Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So after looking at the data sheet for my AGM Battery I can see it uses Ca/Ca technology and based on the email responses above from ctek (calcium batteries require a higher voltage) it therefore requires charging to 14.7V using AGM mode.

FB50529F-50F7-4466-9E33-C20EEFC24336.png

Thanks for the information Ricky and Herbie from now on I am not going to use recon in any mode and just keep it on normal charge if I am not using it for more than a week.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Herbie said:

So what's the point you're making Barry because I'm not sure?

The quote from CTEK's website doesn't seem make sense - ....................................................

Yes that's the point I was making, that they had another explanation, some of which did not make sense or was irrelevant.  What is clear is that CTEK and their support team need to write their manual in way that gives no cause for doubt because there is a lot of uncertainty as forums have shown.  The two issues I raised, one about connecting the negative of charger remotely to chassis as CTEK and Lexus suggested and the other about  what AGM batteries can be Recond on the CTEK have been clarified.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

Annoyingly though Cteks email (and what I've read elsewhere) contradicts the manual which states to use normal mode for Ca/CA batteries.

Screenshot_2020-04-14-19-42-51-100_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

I charged the AGM Battery on my wife’s car, using the normal setting. I didn’t think to check either the Battery or the charger for different settings, because as has already be said on here the ctek is a smart charger and has built in automatic protection . I left it on for 2 days , did the job perfectly no problems.

• 5 months later...

Very interesting, I have had the same problem on my 2017 Gs 300h, and since you cannot open the boot to access the Battery, I have had to jump start it a few times. Lexus Customer Relations informed me that I may have damaged the Battery by jump starting. How else is one meant to start the engine? I have seen that certain batteries have a warranty of 4 years, (Bosch for instance) do not know what it is on the same Panasonic Battery that you mention.
Lexus seems to be washing their hands of the problem. Anyone else had the same problem with this model?

11 minutes ago, Willex said:

Very interesting, I have had the same problem on my 2017 Gs 300h, and since you cannot open the boot to access the battery, I have had to jump start it a few times. Lexus Customer Relations informed me that I may have damaged the battery by jump starting. How else is one meant to start the engine? I have seen that certain batteries have a warranty of 4 years, (Bosch for instance) do not know what it is on the same Panasonic battery that you mention.
Lexus seems to be washing their hands of the problem. Anyone else had the same problem with this model?

William, If you jump started in accordance with the instructions given in the Owner`s Handbook, then Lexus is talking through its backside.

Very interesting, I have had the same problem on my 2017 Gs 300h, and since you cannot open the boot to access the battery

For future reference you can access the boot with flat Battery - just use the standard key that is part of the remote, lock is situated next to licence plate lights.

• Like 1

Thanks Peter, had a look now, located opposite side to the automatic boot opener - had been looking for one - it was covered with black dirt.
Very useful to know so it can be charged - problem was I could only access under the bonnet because I could only get the leads to the front of the car (in driveway).

Thank you very much, Lexus never mentioned it when I had the problem 👍 

Of course John, but the handbook I was given was an RX 450 manual, however it would not have made any difference because, as I said, would not have been able to get jump leads there anyhow !😁

2 minutes ago, Willex said:

Of course John, but the handbook I was given was an RX 450 manual, however it would not have made any difference because, as I said, would not have been able to get jump leads there anyhow !😁

Sorry, William it was meant jokeingly.

Glad you know of its existence anyway.. Enjoy.

Edited by royoftherovers
typo

Not a problem John. The thing about the problem with my Battery was that it initially went flat during lockdown, but I was running the engine at least twice a week for around 15mins each time and moving it to and fro to release brakes. Only 30k on the clock now, of which 1k was done since lockdown. So very disappointed, although I know its something that can need changing. Bosch batteries give 4 year warranty. Not sure about the Panasonic (same as yours it looks like)

• Like 1

You could do a test to see if there is a drain to the Battery you not aware of or if the Battery is at fault. Lead acid Battery don't like fully discharged even for a short period, it may never be the same again. 

A multi meter and some long wire is all you need, and time of course. I no longer have a AGM Battery in my 450H, just the normal bosch 12V Battery which fit the Battery tray and I have a Bluetooth Battery monitor attached to monitor it so I can top up if I need to around 3-4 weeks without moving it etc.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:45 PM, Willex said:

I was running the engine at least twice a week for around 15mins each time

I wonder if 15 minutes is long enough to recharge the Battery by the amount it has used to get the car to Ready state plus replenish the amount lost since the car was last run. At the start of the lockdown Lexus recommended putting the car in Ready state for an hour once a week. So that's only one startup to Ready mode each week instead of two; and 60 mins charging in total instead of 30. I don't know what any of the figures are for draining or recharging the Battery in these examples but maybe the longer but less frequent charge might be worth a try. That's what I've been doing and haven't had a problem starting the car.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it seemed easier to post here rather than start a new one.

My car (2010 GS450h, 65K miles, regularly serviced) sat for three weeks without being used - it started instantly and I completed a return trip of around 80 miles without any issue starting (couple of stops).  Next day I drove 5 miles and parked, turned everything off and took the key with me.  About an hour later, got into the car and all was mad - steering wheel didn't move, centre display didn't light up, loads of warning lights on dash, CVT error warning on dash display.  Thinking it needed a reset, I powered everything off and locked the car with the remote and unlocked it again... drivers door wouldn't unlock.  Clambered out through the passengers side (that's a big centre console to get over lol) and the drivers door unlocked as usual from the outside.  Turns out the 12v Battery was low... started with a jump pack and charged absolutely fine and had absolutely no issues since, despite the car sitting for up to two week at a time. AA chap tested the Battery and it was absolutely fine (he didn't even try and sell me a replacement) but had no explanation and so far no one has been able to offer any reasonable one.  Any ideas gratefully received

35 minutes ago, Shornw said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it seemed easier to post here rather than start a new one.

My car (2010 GS450h, 65K miles, regularly serviced) sat for three weeks without being used - it started instantly and I completed a return trip of around 80 miles without any issue starting (couple of stops).  Next day I drove 5 miles and parked, turned everything off and took the key with me.  About an hour later, got into the car and all was mad - steering wheel didn't move, centre display didn't light up, loads of warning lights on dash, CVT error warning on dash display.  Thinking it needed a reset, I powered everything off and locked the car with the remote and unlocked it again... drivers door wouldn't unlock.  Clambered out through the passengers side (that's a big centre console to get over lol) and the drivers door unlocked as usual from the outside.  Turns out the 12v battery was low... started with a jump pack and charged absolutely fine and had absolutely no issues since, despite the car sitting for up to two week at a time. AA chap tested the battery and it was absolutely fine (he didn't even try and sell me a replacement) but had no explanation and so far no one has been able to offer any reasonable one.  Any ideas gratefully received

Keep using it frequently and buy a CTEC MX5 Charger and keep it connected whilst you are not using the car.

A new Battery for that model from Lexus is very expensive. https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-Reconditions-Motorcycle/dp/B00FC42HAA/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2JU1FKOSZQKHM&dchild=1&keywords=ctek+mxs+5.0&qid=1600939457&sprefix=ctek%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-2

The problem with my Lexus Battery was sorted by a Lexus Centre yesterday and the problem was a dead cell. It was explained to me that the ‘starting’ Battery has only that function, starting the engine,  - after that the computer and other batteries take over the management for running the car .... this includes charging the main ‘starting’ Battery.

Lexus uk stated that they had posted information on their blog as to how to ensure that the problem of risking a flat Battery could be eliminated by starting the car and letting it run for about an hour in a stationary position. Unfortunately, unless you went on to their blog then you would have been none the wiser, since no general information was received, - well not by me anyhow.

The Lexus centre have been magnificent, whilst Lexus Uk were not really helpful.

19 minutes ago, Willex said:

The problem with my Lexus battery was sorted by a Lexus Centre yesterday and the problem was a dead cell. It was explained to me that the ‘starting’ battery has only that function, starting the engine,  - after that the computer and other batteries take over the management for running the car .... this includes charging the main ‘starting’ battery.

Lexus uk stated that they had posted information on their blog as to how to ensure that the problem of risking a flat battery could be eliminated by starting the car and letting it run for about an hour in a stationary position. Unfortunately, unless you went on to their blog then you would have been none the wiser, since no general information was received, - well not by me anyhow.

The Lexus centre have been magnificent, whilst Lexus Uk were not really helpful.

Thanks William. Which Lexus Centre did you use?

Can you provide a link to the Lexus Blog please ? The information you refer to has been published widely on this website ?

Was your Battery replaced under Warranty ?

Was there no information in your Handbook ?

I used Lexus Centre in Chester who have maintained the car for the last 3 years.

Not sure about the Lexus blog, I was told by Lexus UK in one of my many email communications. 
My Battery was just out of warranty but continuous pressure on Lexus Uk by myself and the Service Centre secured a new Battery.

I do not have a Handbook for the model I have and have continuously requested a correct one, if the information was in the handbook why would Lexus UK put the information on the blog?

16 minutes ago, Willex said:

I used Lexus Centre in Chester who have maintained the car for the last 3 years.

Not sure about the Lexus blog, I was told by Lexus UK in one of my many email communications. 
My battery was just out of warranty but continuous pressure on Lexus Uk by myself and the Service Centre secured a new battery.

I do not have a Handbook for the model I have and have continuously requested a correct one, if the information was in the handbook why would Lexus UK put the information on the blog?

Hi William, welcome to L.O.C. and many thanks for the quick response.

I use Lexus Chester too. Tom is outstanding and David is settling in well.

The provision of a new Battery was welcomed I am sure, but it was what was required.

If you go onto the Lexus.co.uk website an look under "Owners" you can download a copy of the Manual.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/about-my-lexus/manuals/#manuals-form

I do not know if the information you needed was in the Handbook I merely asked if you had looked.

Anyway, as I have said, WELCOME. and do enjoy the quality vehicle you have.