will list how it's done.

It's not too difficult, carpet needs pulling back right hand side of footwell and  does not affect the alarm system.

[Why have I got two line spacing?]

• Like 2

Think something like the below was fitted to a '93 which is seen at the back end of a Video on the LS460SE-L

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-SUV-Remote-Starter-Keyless-Central-Door-Locking-Kit-Alarm-Entry-System/123869908265

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQ4zsWw72U

Does such a system make the Car easier to steal should anyone would want to steal it?  

Can't answer your Q on double spacing although using Microsoft Word I find it annoyingly seems to automatically double space despite selecting no space.

I'm still getting (some not all) of my words on here underlined in red with a fuzzy line even though the spelling is accurate. Why?

3 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

even though the spelling is accurate. Why?

maybe it's thinking it's taking correction to American English rather than the Proper English :wink3:

Malc

Something like this looks promising:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-UPGRADE-REMOTE-KEYLESS-FOR-CENTRAL-LOCKING-KIT/330479665244

I had my troublesome alarm disconnected, so lost the remote central locking as well, and was thinking about something like this kit. For me the issue is finding the correct wires.

I have used Hawk products in the past to convert old Mercedes to central locking, and they work well.

Re the query ,'will the car be easier to steal'

The alarm 'security' system still works as normal, flashiing LED etc.

This is switched on by the door key as well as the remote.

I did disconnect the 'remote off' switch left of steering wheel,

so I don't know if this would have caused a problem if left switched on.

The remote uses the same electrical arrangement as operating the door key 'but remotely'

There is provision to flash the indicators also by the remote, haven't looked at this yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the Hawk one suggested by Howard which arrived within a couple of days and seems to be of a reasonable quality.

They do supply an installation guide booklet and a model specific sheet but this only gives the wire colour and rough location so a bit of metering is required.

Fitting involves removing the driver’s side lower dash, the heating ducting and the sill trim.

Took me around 4 hours due to having to confirm the wiring and routing the wiring, the indicator flasher wires were too short to reach to the Hazard Warning switch so had to be extended but the rest were fine.

This particular unit has the facility to remote open the boot (although the symbol on the fob is for sound mute on a TV) .The early LS400s with a single button key fob did not have this feature so this is a nice addition. The instructions say a relay is required but this is already fitted OEM so it was just a case of wiring to the boot release switch. Simply hold the fob button for 3 seconds to pop the boot.

Another thing I have found is that all the doors unlock automatically when the ignition is turned off, this will save the other half from opening the window every time we stop and get out.

The fourth button when pressed makes the indicator flash 3 times to assist vehicle location.

Considering Lexus want around £500.00 for the chip and 3 keys I am pretty pleased with my £20.00 system which does more.

I have noticed that since fitting when you select D the car goes backwards and when selecting R it goes forwards, I am however now getting used to this and I’ve put a label on the wood shifter panel like with the alien spaceship in Independence Day. Oooops. 😀

39222E99-1F3C-4336-9C4F-9471929A5213.png

• Like 3

Steve,

I must admit that fitting remote locking to my project is some way down the list, but it is interesting to hear about your experience.

12 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Another thing I have found is that all the doors unlock automatically when the ignition is turned off

Does that mean it overides the locking switch in the front doors?

12 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I have noticed that since fitting when you select D the car goes backwards and when selecting R it goes forwards

Do you have any idea why? I had assumed the gear selector was mechanical.

1 hour ago, Howplum said:

Steve,

I must admit that fitting remote locking to my project is some way down the list, but it is interesting to hear about your experience.

Does that mean it overides the locking switch in the front doors?

Do you have any idea why? I had assumed the gear selector was mechanical.

The lock/unlock function is “piggy backed” onto the door switch so you still retain the original switch function i.e. you can still lock/unlock the doors with the switch or the key in the lock.

The remote boot opening is a bonus as it never had it a standard.

The transmission is fine, you’ll get used to my sense of humour 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

The remote boot opening is a bonus as it never had it a standard.

and if I remember on my Mk1 and Mk2 ( 1994 car ) the dash area boot release would work with the engine running

on the Mk3 it doesn't, the engine must be turned off

Malc

25 minutes ago, Malc said:

and if I remember on my Mk1 and Mk2 ( 1994 car ) the dash area boot release would work with the engine running

on the Mk3 it doesn't, the engine must be turned off

Malc

I don't think the Mk2 does open when the engine is running, as I was asked to open the Boot going through Calais Customs and had to switch off the engine.

I can open the boot with the engine running on mine but it is an import so as usual could differ from Lexus branded models of the same year. Just got to get the boot lid to fully open now and  I have an Air Brake/Speed Brake like a Boeing 😀

• Like 1

Steve, nice write up.

I might be tempted to buy this kit. Fact is, I would only find it useful to be able to unlock the Car at a distance ( at present two foot is about the didstance and even then you have to point it correctly to the rear or it just doens't open.

Perhaps automatically opening the boot would be a lazy b*gger / look at me, improvement that I'd enjoy.

I think that your passenger door not opening when the ignition is switched off is a fault on your car, only?

My only other annoying fault is that the Boot when opened by key when the Car has not been disabled by the keyfob, sometimes the Alarm goes off. It doesn't happen all the time, but must be a fault somewhere?  Would the Hawk "click to open" system, bypass this problem occuring? 

Oh, and the flashing corner lights when locking/unlocking, are they legal?  Is it only bleeps that are illegal. My Car doesn't flash the lights. Volume controlled bleep as a member on here instructed me how to set. 

3 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Steve, nice write up.

I might be tempted to buy this kit. Fact is, I would only find it useful to be able to unlock the Car at a distance ( at present two foot is about the didstance and even then you have to point it correctly to the rear or it just doens't open.

Perhaps automatically opening the boot would be a lazy b*gger / look at me, improvement that I'd enjoy.

I think that your passenger door not opening when the ignition is switched off is a fault on your car, only?

My only other annoying fault is that the Boot when opened by key when the Car has not been disabled by the keyfob, sometimes the Alarm goes off. It doesn't happen all the time, but must be a fault somewhere?  Would the Hawk "click to open" system, bypass this problem occuring? 

Oh, and the flashing corner lights when locking/unlocking, are they legal?  Is it only bleeps that are illegal. My Car doesn't flash the lights. Volume controlled bleep as a member on here instructed me how to set. 

The passenger door is fine, not sure if this is another Toyota thing but mine auto locks all the doors once you reach 20MPH. The driver’s side auto opens when you pull the interior handle but the rest remain locked until you manually press either the driver’s open all doors button or the passenger one hence my other half sometimes struggling to get the door open. With this new system fitted all the door locks open when the ignition is turned off so saves pressing the interior button,

Not sure about the trunk opening setting off the alarm but mine doesn’t even if the car is locked.

I don’t think the indicators flashing when the alarm sets or un-sets is a problem,, my company vehicle does the same but chirps as well, if I could have been bothered I could probably wired the existing chirp that you get with the OEM remote key into the system.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote  This particular unit has the facility to remote open the boot (although the symbol on the fob is for sound mute on a TV) .The early LS400s with a single button key fob did not have this feature so this is a nice addition. The instructions say a relay is required but this is already fitted OEM so it was just a case of wiring to the boot release switch. Simply hold the fob button for 3 seconds to pop the boot. Unquote

Quick Question Steve.  Can you unlock the boot whilst the Engine is running using this new system.  Worried it may upset some circuitry as you can't open the boot in my Car using the lever when the Engine is running. Not tried opening with 2nd key when engine running.

Also where is the Relay located? Need check if I have one.

Thanks

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Yes it does open the boot with the engine running, mine has always been like that so fitting the kit made no difference.

They all have an integrated relay, regarding location all I can tell you is that it is located somewhere around or maybe in the under dash fuse board on the driver’s side. When I pulled the remote lever in the car I could hear it click.

Like most systems in a Lexus the circuit is completed by grounding to chassis, in the case of the boot switch 12 volts is present on one side of the remote boot switch and the other terminal is connected to earth ( Battery negative). When you pull the lever the switch contacts close completing the circuit. Current then flows through the relay whose contacts also close completing the circuit to the boot opening actuator.