Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is300h - High yearly mileage service intervals?

Hello friends! 

I've just bought my first Lexus, a beautiful black 2017 mod. is300h Sport. I live in Sweden but I hope we can get along anyway 😄 

I am going to be using this car 80% for different work travels and I put in a *lot* of miles in a year - appx 45,000 km's / 28,000 miles yearly. The vast majority of these miles are motorway. Coming from 10+ year old BMW diesels that I've done all the work on myself, the servicing intervals for the Lexus came as a bit of a shock. This would mean I'd have to be doing 2x minor services and 1x full services every year to retain the warranty!Â đŸ€‘

Does anybody else have any experience doing these kind of miles and whether there are any more affordable schedules you could follow? Does anyone do their servicing themselves? 

I will be asking my local Lexus about this for the next service of course but would be helpful if any of you had some input. 🙂 

Thanks!

Standard interval in the UK is 10k miles. There is a higher one for higher mileage owners which is 12.5k miles. All Toyota/Lexus vehicles are 10k in Europe, less in the US. They don't do variable service internals + expensive oil like the German manufacturers, they maintain reliability over wanting to please fleet owners.

Sorry to highjack this thread but I have noticed that you are a global moderator Colin and I wonder if you could enlighten me, I want to export my UK bought Lexus to France where I now live and was wondering about extended warranty and roadside assistance which I would like to continue. The car is three years old and the extended warranty runs out in the UK in September. Can I renew this in France, if so how?

12 hours ago, westo3 said:

Sorry to highjack this thread but I have noticed that you are a global moderator Colin and I wonder if you could enlighten me, I want to export my UK bought Lexus to France where I now live and was wondering about extended warranty and roadside assistance which I would like to continue. The car is three years old and the extended warranty runs out in the UK in September. Can I renew this in France, if so how?

Global in this case just means I moderate across all the forums on this site. You would need to purchase the warranty in France, the UK one is underwritten by a UK company so wouldn't cover you in France, beyond the 90 day European travel allowance. Whether Lexus France would provide a warranty on a UK vehicle I don't know, you would have to contact them. The alternative would be to take out roadside assistance directly and find a 3rd party warranty provider in France.

You could contact Lexus GB to see if they know if this is possible - you can't be the first person to do this.

On 4/12/2020 at 5:29 PM, mtDrews said:

Hello friends! 

I've just bought my first Lexus, a beautiful black 2017 mod. is300h Sport. I live in Sweden but I hope we can get along anyway 😄 

I am going to be using this car 80% for different work travels and I put in a *lot* of miles in a year - appx 45,000 km's / 28,000 miles yearly. The vast majority of these miles are motorway. Coming from 10+ year old BMW diesels that I've done all the work on myself, the servicing intervals for the Lexus came as a bit of a shock. This would mean I'd have to be doing 2x minor services and 1x full services every year to retain the warranty!Â đŸ€‘

Does anybody else have any experience doing these kind of miles and whether there are any more affordable schedules you could follow? Does anyone do their servicing themselves? 

I will be asking my local Lexus about this for the next service of course but would be helpful if any of you had some input. 🙂 

Thanks!

Hello mtDrews, welcome to Lexus Owners

I average 50,000 miles (approx 80,000 kms) a year in my is300h, I do all my servicing, however I buy all the parts from my local Lexus dealers. Because of the way I use my Lexus and the mileage I do I knew that warranty wasn't worth the paper it was written on so I didn't bother with it.

I knew that I would be doing a high annual mileage and so went to the dealers and asked for 10 oil, air and pollen filters. I have bought the spark plugs from a Denso agent at more than half the price of the Lexus branded spark plugs (that are Denso). I can do a complete filter change along with oil drain and refill in less than 30 mins these days, spake plugs take about half an hour and a set of brake pads in less than 45 mins from pulling up to pulling out of the garage, they really are a very easy car to work on.

Oil I buy from the dealers when I need it as I don't like to keep a large stock of it, because I spoke to the dealers when I first bought the car and asked for the 10 service kits they have repeatedly given me discount on other parts that I have needed. I do from time to time also look at non genuine parts as well and do use brands that have a good reputation.

A lot of people have said that having a full dealer service history adds value to a car, if I was selling a car that had done 75,000 miles then I would be willing to accept this, mine will be closer to 200,000 miles when I sell mine and I can't see a dealer history adding that much to it already limited value. That said I will have a stack of dealer receipts to show for items that I have purchased.

Because of my mileage every service I do is a large service, all the filters get changed, things like fluids get changed when the service schedule requires them, with the exception of the gearbox fluid, I did this at 100,000 miles but will do the next one at 150,000 miles (in a few weeks) and I need to pop back to the dealers to buy another 5 sets of filters as well, that should take me to 200,000 miles

• Like 4

On 4/13/2020 at 9:12 PM, Jayw13702 said:

Hello mtDrews, welcome to Lexus Owners

I average 50,000 miles (approx 80,000 kms) a year in my is300h, I do all my servicing, however I buy all the parts from my local Lexus dealers. Because of the way I use my Lexus and the mileage I do I knew that warranty wasn't worth the paper it was written on so I didn't bother with it.

I knew that I would be doing a high annual mileage and so went to the dealers and asked for 10 oil, air and pollen filters. I have bought the spark plugs from a Denso agent at more than half the price of the Lexus branded spark plugs (that are Denso). I can do a complete filter change along with oil drain and refill in less than 30 mins these days, spake plugs take about half an hour and a set of brake pads in less than 45 mins from pulling up to pulling out of the garage, they really are a very easy car to work on.

Oil I buy from the dealers when I need it as I don't like to keep a large stock of it, because I spoke to the dealers when I first bought the car and asked for the 10 service kits they have repeatedly given me discount on other parts that I have needed. I do from time to time also look at non genuine parts as well and do use brands that have a good reputation.

A lot of people have said that having a full dealer service history adds value to a car, if I was selling a car that had done 75,000 miles then I would be willing to accept this, mine will be closer to 200,000 miles when I sell mine and I can't see a dealer history adding that much to it already limited value. That said I will have a stack of dealer receipts to show for items that I have purchased.

Because of my mileage every service I do is a large service, all the filters get changed, things like fluids get changed when the service schedule requires them, with the exception of the gearbox fluid, I did this at 100,000 miles but will do the next one at 150,000 miles (in a few weeks) and I need to pop back to the dealers to buy another 5 sets of filters as well, that should take me to 200,000 miles

Hey Jayw13702 thanks for the welcome and input 🙂

That's an interesting approach. How often do you end up doing the differential oil change? Also I didn't know the CVT required oil changes?

How are you finding the is300h for the long journeys you do, are you happy with the car?

Hey Jayw13702 thanks for the welcome and input [emoji846]
That's an interesting approach. How often do you end up doing the differential oil change? Also I didn't know the CVT required oil changes?
How are you finding the is300h for the long journeys you do, are you happy with the car?

I change the diff oil every 40,000 miles, it’s such a straightforward job to do and again it insures that everything runs smoothly.
I have had a number of Prius in the past and it was widely acknowledged that changing the transmission fluid every 100,000 miles prolonged the life of the gearbox, Summer owners were changing fluids at 50,000 miles.
Toyota and Lexus will tell you that the oil is suitable for the life of the vehicle but when you ask them what they consider to be an acceptable lifespan/milage they can’t give you an accurate figure. The cost of the transmission fluid is fairly steep but it is unique to the hybrid CVT gearbox and if it means that I do 200,000 or 300,000 miles without any issue then for me that’s a price worth paying.
On long journeys it is great, I will easily do 500 miles a day and not have any back pain or any discomfort. My customers love the car and frequently comment on how smooth it drives and how quiet it is.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 12:24 PM, Jayw13702 said:

I change the diff oil every 40,000 miles, it’s such a straightforward job to do and again it insures that everything runs smoothly.
I have had a number of Prius in the past and it was widely acknowledged that changing the transmission fluid every 100,000 miles prolonged the life of the gearbox, Summer owners were changing fluids at 50,000 miles.
Toyota and Lexus will tell you that the oil is suitable for the life of the vehicle but when you ask them what they consider to be an acceptable lifespan/milage they can’t give you an accurate figure. The cost of the transmission fluid is fairly steep but it is unique to the hybrid CVT gearbox and if it means that I do 200,000 or 300,000 miles without any issue then for me that’s a price worth paying.
On long journeys it is great, I will easily do 500 miles a day and not have any back pain or any discomfort. My customers love the car and frequently comment on how smooth it drives and how quiet it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of great information here, thank you!