Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300H for short journey

4 hours ago, matt8 said:

Local independent (not dealership).

My annual service costs around £120 and I have a cheap local MOT place doing no pass no fee, charging £15.

Matt, such local garages- do they do hybrid Battery checks? I thought that is required for a valid warranty on the Battery.

1 hour ago, solarpower said:

Matt, such local garages- do they do hybrid battery checks? I thought that is required for a valid warranty on the battery.

You really don't need to worry about any kind of warranty on these cars, its the USP of Lexus/Toyota. 

If you want to see what kind of cars/brand you need a warranty on here is the list of things that I've had done on warranty on our Tesla. The Tesla is currently still only 2.5 years old and done just over 35K miles. Our IS300H doesn't have much competition on the need for extended warranty front :).

• 1: Boot not shutting without alarm.
  • 2: Steering wheel damaged needed to be replaced.
  • 3: Drivers seat 'rocking' needed to be replaced.
  • 4: Very loud rattle from drivers A pillar needed A pillar rebuild.
  • 5: Wipers not aligned.
  • 6: Door sensors not the most uptodate, prevented software updates, needed to be replaced.
  • 7: Both sun visors rattled and needed to be replaced.
  • 8: Front suspension failure - both front upper control arms failed and needed to be towed for recovery/repair.
  • 9: Front driver door lock actuator failed - couldn't close/lock main drivers door!! 
  • 10: Both main media computer and instrument display LCD panels failing, needs replacement.
  • 11: Wipers wash hose corroded needed replacing. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, solarpower said:

Matt, such local garages- do they do hybrid battery checks? I thought that is required for a valid warranty on the battery.

They don't typically, Solar.

But I believe Lexus will do a standalone check for around £90 if you want one.

As Gang says, no need to worry too much!

11 minutes ago, matt8 said:

They don't typically, Solar.

But I believe Lexus will do a standalone check for around £90 if you want one.

As Gang says, no need to worry too much!

In terms of warranty what you get is 2 free MOTs AA full breakdown coverage on a personal cover for you and and another person . It’s a really sweet deal as if you bought these separately then it would cost a lot more. We had to use extended warranty on our car and without it it would have costed £4,000. It’s the piece of mind really. 

51 minutes ago, holiday said:

We had to use extended warranty on our car and without it it would have costed £4,000. It’s the piece of mind really. 

Well don't ever buy a Tesla!!

Tesla have now stopped doing extended warranties, just the media computer screen is replacment £2k. Tesla's Battery warranty is also not worth the paper it's written on, they are actively reducing pack capacity and performance to make sure the packs fail after the 8 year warranty period is up.

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a warranty on anything, but interms of car brands Lexus/Toyota are one of the few brands I would say you can feel fairly secure in the reliability of the product regardless of warranty status.

10 hours ago, Charlie Alder said:

Hello to you all and trust you are keeping well. A question for Easterlily. In your post you say the HV battery was replaced after 5 years. Why was this?  The life expectancy of the battery is much longer than 5 years or am I missing something.

8 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I don`t think he means HV Battery, he means 12v battery.

The HV Battery is warranted by Toyota/Lexus for 15 years subject to certain conditions. 

Yes. My apologies I did mean the regular 12V Battery that all cars have even through i wrote HV. Its a typo.

I didnt knoe however that Lexus expects 15 years+ from their hybrid batteries. How can this even be possible. With the way batteries takes damage over time for being inflicted by heat, wear and constant charge and decharge it should lose a portion of its capacity each year. Its a NiMH Battery right? 

I understand that the hybrid system does make a good effort to keep the Battery lifetime as long as possible and makes sure it never pushes to a full charge and never reaches low capacity but damn 15 years thats a crazy amount of charging cycles!

4 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Well don't ever buy a Tesla!!

Tesla have now stopped doing extended warranties, just the media computer screen is replacment £2k. Tesla's battery warranty is also not worth the paper it's written on, they are actively reducing pack capacity and performance to make sure the packs fail after the 8 year warranty period is up.

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a warranty on anything, but interms of car brands Lexus/Toyota are one of the few brands I would say you can feel fairly secure in the reliability of the product regardless of warranty status.

It wasn’t a Tesla can’t afford one. It’s a lexus which we have and had to use their extended warranty and the cost was £4K to get it repaired. 

4 hours ago, Easterlily said:

I didnt knoe however that Lexus expects 15 years+ from their hybrid batteries. How can this even be possible.

The Toyota system essentially only cycles the Battery through about 60% SOC I believe which massively helps reduce degredation.

The other thing that kills batteries is rapid recharge and discharge rates. Even our base Tesla will dump over 300KW of energy on demand from a 75kWh pack, and recharge at close to 2C. The latest 300KW chargers from Porsche are doing over 3C sustained charging, that kind of energy transfer is what kills Battery packs.

Up until recently Tesla had a fantastic reputation for making HV that lasts, but all that has changed in the last 12 months. It's now clear abused lithium ion packs simply cannot last the test of time, Tesla are actively limiting charging speed, pack capacity via software changes to get out of mass warranty claims which would bankrupt the company over night!!

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/sudden-loss-of-range-with-2019-16-x-software.154976/

Compare this to how well a Toyota Prius lasts over 200K miles, the difference is night and day.

We were all set to replace our IS300H with a Model 3, we even had one on order!! But am really glad we cancelled the Tesla order and keeping the IS300H, the Battery data coming out of Tesla in the last 6 month is rather worrying, and Tesla have been very aggressive in keeping that data out of mass media streams with lots of NDAs been used/legal threats to various sources.

If you want guaranteed reliability (Warranty or not), the Lexus/Toyota is in a league of their own. Compared to a plugin in hybrid or full EV you really have no worries on the reliability front!!

Having owned an EV now since 2015 I have a nasty feeling Battery gate (for full EVs) will be main automobile industry headlines come 2025. All that money VW has spend on EV development post dieselgate may all be wasted!!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 6:09 PM, holiday said:

In terms of warranty what you get is 2 free MOTs AA full breakdown coverage on a personal cover for you and and another person . It’s a really sweet deal as if you bought these separately then it would cost a lot more. We had to use extended warranty on our car and without it it would have costed £4,000. It’s the piece of mind really. 

I take that all of you bought your car from the authorised dealer. It seems I might be able to negotiate a deal with a FCA/Jeep dealer who happened to have an IS300H- may be because someone part exchanged- the Lexus is 15 reg with 45K miles and due for the  5th service with 1 owner. 1) As it seems a Lexus extended warranty costs like £800, so that needs to knocked off. 2) I am asking the guy to get the latest service done by Lexus- which is like £400. Is there anything else I should be worried or check ? 

Thanks,

Solar

If you purchase an extended warranty from Lexus without an existing policy in place then they may charge you for an inspection fee to make sure there are no pre-existing faults. That is normally waved if you get a service done at the same time so if the FCA dealer is going to get the service done, speak to the Lexus dealer and let them know you want a warranty once you purchase it, within a few days or the service, or get the FCA dealer to purchase the warranty at the time of service to avoid you having to pay the inspection fee.

If the dealer is smart they should know the Lexus warranty is for two years, so they may only allow for £400 for just one year - be prepared for that discussion.

Brake calliper (sliding pins) sticking is a common issue, and probably won't be covered under warranty so check discs are free from corrosion. Ideally you would want them to remove sliding pins and grease up (5 minute job x 4 corners), and resolve any seizing/corrosion as required.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

If you purchase an extended warranty from Lexus without an existing policy in place then they may charge you for an inspection fee to make sure there are no pre-existing faults. That is normally waved if you get a service done at the same time so if the FCA dealer is going to get the service done, speak to the Lexus dealer and let them know you want a warranty once you purchase it, within a few days or the service, or get the FCA dealer to purchase the warranty at the time of service to avoid you having to pay the inspection fee.

If the dealer is smart they should know the Lexus warranty is for two years, so they may only allow for £400 for just one year - be prepared for that discussion.

Brake calliper (sliding pins) sticking is a common issue, and probably won't be covered under warranty so check discs are free from corrosion. Ideally you would want them to remove sliding pins and grease up (5 minute job x 4 corners), and resolve any seizing/corrosion as required.

Hi just to inform you that the callipers are included with the warranty it’s just the brake pads and disks which are not covered. Here is the list of what’s covered:

YOU’RE COVERED FOR
1. Engine components
2. Clutch
3. Gearbox and manual transmission
4. Automatic transmission
5. Four wheel drive transmission
6. Rear axle
7. Propshaft
8. Suspension
9. Braking system
10. Turbocharger
11. Fuel system
12. Diesel injection systems

13. Electronic ignition
14. Electrics
15. Oil leaks
16. Cooling system

17. Steering
18. Air conditioning

19. Casings
20. Hybrid Battery

YOU’RE NOT COVERED FOR
1. Serviceable items
2. Drive belt adjustments
3. Brake and clutch
adjustments and
replacements due to wear
4. Glass replacements due to
breakages or impact
Further details can be found in the full Terms and Conditions.
5. Lights, bulbs and headlight adjustment
6. Window and doorlock adjustments
7. Paintwork and bodywork 8. Battery (HV Battery on
Hybrids is covered)

9. Interior trim
10. Corrosion to the exhaust 11. Road wheels

i hope this helps. 

Yep, I had 3 calipers replaced on my IS220d during my ownership that were covered by the warranty.

They probably did just need some lubrication, but I am not going to argue over free new calipers :smile:

18 hours ago, holiday said:

Hi just to inform you that the callipers are included with the warranty it’s just the brake pads and disks which are not covered. Here is the list of what’s covered:

Not covered under a warranty that is just taken out - pre-existing fault.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links